Internet vendors without company email addresses

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
danomene

Internet vendors without company email addresses

Post by danomene » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to move into an apartment building in Santiago, and there were a few flyers in the lobby about internet deals with Movistar (they suggest that the building, which is new, is wired for fiber internet). The only thing that concerns me a bit is that there are three (two flyers and a business card given by the concierge) that each have a different name and email address, none of which are company emails. Two are gmail and one is live.com. Is this kind of middleman thing normal, or is this a scam?

Thanks!

bow26

Re: Internet vendors without company email addresses

Post by bow26 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

I have a complementary health insurance, one of those ones you take out directly for a particular clinic usually, and the person who sold me that uses g-mail as well for her e-mail address.

That doesn't mean you won't get scammed but it does happen here, I get the impression that people don't see using a gmail/hotmail/whatever as seeming less professional than a company one...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:52 pm

The people who drop off the flyers don't actually work for the company. They get a commission for signing up new customers. If you want an internet connection, contact the company directly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 pm

yea, it is still 1995 (use to be 1981 when I got here) in terms of internet and technology. 99.9% of people in Chile think facebook IS the internet. A local politician we were talking to, that needed the votes of a poor section of town, told us that something like 80% of the town did not have internet so a web page would be a waist of time. So, I told him, that should be your campaign slogan "free internet for everyone". yea, nice guy, he did not get elected.

in spite of the natioanal stats about tech pentration in the society of Chile, it is still very very shallow.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 am

They are all sales people on commission only... if your not comfortable using them to hook up to the fibre, call movistar directly..

if there is another option that is not movistar, go with them cause movistar is terrible

One apartment i had i called VTR directly and they said my building didn't exist, i got the sales guy who dropped the flyer off to come in to my apartment he sorted it all out and cable was on the next day, so wasnt too bad of a deal!

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:20 am

You can get a reasonable job in Chile just by having proficiency in excel and word documents here, that's like university level stuff in some job applications. To be fair that is why there is so many academy's around teaching these different work related tasks.

Persoanally I chuck leaflets in the bin And phone companies direct, they'll still send a middle man around but at least I know it's a real one.

I'd go with vtr if you don't mind paying a bit extra, there customer service is umuch better then your normal Chilean stuff, they pick up phone qquickly and usually resolve any issues (including English dubbing activation) on their computer there and then.

danomene

Post by danomene » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 am

I was thinking about VTR, which I had in Concepcion, but on the higher end broadband it seems like the upload speed for VTR (2Mbps) is MUCH lower than for Movistar/Telefonica (5Mbps) for the 40Mbps service. Since I'm working remotely to the US (with some video chat needed and some gaming on the side) I'm concerned about the difference in speed.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 pm

I have 100mbps vtr. It works that speed internally and to Argentina is close, but anything central America distance and beyond you need download/upload acceleration software which only really works on files and some video websites,

danomene

Post by danomene » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Hmmm...I might have an issue. The person at the Movistar office said that I couldn't get internet without either a chilean work contract or a permanent residency. VTR also doesn't seem to connect at my building (although it is possible that I just didn't try the correct version of my street name, of which there seem to be 4).

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:59 pm

This all sounds a bit familiar. You could probably get someone else to sign up for it in their name and RUT and your address if you know such a person. Do you have a partner could they sign up for it. Much more difficult of course if you don't have such close contacts in the country.

You could try with another office incase they happen to give you a different answer (?).

You could try one of the third party vendors, and ask if they know a way around it.

Last resort get friendly with your next door neighbour and get their password??

Let me know how it works out as I may sign up for this company once they get around to laying down a cable to our house.

Their customer service is notoriously bad according to reports online, and I had similar experiences just trying to find out more without even being a customer.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Any updates on this problem? I tried to get internet but was turned down because of no RUT. Do I just need a friend's RUT or does he have to come with me?