Bringing my cat to Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
burgler099

Bringing my cat to Chile

Post by burgler099 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 am

I'm going to be in Chile pretty soon and bringing my cat along. i've researched all of the steps and know what to do.

However, I'm just really nervous about the flight. Has anyone brought their cat on LAN airlines? How are they with animals? When I make my layover in Peru, he won't go through any security or be taken out of his kennel will he?

Does anyone have any stories they can share about bringing their pets to Chile on LAN?

hlf2888

Re: Bringing my cat to Chile

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 am

Chile is much more a dog country than a cat country. Know that. My 2 dogs are great friends with my cat but in this country I think that might be an exception. Most cats you see on the streets look terrified as they dash from gated yard to gated yard, knowing they could be prey for street dogs. And you do not see many cats on the streets. Of course if your cat will be leading a sheltered life in an apartment that would be different.

Donnybrook

Re: Bringing my cat to Chile

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 am

I have a friend with two cats who lives in a flat here. The cats have always lived inside. They have gone from here to Argentina for a couple of years and then back here. Another friend with 2 dogs, a cat and a tortoise (they always lived in a house with garden) which she takes from job to job: from here to Spain, then Perú, this year they will go to Argentina. All these animals went LAN and no problems reported.