Help understanding terms used in car sale ad descriptions.

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
viciouskinid

Help understanding terms used in car sale ad descriptions.

Post by viciouskinid » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:11 am

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a 4x4 in Santiago in September to travel south america I am currently looking on yapo.cl and there are a few terms in the description that I would like help with. Can anyone explain what the below means?

1)
-Se vende solo fuera de la RM. es sello amarillo
-For sale only outside the RM. It is yellow label
What is the RM? what is yellow label?

2)
-revisión técnica
-technical review
I believe that cars in chile have to have a technical review each year and if this has been missed they seem to be very cheap. I am just making an assumption but I assume you cannot drive without this and if it is missed it is expensive/difficult to get it again that is why the car is cheap. Or there is also something wrong with it so it failed technical review. Is this correct? What happens if I am in Columbia when technical review is required. Will I be able to drive it into Chile again, or sell it when I am done? Can you extend it early so this is not the case?

3)
sin choques ni multas , papeles al dia
without shocks or fines, daily papers
What are "shocks" and "daily papers". How would I independently check if the car has either of these or if it has any fines or if there is a loan on the car etc..

4)
-OJO EL PRECIO ES PORQUE TIENE PRENDA Y LOS PAPELES
ESTAN ATRASADO XFABOR LLAMAR SOLO ENTENDIDOS
EN PRENDA NO SE PUEDE TRANSFERIR r r espondo a
cor r eos llamadas y whatsapp
-EYE HAS THE PRICE IS FOR GARMENT AND PAPERS
XFABOR ARE LATE CALL ONLY UNDERSTOOD
IN PLEDGE NOT BE TRANSFERRED to espondo rr
cor r cos calls and whatsapp
No idea? What is this...

5)
-ojo el vehículo es zona franca ,solo puede salir con pasavante por 90 días para fuera de la primera región
-eye the vehicle is free zone, can only come with special transit permit for 90 days out of the first region
This seem like it is restricted to one region, is this correct or am I way off. what is the 90 day transit permit?

6)
-el valor es comversable
I assume this means price is negotiable. Also, how negotiable are people on cars. Would you expect to get 5% or 20% reduced. I assume it would depend on the person but I was hoping to get an idea if they over price and expect you to drop it or not.

7)
Also not from Yapo but I was wondering what would be the best way to get a mechanic to check over the car before I buy it? I was planning on just walking in and asking.

bert.douglas

Re: Help understanding terms used in car sale ad descriptions.

Post by bert.douglas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 pm

viciouskinid wrote: ...
papeles al dia ---> daily papers
You are relying too much on google translate.
Literally this is "papers to the day"
It means the papers are current, up-to-date, not expired.

You might find these helpful:
http://www.linguee.es/
http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:42 pm

What is the RM? what is yellow label?
RM = Region Metropolitana, the region that contains Santiago.

Chile operates an inconvenient system of tiers for emissions compliance. I think this stuff is on the wiki, but in brief, there are three levels that I'm aware of: verde, amarillo and rojo (which is also a song by Gondwana). Green-stickered / sello verde cars comply with tighter emissions regulations, while red-stickered / sello rojo cars only comply with weaker emissions standards. Sello amarillo / yellow is in the middle.

On top of that, different regions have different requirements regarding what sello your car needs to drive unrestricted. In Iquique (Region de Tarapaca, more precisely) for example, there is no restriction on sello amarillo cars, so you will see lots of them. In Santiago, to drive unrestricted (apart from ad-hoc pre-emergencia and emergencia days) you need sello verde. This is ostensibly because Santiago is more polluted than other places, although as has been discussed on this forum in actual fact some places in the south also have terrible air quality due to widespread wood burning using wet wood in crappy stoves.

