Might move to Santiago, Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
amanaplan

Re: Might move to Santiago, Chile

Post by amanaplan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:16 pm

john wrote:Admin's comments were obvious satire, no? Expatbob's were just nasty and resentful. BTW, what's with the deleted content of your posts?
Well you could say that bob's comments were satire, I mean what constitutes satire is to some extent down to opinion, and in any case just because something is satire it doesn't mean people can't get offended by it. In any case, I don't really care - I don't agree with Bob's post, fwiw (I'm married to a Chilean woman) and I was merely trying to pour oil on troubled waters by pointing out that we all make generalisations and that bob's original comments were no worse than a lot of stuff that gets posted about Chilean men, but I guess you'd rather have the grievance. Thanks for checking back through my posts, btw; I made some posts that I decided to delete, hope that's ok with you.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Im just amazed that Fifty Shades Bob would share so much detail of his sex life on a (Penthouse) forum of this nature.
Wow.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

john

Post by john » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 pm

amanaplan wrote:
john wrote:Admin's comments were obvious satire, no? Expatbob's were just nasty and resentful. BTW, what's with the deleted content of your posts?
Well you could say that bob's comments were satire, I mean what constitutes satire is to some extent down to opinion, and in any case just because something is satire it doesn't mean people can't get offended by it. In any case, I don't really care - I don't agree with Bob's post, fwiw (I'm married to a Chilean woman) and I was merely trying to pour oil on troubled waters by pointing out that we all make generalisations and that bob's original comments were no worse than a lot of stuff that gets posted about Chilean men, but I guess you'd rather have the grievance. Thanks for checking back through my posts, btw; I made some posts that I decided to delete, hope that's ok with you.
You might say it, I wouldn't...you're really grasping at straws here. Yes, we all make generalisations about life in Chile, but I don't agree with you that Expatbob's original comments are in the same category as those posted about Chilean me. I stand by my grievance. You're welcome, though I would not have used the word some in describing the deletion of 80% of my posts. Actually, no, but it's not my call.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:57 pm

john wrote:
amanaplan wrote:
You might say it, I wouldn't...you're really grasping at straws here. Yes, we all make generalisations about life in Chile, but I don't agree with you that Expatbob's original comments are in the same category as those posted about Chilean me. I stand by my grievance. You're welcome, though I would not have used the word some in describing the deletion of 80% of my posts. Actually, no, but it's not my call.
Why are you picking a fight with me?

john

Post by john » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:04 pm

amanaplan wrote:
john wrote:
amanaplan wrote:
Why are you picking a fight with me?
I'm not picking a fight with you. I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of Expatbob's original comments. As to the deletion of your posts, that's between you and admin, though I do find it strange.
--- Bertrand Russell

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:14 pm

john wrote:I'm not picking a fight with you. I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of Expatbob's original comments. As to the deletion of your posts, that's between you and admin, though I do find it strange.
Well if it's between me and admin, as you say, what does it have to do with you? Why did you even bring it up? It's got precisely nothing to do with bob's comments.

john

Post by john » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:55 pm

amanaplan wrote:
john wrote:I'm not picking a fight with you. I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of Expatbob's original comments. As to the deletion of your posts, that's between you and admin, though I do find it strange.
Well if it's between me and admin, as you say, what does it have to do with you? Why did you even bring it up? It's got precisely nothing to do with bob's comments.
You're right, I shouldn't have brought it up. :oops:
--- Bertrand Russell

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:58 pm

I wonder if Bob reread his post this morning with a hangover and keyboard burns.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm

john wrote:
amanaplan wrote:
OK dude, look as I say I was actually trying to pour oil on troubled waters, guess it had the oppositve effect, but I genuinely don't want to argue with you or anyone else on this forum, so let's just leave it at that.

john

Post by john » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:10 pm

amanaplan wrote:
john wrote:
amanaplan wrote:
OK dude, look as I say I was actually trying to pour oil on troubled waters, guess it had the oppositve effect, but I genuinely don't want to argue with you or anyone else on this forum, so let's just leave it at that.
Appreciate your sentiments. Nor I with you. Fair enough.
--- Bertrand Russell

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:43 pm

seawolf180 wrote:I wonder if Bob reread his post this morning with a hangover and keyboard burns.
I haven't had a drink in weeks. But this is all great entertainment.

lotn

Post by lotn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 pm

admin wrote:Here is my theory. Chilean women that are bad in bed, it is because they have never really had good sex. The men are rather infamous for sucking in the sack. The cause of that is a whole mix of cultural issues. Among many others, super fragile male egos, living with mom until they are 30+, passive aggressive attitudes, general immaturity, just overall self-center / selfish approach to the world. Just look how men drive or do their job in Chile, especially the middle class of Santiago. Most of them are likely not all that different in the bedroom.
I was going to add my two cents in the form of Chilean men being thin-skinned mama's boys but again admin beat me to it. Very true.
amanaplan wrote:It's also interesting to note that when admin makes a post condemning the Chilean male everyone's like "lol, so true" but when Bob is rude about the Chilean female people get upset. White knight sexism is still sexism.
Similarly, those offended by ExpatBob's honest recounting of his experiences should also be offended of the comments about Chilean men, as it is Chilean women who are largely responsible for how they turn out. Your son is 29 years old, he can do some dishes for the love of god,