Moving to Chile in a few months, and I have a few Q's

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
jcisweird

Moving to Chile in a few months, and I have a few Q's

Post by jcisweird » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Hello, everyone. I will be making the move to Chile in 2015, and I have some questions to ask.

1. My family and I want to take our belonging from our current home when we make the move. What is the best way to export items from the U.S. into Chile? What's a good company? Will we run into some trouble with legal authorities?

2. Also, we would like to take our current vehicle. I've read that it is very difficult to take a vehicle that has been used, but does that even apply to a recent car we've purchased? (the car's not even a year old).

3. If we cannot take the "used" car, are we legally allowed by Chile to purchase a new car here in the US, and then ship it out right after?

Thank you for everything, and have a great day!

dmwbmw2

Re: Moving to Chile in a few months, and I have a few Q's

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm

The used car is not possible, the new one, if possible, not worth the effort and shipping charges. Just buy one here.

My experience, from 3 moves to Chile, the first two lasting 2 and 1 year respectively and the third going on 17 years,
Is to take the minimum possible, just clothes and a few important personal items. Buy everything else here.

Savings in shipping costs will pay quite a bit of UStore IT warehouse charges. Later, if you really aren't going back, you can sell, give away, throw away and rescue a few pieces.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:34 pm

1. Think carefully if this is really a good idea. We did ship because we had a large amount of assorted personal possessions of all sorts including the kids' toys, however it is more stressful to do the shipping idea. I don't know of any major legal roadblock if you do it the right way. We did ship, and I did a thread on shippinng personal possessions. if you search you might dig it up.It is from the UK though. If you are determined to do it then go for it.

2./3. Given the stress, cost, bueracracy etc, it is usually going to make sense to buy here. Note that current exchange rate may make prices attractive here anyway, as cars may have been purchased and shipped in before on a previous exchange rate. General advice on the forum from others has usually been not to ship cars.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:28 am

Shipping a new car, may void its warranty and parts may not be available for it in Chile.......... what they said buy local.....
It's all about the wine.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:57 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:Savings in shipping costs will pay quite a bit of UStore IT warehouse charges. Later, if you really aren't going back, you can sell, give away, throw away and rescue a few pieces.
This turned out to be my biggest headache (as I "stayed" in Chile). I abandoned my storage container to the sharks after extracting the most important and sensitive stuff over a number of years on "trips" to my previous homeland. Would have been better to just have sold/given away from the beginning. But I had no idea I would be staying and no way would it have been worth shipping vs. buying in Chile even if lesser quality. YMMV.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Ditto what everyone else is saying. Expat furniture and goods are fickle things and pass from owner to owner quite easily and readily. There are always "garage sales" to find new stuff or get rid of old stuff.
Store your important stuff, sell the rest, buy new wherever you go, sell that when you leave. Give away what you can't sell.
After all it's just stuff.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

if i had my time over again i wouldn't bring much at all. I would definitely bring my pillows from australia though. i am currently on my 26th pillow. i can't find one i like. i am now buying them secretly since my esposa went crook at me. when i see one i haven't tried i tell her i am going to the teletrak for an hour or so then sneak them into the house when she's not looking. how sad is that !

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:21 pm

When you figure a third of your life may be in bed, a nice bed and pillow are essential, but geeez, 26 attempts at pillow perfection?

But back to bringing in your belongings, we also agree with the above comments.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

tonyakaserg

Post by tonyakaserg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 pm

As others have said, save yourself the heartache and buy new here. keep the important stuff and sell/give away the rest.
jamie_m wrote:if i had my time over again i wouldn't bring much at all. I would definitely bring my pillows from australia though. i am currently on my 26th pillow. i can't find one i like. i am now buying them secretly since my esposa went crook at me. when i see one i haven't tried i tell her i am going to the teletrak for an hour or so then sneak them into the house when she's not looking. how sad is that !
Can't you just get a pillow sent from Australia?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm

We brought everything except anything which needed plugging in. It was a very bad time for selling stuff when we left and no one was buying much, so we brought more than we wanted. I think I would have brought a lot less if that had been possible.

janway

Post by janway » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:26 pm

I moved to Uruguay and having spent a bit of time there knew it would be hard to find many things i wanted such as my spinning wheel, drum wool carder, crockpot, rotary clothesline etc. etc. If you don't need a lot of specialized stuff or are young, you can probably do with very little. i moved to Canada from England with just a couple of suitcases but needed a 20 foot container to move down here.

Brendan and Ana

Post by Brendan and Ana » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi. My wife and I are in the same boat. When you are a family it is harder to move with just suitcases. We may try though. Our understanding is that the little things can be shipped or put in the lug gage and the big things we can buy new. We have quotes from 8-12 usd for a 20 ft container. Appliances will be about the same. I will send you a private massage to compare notes. Brendan and Ana.