Anyhoo, I recommend you get a sello verde vehicle, which can in theory drive anywhere. If you're buying in Santiago, which you said you are, then it should be sello verde anyway. Sello amarillo vehicles will generally be cheaper, all other things being equal, but you are more restricted where you can drive it.
-revisión técnica
I believe that cars in chile have to have a technical review each year and if this has been missed they seem to be very cheap. I am just making an assumption but I assume you cannot drive without this and if it is missed it is expensive/difficult to get it again that is why the car is cheap. Or there is also something wrong with it so it failed technical review. Is this correct?
Yeah, sounds about right. You can't legally drive the car without a revision tecnica. Someone else will need to tell you if it's legal to sell the vehicle without one (I guess it is), but if they haven't got one it's almost certainly because the car won't pass without some mechanical work being done, which may well be related to the exhaust / catalytic converter, or may be some worse problem like a blown head-gasket causing the engine to burn oil or coolant. The revision tecnica is a safety / road worthiness check, so it could in theory be some trivial thing like a headlight not working, but if that were the case the seller would have fixed it himself.

My advice: don't buy a car without a revision tecnica.
What happens if I am in Columbia when technical review is required. Will I be able to drive it into Chile again, or sell it when I am done? Can you extend it early so this is not the case?
Well when you're in Colombia (not Columbia, btw) you'll have to comply with Colombian rules I guess. I think you're saying what happens when I try to re-enter Chile with an expired revision tecnica? I don't know, but I imagine you don't want to be in that situation.
choques means crashes / dings. Being "sin choques" is a Good Thing. He is saying the car hasn't crashed.

multas are fines (parking tickets etc.). The law previously was that you inherited any unpaid fines when you bought the car. This is such a stupid idea that even the Chilean government realized it was bad, and changed it, so this shouldn't be a problem. Having said that, knowing Chile I would be much happier knowing that the car has no unpaid fines associated with it, which is what is being said here.

'al dia' in this context means 'up to date', and the papeles are the car's paperwork. "papeles al dia" is a Good Thing. Apart from the afore-mentioned revision tecnica, a car needs some compulsory insurance (which doesn't cost much) and a permiso de circulacion, which is obtained from the municipality where you live.
OJO EL PRECIO ES PORQUE TIENE PRENDA Y LOS PAPELES
ESTAN ATRASADO XFABOR LLAMAR SOLO ENTENDIDOS
EN PRENDA NO SE PUEDE TRANSFERIR r r espondo a
cor r eos llamadas y whatsapp
Roughly translated this means: "DON'T BUY THIS CAR, RUN A MILE, STAY AWAY"
More seriously, this sounds dodgy as fuck. As a rule of thumb, I would regard anything written in block capitals as something you can (and should) safely ignore. The 'en prenda' part means (I think) that there is an outstanding loan on the car. "LOS PAPELES ESTAN ATRASADO" means the papers are 'delayed' - i.e. he's selling this vehicle without any papers. "NO SE PUEDE TRANSFERIR" means I think that he won't be able to transfer ownership to you (presumably because of the complete lack of papers). "XFABOR" is how illiterate pond-scum spell "por favor", apparently and "LLAMAR SOLO ENTENDIDOS" means only other dodgy crooks should call.
-ojo el vehículo es zona franca ,solo puede salir con pasavante por 90 días para fuera de la primera región
Yeah, the afore-mentioned Iquique in the first region has a zona franca. Here, vehicles may be purchased without VAT / IVA which makes them a lot cheaper. The catch is they can only be used in the first region (Tarapaca). You can take them out temporarily with some papework (the pasavante he's talking about) but that isn't much use to you. You can also 'liberate' them permanently, but only if you've lived in the 1st region for a number of years, or are a Chilean returning from living abroad after a number of years (and possibly in some other special cases), but this won't apply to you. And it costs a lot of money anyway. So this vehicle is of no use to you.
-el valor es comversable
I assume this means price is negotiable. Also, how negotiable are people on cars. Would you expect to get 5% or 20% reduced. I assume it would depend on the person but I was hoping to get an idea if they over price and expect you to drop it or not.
Correct. I'd say in general most people are open to a bit of haggling on used cars, unless they explicitly state that it's NOT 'conversable', but don't expect huge drops. Like if it's on for 3 million, you might get it for 2,900,000 or something. I wouldn't expect to knock them down by 20%. I don't think anyone will be super-offended by you asking, they can always just say no.
Also not from Yapo but I was wondering what would be the best way to get a mechanic to check over the car before I buy it? I was planning on just walking in and asking.
Yeah, I mean there's probably no harm in doing this, but a lot of the mechanics are pretty worthless. Maybe there's a nice mechanically minded gringo on the forum who'd help you out? Failing that, I guess try to find a garage that doesn't look dodgy, and go in and talk to them, maybe for a small fee they'd do it.

