Moving to Chile in a few months, and I have a few Q's

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Ripsigg

Re: Moving to Chile in a few months, and I have a few Q's

Post by Ripsigg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 am

My wife and I have got 3 kids and we have bounced around quite a bit. We have always moved with what we could carry ourselves on the plane. When we went to China, for example, we went with two Jansport Carson external frame packs, two mid-sized duffle bags and a small carryon backpack for each of us. We traveled with way too much stuff. On our next journey, we did it with just the two external framepacks and a carryon each.

--Clothes you can buy anywhere. If you have size issues then you can have them custom made.

--Shoes are a little hard to come by if you've got big feet, but you can eventually find them.

--Electronics? Laptops, tablets and phones are easy to carry with you. Bigger stuff you probably don't need, even if they could work with the power differences.

--Photos? Scan them in and you can reprint them out when you arrive.

--Toys for kids are available everywhere in the world.

--Books? I love my Kindle.

If you put your stuff in storage, you can go back at any time and do a resupply trip. You can also use the trip to buy stuff that you can't get in Chile easily.

My family's mantra is that being a prisoner to your stuff is a horrible way to live.

pinkboy

Post by pinkboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 am

jamie_m wrote:if i had my time over again i wouldn't bring much at all. I would definitely bring my pillows from australia though. i am currently on my 26th pillow. i can't find one i like. i am now buying them secretly since my esposa went crook at me. when i see one i haven't tried i tell her i am going to the teletrak for an hour or so then sneak them into the house when she's not looking. how sad is that !
Its not the pillow mate, your neck is out!

pinkboy

jcarloschile

Post by jcarloschile » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Me and my wife just throw and give away a lot of things for friends, at sometime we was at Santiago airport with 4 packs, two of them more than 23 kilos and a bad mood in Lans attendants about baggage excess....

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:51 pm

pinkboy wrote:
jamie_m wrote:if i had my time over again i wouldn't bring much at all. I would definitely bring my pillows from australia though. i am currently on my 26th pillow. i can't find one i like. i am now buying them secretly since my esposa went crook at me. when i see one i haven't tried i tell her i am going to the teletrak for an hour or so then sneak them into the house when she's not looking. how sad is that !
Its not the pillow mate, your neck is out!

pinkboy

it's not just my neck, i also have a sciatic nerve problem that i just can't shake. any suggestions?

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Brendan and Ana wrote:Hi. My wife and I are in the same boat. When you are a family it is harder to move with just suitcases. We may try though. Our understanding is that the little things can be shipped or put in the lug gage and the big things we can buy new. We have quotes from 8-12 usd for a 20 ft container. Appliances will be about the same. I will send you a private massage to compare notes. Brendan and Ana.
That's pretty expensive. What does that all include (shipping plus any aduana/customs work maybe)? But I guess that an added cost factor might be that it might be along way to a port from your location of Chicago.

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 am

Huh, container shipping! We just arranged all our stuff in 3 big luggage bags. Some other clothing and items were given to charity, some were gifted to random guys on the internet or sold for 25% of its price.

Free your belongings, people! :D

john

Post by john » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 am

gyroid wrote:
Free your belongings, people! :D
Ditto! :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

jcisweird

Post by jcisweird » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks everyone! We've decided to sell all of our cars, and purchase new ones there. I'm gonna be sad to let go of my E350, though. :( but i'm excited for this new journey. I will be moving to Santiago from L.A., and from what i've read, it's a pretty metropolitan area, so I feel like I'm gonna be just fine. Luckily, I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, so there's that. We're trying to take our couches, and our televisions. Do any of you guys know a good shipping company? Also, what's the voltage output in Chile? I want to buy an adapter before we leave. Thanks!

jcisweird

Post by jcisweird » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Oh, btw, how much do smartphones cost over there and what carriers should we use in Chile? We're wondering if we could take our cellphones from here and used them there. We currently have a GSM iPhone 6, and are curious if we could take it and just use it there. Thanks once again, everyone!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Someone did not fully read the previous thread they received answers on or did much other research on their own. Other question have all been answered more than once. I know it is a little work but it is the beginning of your self-help discovery on how to deal with Chile. And what, no exploratory trip?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Ready to be departing to Santiago and not knowing what a voltage is? Wanting to ship a couch and T.V. and wanting to know a shipping company? iphone 6 questions...Must be trolling....E350 M-Benz possesion? Hmmm ?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jcisweird

Post by jcisweird » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm being serious. If you need photo proof, I can you show. haha, I really am curious. I know that the voltage is around 220, but I'd rather get an answer from someone w/ experience. I'm moving in May of next year. As for shipping companies, I have found a few companies online, but I want to get an answers from someone who has done it, and had a good experience with said company. I understand you could be doubtful, but I'm being 100% serious. If I could get answer, that would be awesome. Thanks.