Buying a Car (A Personal Experience)

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
HybridAmbassador

Re: Buying a Car (A Personal Experience)

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

JHyre wrote:It was excellent. More would be good.

John Hyre

ha,ha,haaa a snippet bit for you below...
John Hyre-san now you have also an eloquent competitor that can write in the tone of the King's English, mostly notable from your _escritura-style_! !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:09 pm

I would buy Hyundai, Nissan, Kia, Toyota or Suzuki.
@BritKid-san,

You have completely missed in mentioning the very marque so loved by your compatriots there in the GB !

Where is the famous brand mentioned in your post of the "Honda" marque, and it even has a factory in Swindon, England ?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 pm

ha :D Well you have to look harder to find one our here and not sure whether that means parts are less available, other than that, no reason not to get one.

Bought my Honda from somewhere near Swindon. For sure, there are a lot of them and around them.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

bow26

Post by bow26 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:49 am

Yeah these types of posts are very useful! Would be particularly useful to hear you experience of renting a place.

zannder

Post by zannder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Great post Britkid. Just the information I was looking for. Thanks.

T-T-T

Post by T-T-T » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Just a terrific article ... many thanks!

We would be very interested in your thoughts on:
- renting a house
- sending personal possessions to Chile by shipping container

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 pm

My latest blog has more on the topic of shipping to Chile

http://www.idledreamer.com/?p=306

Easy excuse to shamelessly plug my blog again
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 am

This was excellent and answered the exact questions I had and very similar experience myself. Good to know about fallabella, my wife has a license Chilean so I always wondered what would happen if I was the 2nd named driver in Chile with a UK license as it doesn't work the same as UK insurance.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 pm

You may remember we discussed here and on the http://allchile.net/chileforum/viewtopi ... 11243.html thread getting the number plate (patente) checked out at the Registro Civil. I found out from my wife's brother than works in the car/sales industry that there is a better, more thorough and more professional check available http://www.autofact.cl. For a small increase of price (4990 vs just under 2000 for Registro Civil check) you get way better info including by the looks of it all or some of the same info you would get anyway with the Registro Civil check.

It covers fines and infracciones, autopista debts, how many others, all the names of all the owners, how long they owned it for, their RUTs. I can also see the entire revision tecnica history including failures and why it failed, and what km was recorded each time.

If the person that edits the wiki is reading this, it might be worth adding this to the "risks" section of the car article. I have to got to recommend this website and getting this report for any used car purchase.

The only problem is that the payment failed over and over again (stupid web pay thing which is sh1t) both with Banco De Estado cuenta RUT or foreign cards, meaning I had to call up someone else and get them to do it and I send them a transfer.

Still worth it. We were going to buy a car today until we got this check and found out that the car has this in its history:
"Vehículo rematado debido a pérdida total grave.
(Sin posibilidad de arreglo)"
quite curious - seems like it was written off (as we say in the UK at least) by the insurance company, perhaps indicating that the cost of repairing the vehicle was higher than the cost of replacing it. And yet, here it is being sold again (???).
Rematado, my wife explains to me, meaning it was auctioned off - presumably in its smashed up state.
Yikes. I also found out a record of 30,000 debt at one of the toll roads (Autopista Central). This can also be looked up for free. They also have the debts arranged by name. So, I am not sure whether that debt would matter or not to a new buyer.
Another curious thing: it's mileage at its 2014 revision tecnica was lower than 2013. This may be a genuine typo because it went from 138 in 2013 to 123 in 2014 to 167 in 2015 so maybe the 2014 one was just inputted wrong. Still, doesn't fill you with confidence.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm

For anyone that's looking now:

I knew someone else who worked selling cars last year and struggled. I think car sales (both used and new) have been hit a little by a soft Chile economy and it became a buyer's market last year, and it still is. The car lots are pretty jammed full and everyone says the precio is conversable, often before you even ask. I suggested 6.3 for the car today that was on sale at 6.6 and it was accepted, I think I would look to typically gain a 5% discount on used cars vs. sticker price at this point.

Also, for anyone that wants to sell your car: Some of these car yards when I was driving around people were just asking me if I was selling. I bet if you just drove your car around a few of the major larger car yards and collected offers you could have it sold in a matter of hours without even needing to advertise it. I'll let you all know if I actually try this. Plan is first buy new car, then sell old.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:57 pm

OK, going to Registro Civil, I was told it was better than notary, as more secure and get documents faster.

They told me they charge a fee of 21,300 and another of 1.5% of vehicle value. I asked the Registro Civil who normally pays this and they said depends on the agreement between buyer and seller.

I mentioning the costs to the seller of the vehicle on the phone just now and he mentioned that the buyer (me) would normally pay these charges, do you think that is fair? What have others found in such cases?