Might move to Santiago, Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Might move to Santiago, Chile

Post by admin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 am

It is not sexist if it is true.

Hey, bedroom skills aside, Chilean women make this country tick. In so far as things work here, it is because the women are making things work in spite of the men. I suppose you could say, if the men had more balls and actually took charge, Chile would be a basket case like the rest of latin america. On the other hand, you could say a culture that encourages men to defer to women to make decisions and get things done, is what saved Chile from the fate that the rest of Latin America suffers from. So the "mama's boy" syndrome, might not be the worst trait a culture could suffer from.

You walk in to an office (public or private), and need to get something done in Chile, you go to the women room; not the man. You might shake the male bosses hand out of politeness and keep his ego happy (if he is there at all), but then you talk to the next person on the totem pole that is a female to find out what is really going on and how to get what you need done. Many times it is the underpayed secretary or junior executive, with little to no formal education, really running the show; but, there are lot of companies and government offices, where there is a women at the top, she is the highest educated and qualified person in the building, and there are very few men in the room at all.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Wish there was a LIKE button...admin said:
Hey, bedroom skills aside, Chilean women make this country tick. In so far as things work here, it is because the women are making things work in spite of the men.
That has been my experience also. Whenever I had a bureaucratic tangle, it was a woman who sorted it out. The male bosses are usually too busy, maybe being transfixed on their egos? to help. So, now, when a problem arises especially with the municipality, I seek out the woman who has her office right next to the boss and results happen. Even in banks women are started to gain more power and position. YAY.

I agree also that this is probably part of the beauty of Chile and why this country is not involved in wars or aggression towards their neighbors. The underlying truth that women run the country but let the men take credit.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 pm

admin wrote:You walk in to an office (public or private), and need to get something done in Chile, you go to the women room; not the man. You might shake the male bosses hand out of politeness and keep his ego happy (if he is there at all), but then you talk to the next person on the totem pole that is a female to find out what is really going on and how to get what you need done. Many times it is the underpayed secretary or junior executive, with little to no formal education, really running the show
Wow, describes my younger stepdaughter perfectly. Not university schooled but the literal right hand (wo)man to the man in charge of a large insurance company. Has her own office with a view on the high 20 something floor right next to the office of that head honcho in Las Condes. He knows he can delegate whatever problem situation that arises and she will solve it.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:50 am

Deleted.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 am

admin wrote:Chilean women make this country tick. In so far as things work here, it is because the women are making things work in spite of the men.
Unfortunately, young Chilean males (at least the ones from Santiago), seem to have a sense of entitlement from an early age, contributing to them remaining less than useless, and it is almost impossible to cure them of it.
My stepsons, who emigrated from Chile to Australia ten months ago remain less than useless, and refuse to come up to the standards expected of them in Australia. All evidence points to the probability they will not evolve and will remain useless as adults as well.
I have put them on notice that their asses are going out the door by 31 December of the year they are scheduled to complete Year 12, even if they are put back a year in school (because of spending five to fifteen hours a day playing video games instead of becoming educated, social beings). Hopefully that will motivate them to get off their asses . . . but it hasn't happened yet.
It will be a rude shock to them that they will not be allowed to hang around like a bad smell until they are thirty years old.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.