Applying for Marriage-Based Visa

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Britkid

Applying for Marriage-Based Visa

Post by Britkid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Summary
This is my personal experience of applying for temp 1-year residence visa (in Santiago), as a Brit with a Chilean wife. Things do not appear to have changed much. A post in another article by Met0069 on Jan 26th, 2011 was very similar to my experience. It took me over 3 months but could perhaps be done in 2 (mostly waiting after initial application). It was a mostly smooth process. I had to get our marriage certificate legalised in the consulate of the country I married in and post this with other standard stuff and an application form. I got the visa in Chile rather than the UK because it’s much cheaper to do so (for it’s a marriage-based visa). After applying and being approved I then had to go to an office with my passport and get the visa stamped in. (You never have to send or leave your actual passport anywhere.) After getting the visa and registering with the police I could then get my ID number.
Note, in the whole process, I always spoke to people in Spanish, don’t expect much English level.

Legalising Marriage Certificate
I had to have our wedding certificate legalized at the Chilean consulate in Spain, as we married in Spain. We had to go to Spain personally. Of course, if I had known earlier I would have done it while living in Spain.

Prices
Getting the visa at the Chilean Embassy in London I was quoted something like £800-£1000. The prices are here http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/201 ... -Visas.pdf but if your spouse is Chilean look past the tabulated values and note (point 5, penultimate page) the overriding part about it being $15 equivalent for Chilean spouse/parent. I paid CLP 8,271. The only catch is that you need to enter Chile on a tourist visa so you need to be not working or prepared to bend the rules a little (shouldn’t be an issue, unless you are working for a company that wants everything squeaky clean and requests your visa in advance). The low price is not available in advance in the UK.

Calling Extranjeria (the department that deals with the visa applications).
Number is 6004863000 open 9-4 Mon-Fri. Sometimes you get straight through to a person immediately. If you call and a message says “nuestros executivos se encuentran ocupada” sometimes someone comes on the line after only about 5 minutes. I found them quite helpful.

Paperwork Needed for Visa
Whatever you send, they will not return (I asked in person, by phone, and by letter and never got anywhere). I sent by certified letter as requested:
1. Original legalized marriage certificate.
2. Passport page photocopy.
3. Photocopy of last tourist card (not actually a physical card but a piece of paper you get arriving in Chile).
4. 3 recent photographs (note the small size requested of 3x2cm is different to some other countries, so better to get these done in Chile, further the photos should show on them your name in passport number, and some places in Chile will be used to this (photo shops) so again do this in Chile).
5. My Chileans wife’s original birth certificate. This apparently has to be requested recently before use from the Registro Civil and be recently dated, not an old one.
6. Proof of ability to support yourself economically. I sent photocopies of credit cards (with numbers deleted), banks statements, and receipts of things bought in Chile.
I think that was all (or most) of what I sent, check for yourself what you have to send on “Requisitos de Visa Temporario por Primera Vez Vinculo Con Chileno” http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/filesapp/TE1%20ISO.pdf and the supplementary TE10 form http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/filesapp/ ... O_2008.pdf which goes into more detail about exactly what it means by proof of “Sustento Economic” (supporting yourself financially). Of course, if you come from a different country, or are not applying based on marriage, or have something out of the ordinary, it may be different.

Filling in the Form
In addition to the paperwork, I had to fill in the form “Solicitud de Residencia Temporario Por Correo”. http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/filesapp/ ... O_2008.pdf You may notice it says “2008” in the link but I think this is the one I used and is still useable – presumably it just hasn’t been changed in recent years. Read all the related instructions.

Timelines of Application
Arrived in Chile Jan 7th. Posted visa application Feb 24th. I made a follow up call on April 3rd. They did not have my application entered in the system yet so had no record of it. (Such slow process I believe is normal for Santiago, but I think I read other regions are much faster.) My tourist card was about to expire. I nearly did a Mendoza run to get another tourist card incase my application was lost in the post, but in the end I didn’t.
They told me to call back ~April 14th, suggesting they expect to have applications entered into the system within around 6-7 weeks of you posting. I actually didn’t get around to calling again until May 19th and they said it had been approved “resuelto..aprobada” on the 13th May.

Checking Your Application Status Online and Next Steps
They then explained I could check the “consultas” part of the extranjeria website. http://consultas.extranjeria.gob.cl I had to input my name, data of birth, country and passport number. Here I did have some difficulty – perhaps every single thing has to precisely match for it work. After multiple efforts I got through by adding my second name into the name field, in addition to my first name, and by selecting “Inglaterra” rather than the other option of “Reino Unido”. I got through to the message confirming approval. I was able to download a letter and further instructions on next steps – how to get the visa stamp and how to pay first the 8271 CLP (can be any bank). (A postal letter with the same info on next steps eventually arrived to my address in June about a month after the decision with the same info.)

