Moving to Chile from the UK

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
hlf2888

Re: Moving to Chile from the UK

Post by hlf2888 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Andres wrote:
emanresu wrote:but languages are just no her cup of tea
I know you said she is from a Spanish-speaking country, but keep in mind that the Chileans do not speak Spanish....
funny but true

patto

Post by patto » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:43 pm

emanresu wrote:
Andres wrote: I know you said she is from a Spanish-speaking country, but keep in mind that the Chileans do not speak Spanish.

As an example, I know an Argentinian-Mexican couple; the Argentinian wife has to translate for her Mexican husband what the Chileans are saying.
Yes, I am well aware of that. I have purchased a book Chilenismos by Daniel Joelson and I am also watching Chilean TV. I am already familiar with many local expressions and understand Chilean films, telenovelas, talk shows quite well. On the other hand, when I watched a documentary about prison inmates I only understood the reporter, however I am not sure if I would understand British or American prison slang any better.
True. I could speak to an American in British slang, never mind prison slang and he wouldn't have a clue what I'd be saying.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Brexit is not a problem because nothing has happened yet, and will not for at least two years.

You mention it might threaten her immigration status, so what sort of visa does she have ?

emanresu

Post by emanresu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 am

Billhere wrote:Brexit is not a problem because nothing has happened yet, and will not for at least two years.

You mention it might threaten her immigration status, so what sort of visa does she have ?
Right now she has a piece of paper issued by the Home Office saying that she can stay and work until decision is made. We are not sure that she will eventually qualify under British immigration rules. If not, then I might have to renounce my British citizenship and apply under EU free movement rules since I hold the citizenship of another EU country as well. With Brexit, however, this option might disappear.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 am

Good idea to research the prison system in advance. You never know how badly a move could turn out. Good to have all the bases covered. That is pretty thorough.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:31 pm

emanresu wrote:
Andres wrote: I know you said she is from a Spanish-speaking country, but keep in mind that the Chileans do not speak Spanish.

As an example, I know an Argentinian-Mexican couple; the Argentinian wife has to translate for her Mexican husband what the Chileans are saying.
Yes, I am well aware of that. I have purchased a book Chilenismos by Daniel Joelson and I am also watching Chilean TV. I am already familiar with many local expressions and understand Chilean films, telenovelas, talk shows quite well. On the other hand, when I watched a documentary about prison inmates I only understood the reporter, however I am not sure if I would understand British or American prison slang any better.
How disrespectful of conquered paises from the Spaniards. Spain teaches the real lenguaje to Latin Americas but then they all screw up the doctrine from the "Real Academia" and starts speaking type of dialects derived from Castellano...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

sqcpcg

Post by sqcpcg » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 pm

emanresu wrote: Yes, I am well aware of that. I have purchased a book Chilenismos by Daniel Joelson and I am also watching Chilean TV.
I don't know if she is of the Android persuasion, but if so, there is an app called Diccionario Chileno that may be helpful.
I am not sure if it is in the Playstore... if not, let me know and I'll figure out where I found it.

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 pm

sqcpcg wrote:
emanresu wrote: Yes, I am well aware of that. I have purchased a book Chilenismos by Daniel Joelson and I am also watching Chilean TV.
I don't know if she is of the Android persuasion, but if so, there is an app called Diccionario Chileno that may be helpful.
I am not sure if it is in the Playstore... if not, let me know and I'll figure out where I found it.
A quick search under "Diccionario Chileno" pulled up several sites for translating between Chilensis and Castellano, but English speakers are SOL.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:53 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
emanresu wrote:

How disrespectful of conquered paises from the Spaniards. Spain teaches the real lenguaje to Latin Americas but then they all screw up the doctrine from the "Real Academia" and starts speaking type of dialects derived from Castellano...
You would prefer that Latin America continued lisping?
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

sqcpcg

Post by sqcpcg » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:10 pm

papageno wrote:
sqcpcg wrote:
A quick search under "Diccionario Chileno" pulled up several sites for translating between Chilensis and Castellano, but English speakers are SOL.
The definitions in the Android app are in Spanish, however they are fairly straightforward and easy to comprehend. A person who knows a smattering of Spanish should do OK.... besides, someone who is looking up definitions of words should use multiple sources. They will expand their knowledge of the language. I didn't look at that fact as a showstopper since the OP had stated that his wife was from LA. Using the app is very quick, which is helpful when trying to look up a word before you forget it. The dictionary is stored locally on the Android device so it is always available regardless of whether or not you have an internet connection.

The app is located on F-Droid.org, a well known source of FOSS apps. They provide a downloader to make installing it straightforward. It is also possible to download the .APK and install it from a file manager.

sqcpcg

Post by sqcpcg » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
emanresu wrote:

You would prefer that Latin America continued lisping?
We got lucky with the seseo.... most of the conquistadores and their associated bands of miscreants came from Extremadura and central Andalucia around Seville where that dialect was common. Perhaps HA was not aware that even to this day in some parts of Spain people speak "proper" Spanish (from our point of view).... without the lithp :), so much for the King's Spanish

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:00 pm

You wouldn't need to renounce your Britidh Citizenship, just change your tax paying residency to a EU nation, easy enough to do, especially as it will be a long time until UK leaves EU if it does to that extent.

Not many countries don't allow dual nationalities these days, and the privilages that go with them, eg. Residency.

I would consider Uruguay and Peru. Not so much Argentina. Peru has fastest growing economy in south America and is much better value for money if thats what your looking for.

Chile sure is more stable and looks more like a European Latin nation, but don't expect it to be less stressful then the UK. There is a lot more waiting around and beauracracy then the UK. Expect things to be more complicated and expensive then you plan for.

With your work options, catering for both of you, chances are you would have to live in Santiago, which does have smog problems, protests and such. All things you should be aware of.

I've just returned to UK and saving myself a fortune on things like supermarket shopping and house hold items. In fact most things beside property you can get cheaper in UK then Chile. And then to compound that wages are much lower in Chile.