Buying a Car (A Personal Experience)

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying a Car (A Personal Experience)

Post by admin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 am

Andres wrote:
bert.douglas wrote:A new corporation was born, with government financing, and took over the assets, but shed all liabilities. No lawsuits over bad ignition switches. They are immune. That was a different corporation.
But, with the same crap designs and crap processes.
The whole "buy american crap" is a marketing and political gimmick to convince people to pay a higher price for lower quality garbage. Very little the U.S. produces in manufacturing has been any good for the last 20 + years. I buy a few maglights, the pieces of crap falls apart (it is frigen flashlight, how do you screw that up). I buy rigid shop vac, the motors burn out in less than a year of light use. The last good american car I drove was 1980's series dodge charger, with a Mitsubishi engine in it. The american made door handles use to snap off in my hand. The american made break lines leaked all over the place. The problems went on and on, but that mitsubishi engine was north of 200,000 miles when I sold it (not sure, the american made odometer broke at 100,000 miles).

I actively avoid buying anything American made, because they long ago worked out that it was cheaper to produce garbage and market it as "made in America" than to produce something worthy of the historic label. Hell, they will even give you a lifetime warranty, knowing most people will not use it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:20 am

admina wrote:
Hell, they will even give you a lifetime warranty, knowing most people will not use it.
That is easy:

But it turns out there's no single legal definition of lifetime warranty.

http://abc7.com/archive/7274844/

And don't assume that lifetime necessarily means your lifetime, it may simply mean the expected lifetime of the product,"

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/lifetime-warranty- ... e-1.497790

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:38 pm

A new corporation was born, with government financing, and took over the assets, but shed all liabilities. No lawsuits over bad ignition switches. They are immune. That was a different corporation.[/quote]
But, with the same crap designs and crap processes.[/quote]

The whole "buy american crap" is a marketing and political gimmick to convince people to pay a higher price for lower quality garbage. Very little the U.S. produces in manufacturing has been any good for the last 20 + years. I buy a few maglights, the pieces of crap falls apart (it is frigen flashlight, how do you screw that up). I buy rigid shop vac, the motors burn out in less than a year of light use. The last good american car I drove was 1980's series dodge charger, with a Mitsubishi engine in it. The american made door handles use to snap off in my hand. The american made break lines leaked all over the place. The problems went on and on, but that mitsubishi engine was north of 200,000 miles when I sold it (not sure, the american made odometer broke at 100,000 miles).

I actively avoid buying anything American made, because they long ago worked out that it was cheaper to produce garbage and market it as "made in America" than to produce something worthy of the historic label. Hell, they will even give you a lifetime warranty, knowing most people will not use it.
1980's series dodge charger, with a Mitsubishi engine in it.
Mitsubishi engines are widely used in Chinese indigenous vehicles. The firms that uses Mitsu-built engines, shamelessly touts that their car are very reliable and durable, cause in the heart, they have the Mitsu motors!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 pm

I recall reading an article in the last two years, that indicated many US defence products could not be manufactured without Chinese-made components, some of them electronic. How the US (with its usual hubris) can think it can sustain a war with China when its supply chain for defence components depends upon China is beyond me.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Andres wrote:I recall reading an article in the last two years, that indicated many US defence products could not be manufactured without Chinese-made components, some of them electronic. How the US (with its usual hubris) can think it can sustain a war with China when its supply chain for defence components depends upon China is beyond me.
US defence products could not be manufactured without Chinese-made components, some of them electronic.
Andres-san, No problems there. All those electro compos bound for US defense, mostly made by _in china- Japanese companies. Their bases are in Japan so US not to worry.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.