Getting Visa Stamped in Passport
I had to go to the street San Antonio 580 Piso 3 (third floor), in the very centre of Santiago in that shopping area between the main Bernard O Higgins/Alameda and Plaza de Armas. I had to take both the original and photocopy of our marriage certificate from the Registro Civil. As it said Registro Civil, we thought it meant Chilean so my wife got a marriage certificate printed out locally unlike the original application where I sent the original Spanish one. That was all I had to take, apart from of course the proof of payment (stamped when I previously paid the fee at the bank) and my passport to have my visa stamped in.

As the letter suggested I booked an appointment (a new feature) http://reservahora.extranjeria.gob.cl/ to get my stamp. Entering the building I went up the stairs and turned to my right, where there was a short queue, they gave me a queue slip. I then had to go across to the room on the other side of the stairwell and wait for my number to be called. It appears there were 2 separate queues: for people with appointments and those without – so the appointment just gets you in a separate, presumably shorter queue rather than being seen precisely at the hour. I was seen about 20 minutes later than my appointment time. I then had to wait another 30-60 min for them to actually return the passport to me with the visa in. I just sat down until someone appeared with a bunch of passports and started calling out names. My appointment was 11am, was out of there by 12.15 with the visa.

Police Card
They then gave me a piece of paper which explained I had 30 days to go and register with the police and then get my ID Number (=cedula=RUT=RUN all means the same thing). These two things must be done in that order since the card you get at the police is required to get the ID number.
To get from the visa office at San Antonio to the police office I walked back to the main Bernand O Higgins/Alameda, crossed over and headed straight ahead going down the left side of a church painted red, headed down a number of blocks (about 3-8) and turned right when I got to the street - Calle Eleuterio Ramirez. It’s no 852.
However when I first went their systems were down. I then didn’t go back for over a week. I then went abroad for 2 weeks without having got my police card or ID number. This caused some concern at immigration, delaying me for 10 minutes as they asked me for the ID number and I had to explain I didn’t have one yet, once I explained I was within the 30 day limit and filled in a form, and after a supervisor was called, I went through. Similar thing on the way back.
When I got back I went to the police centre on 27th June. I arrived at about 11.50 and got my queue slip. Queue was over 3 hours – I was eventually seen about 3pm (beyond the place’s 8.30-2 opening hours). Of course, by 2 no new people were coming in.
It was very fast once seen, 5 minutes including taking a photo. Of course I had my passport with visa in with me. I got my white piece of card. The instructions from the visa place call this “Tarjeta de Registro” on the card itself it says “Certificado de Registro de Visa”. I think I was asked to pay something small e.g. 1,000 or 5,000 CLP.

ID Number
(Not 100% on this but I believe it is possible to get a temporary ID number before your visa has been approved but you need the visa and police card to get a permanent one.)
The next step is Huerfanos #1570 (open 9-2) to get the ID number. However I didn’t go there exactly – when I got the visa they explained for this part I could use my local Registro Civil in Talagante which I did to avoid another trip to Santiago and because I thought it would be quieter, which it was, I got in and out with no appointment in half an hour. I went there on June 30th which was technically 1-day over my 30-day limit but they didn’t notice, or didn’t mind. Again, there was a photo taken, some fingerprints (the machine had trouble recognising my prints so she pushed my fingers down so hard on to the machine it started to physically hurt). Again, I had to pay something that I wasn’t previously told about, but again it was small, something like 1,000 or 5,000. I didn’t get the card straight away, and I have to go back again a couple of weeks later to collect it.

SUPagogo

Re: Applying for Marriage-Based Visa

Post by SUPagogo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm

That process was pretty much the same for me too in 2012. The only difference was that I used our marriage to file for Permanent Residence. Married in Chile. Wife's birth certificate and marriage certificate were very easy and cheap to print off the Registro Civil website. I was working in Chile at the time and just had to include like 6 months of paystubs from my Chilean employer on top of what OP stated.

Filed in late Nov 2012 and picked up my visa in early May 2013. Left Chile in Sept 2013... looks like I'm going to go through this whole dance again starting with the TRV the next time we decide to live in Chile again. Or it might be a new dance by then :mrgreen:

Far and away, this was much easier and cheaper than getting a work visa in Mexico whose immigration policy happens to be closely modeled after its neighbor to the North...
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:26 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
looks like I'm going to go through this whole dance again starting with the TRV the next time we decide to live in Chile again. Or it might be a new dance by then :mrgreen:
Hoping that marvel Auto manufacture will relocate you back to Chile again!
Are you in Merrysville or in Mexico now days?

Saludos!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:12 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:12 pm

FWIW,

I did Temporary and PD marriage visas with the following info: ATM receipts, copy of bank statements corresponding to the ATM receipts, copy of the front of the ATM cards used. Worked like a charm each time. Even obtained the work permit for the temporary app which I really did not need. Remember for US passport holder's, there are no fees except for the paperwork stuff at PDI and Registro Civil.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard