Moving to Chile from the UK

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Chile-Dog

Re: Moving to Chile from the UK

Post by Chile-Dog » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

You had better have at least $1,500 month to start with considering lodging, food, transportation. Santiago is not cheap unless you buy all your groceries from the feria. For more info visit https://extranijeros.blogspot.cl/

emanresu

Post by emanresu » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
I would consider Uruguay and Peru. Not so much Argentina. Peru has fastest growing economy in south America and is much better value for money if thats what your looking for.
What is better in Uruguay than in Chile? Both countries seem to be stable by Latin-American standards, but Uruguay is much smaller with shrinking population, has no mountains and outside of Montevideo you just see cattle farms. I understand that many Uruguayans emigrate to Argentina in search of opportunities in spite of Argentina's problems. The crime rate also seems to be higher in Uruguay than in Chile and the economy depends almost entirely on Argentina and Brazil, if these 2 giants sneeze Uruguay catches a cold. Perhaps free health care and education and not having earthquakes make up for this?

We didn't consider Peru, but will check it out. However, to be honest I would like to save as much as possible of my European lifestyle and Peru just seems to be a step too far.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 am

emanresu wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:
I would consider Uruguay and Peru. Not so much Argentina. Peru has fastest growing economy in south America and is much better value for money if thats what your looking for.
What is better in Uruguay than in Chile?

We didn't consider Peru, but will check it out. However, to be honest I would like to save as much as possible of my European lifestyle and Peru just seems to be a step too far.
You didn't define European lifestyle, but if you mean cafe life, arts, theatre and culture in general, you're talking about Buenos Aires. Which, from Uruguay, is only a boat ride away. I wouldn't want to live in BA (crime, chaos, congestion and smog), but it's good for an occasional visit.

emanresu

Post by emanresu » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:29 pm

papageno wrote: You didn't define European lifestyle, but if you mean cafe life, arts, theatre and culture in general, you're talking about Buenos Aires. Which, from Uruguay, is only a boat ride away. I wouldn't want to live in BA (crime, chaos, congestion and smog), but it's good for an occasional visit.
I visited Buenos Aires a few times and I quite liked it, also some other cities in Argentina, like Córdoba, Mendoza, San Juan seemed alright to me. I have never been to Chile or Uruguay.

As to European lifestyle I mean culture, theatre, opera etc. but also the urban space, where you can have a nice walk, pop in to a shop, a museum or just sit in a quiet park and read a book without fearing for your life. By contrast in most parts of the US city centres are deserted, without a car you are basically stranded, and in your suburb you cannot even walk to the corner shop if you've run out of milk.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:25 pm

BA could work for you then, with certain caveats:
Neighborhoods matter (a lot). Good ones might not fit your budget, and even good ones (Recoleta) can have slums very close by (Villa 31).
The air pollution can drive you off the street
sweltering summers, sometimes with blackouts that can last days
Outside the city (Uruguay too) the mosquitos can eat you alive.
But if you can work around these, and dealing with the locals. ..

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:50 pm

I live in Chillan and love it. Great farmer's market, modern mall,lots of restaurants, excellent supermarkets. They are just finishing a beautiful concert hall. Many summer activities. One hour from the beach. Been here seven months and am very happy. Much better than the U.S. In my opinion. Good luck to you.

PaulMountford

Post by PaulMountford » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi there.
Did you make the move to Chile?

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

The people in Uruguay are a different nature then Chile.
Its hard to explain with out sounding rude and generalising. But I enjoyed Montevideo.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 pm

OK, has to translate for her Mexican husband is a bit over the top, but to call it clean Spanish is also a wild exaggeration!