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Oh year, what I was going to say was that several of your questions seem to be about adverts you've seen where (presumably) the price seems v good but there's some story attached. I would just say: apply a bit of common sense - if it sounds too good to be true, it is. If there's a load of bullshit story attached to it, stay away - in particlar where they say "OJO blah blah blah" then just avoid. Just find a sello verde car with papeles al dia, sin multas, sin 'detalles', sin choques, that seems to have a price that is in line with the 'normal' price for similar vehicles (compare to other adverts) and where the person posting the advert isn't an illiterate fuck who writes things like "xfabor" or "OJO".

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:40 pm

OP's attachment reads the content refers to vehicle and its low price reflects to be for ZF car.
Where is patagoniax when he can do good deed.

If Gloria-san wants to help, she can do this translation very easily and pronto!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:OP's attachment reads the content refers to vehicle and its low price reflects to be for ZF car.
I have literally no idea what this means.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Your problem seems to be that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel - vehicles which are not good buys.
1)
-Se vende solo fuera de la RM. es sello amarillo
Cannot be driven in the Region Metropolitana, i.e. greater Santiago.

2)
-revisión técnica
Done once a year. Can be brought up to date with payment and fines but not worth doing.

3)
Never involved in a crash, no outstanding fines, all papers in order.

4)
-OJO EL PRECIO ES PORQUE TIENE PRENDA Y LOS PAPELES….
Do not touch this. Someone will repossess this before you can get a block away.

5)
-Can only be driven in the free zone except for 90 days a year outside of the Primera Region.
Forget this.

6)
-el valor es comversable
Willing to bargain the price.

7) Stop looking at ads in the newspaper and go to a decent used car dealer. Any workshop, "taller", will probably do a revision for a price.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Vehicles live very hard lives in Chile. Be prepared to pay more than you expect. I would also advise you to search the forum regarding multas and particularly RUT as the requirement to obtain one have changed. You will find many more vehicles at chileautos.cl, and there is also a function on their site to check to see if there are multas on a vehicle. Make sure you are in version web and look for a box marked " consulte multas no pagadas". You will have to enter the patente number.

viciouskinid

Post by viciouskinid » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks everyone, this forum is fantastic.

I now know what the above are and will steer clear if they are listed. How would I know if these issues are not listed (besides checking chileautos.cl for multas)? Is there a way to check these things myself? Will it say it on the registration papers:

Current papers
sello verde
Technical review
loan on the car
zona franca

Can you explain more about the "Sello amarillo" if this will only restrict driving in santiago I could just catch a bus in. 99.9% of my trip will be outside santiago so it might be worth the sacrifice. I am only looking to buy in santiago because that is where the plane lands and I assume it would be the easiest place to buy a car.

I understand that RUT conditions have changed and that I will need a local to sign for me. I am hoping that all will go well and I will be able to find someone to help me out. If there is anyone on here that would be interested in helping me out with this when I get to Chile there would be a coffee/beer in it for you. I can provide ample evidence that I am who I say I am.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 am

Do not buy with sello amarillo (or rojo for that matter). You want sello verde. Stop and think - why are they restricted? They are restricted in where they can drive because they are contamination machines and don't meet the minimum standards for being on the road. Think farm pick-up with exhaust pipe held on by wire.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 am

Couple of thoughts.

Did not pay much attention, but they recently announced in 2018 anything with catalitic converter was going to be banned from santiago. No idea what that means in practice.

Also, search the forum, but there are issues with none residents driving vehicals out of the country unless they formally export the vehical.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.