Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
fraggle092

Re: Internet Connection

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 pm

I recently set up a private VPN with our CCTV system, which used about 8Mbit/s. Over 10 days continuous streaming it transferred 430-odd TeraBytes of data, which to me seems like heavy consumption, it was off the scale on the graph of our monthly bill which tops out at 300TB. However afaik there is no penalty for this type of usage...yet, at least.

I find that Windows file transfers top out at around 360 Mbit/s on my wired Gigabyte LAN with a cheapie NAS drive, so at least in my case, faster download speeds would a waste of time. Most web services are bandwidth-limited in one way or another as well.

And as for wifi connection speeds... :lol:
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:18 pm

yea i typicaly have a lot of other system bottle necks. net limitations are pretty far down the problem list. most my data is stateles, or can be interrupted and resumed. very few live anything (e.g. video games).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Today I visited VTR, and changed from the old 200/10 Meg plan to 150/10. The difference was apparently around $17.000 less per month on a Business plan with TV Cable included. I told them I wanted the cheapest service available. Since VTR have a habit of sneaking other charges in on the bill, I wont know if I got what I wanted until the next bill arrives, or maybe even the one after that...they did make the speed change immediately.

Apparently the 600 Meg plan is popular with Gamers, the "boy racers" of the computer world, but this is fast enough for me.
Speedtest by Ookla.jpg

Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 pm

I believe VTR has updated my internet speed once again. As far as I recall, my landlord has updated it to 100 MB two years ago, and they delivered 200 MB while charging for 100. We went back and forth with them, but they were 100% sure they were right, so it stayed that way. Now it's going up to 600. I'll check with him just in case to see if there have been any pricing changes, but I don't really mind paying the extra if service stays as good as it has been.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Actually, I've just checked my bill. It's listed as 30 MB, with a free upgrade to 400 MB, with 600 MB being delivered, and it's billed as 100 MB. So yeah, someone on VTR screwed up royally when setting up my plan, but they haven't heard us when we first complained that we were being underbilled two years ago, and I'm not going to give them another call.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

otravers

Post by otravers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm

2020 broadband update TLDR: keep an eye on rollouts in your area, the market is shaking up as VTR is crashing down.

On the negative side, VTR really shat the bed for the past year with massive unreliability. I've been a customer of them for 13 years and am now eager to get rid of them. On the positive side, competition is heating up on the fiber optics side, with rollouts from Entel, Movistar, Claro, WOM, GTD, Mundo Pacifico... your mileage may vary depending on where you live, but VTR's monopoly in many areas is going to be challenged and people are fed up with them.

I got Entel's 940/400 plan installed two months ago, as soon as it was available in my area. It's been working as advertised, though these fuckers set it up with CGNAT by default (i.e. no public IP address) and refuse to set consumer plans in bridge mode (only corporate plans). The CGNAT thing can be handled by calling their support which will hand it over to the actual tech support, it takes about a day to get done. The bridge thing can be hacked around, it was a pain to figure it out but with help in another forum I finally figured it out. Idiots who don't understand that people seeking a 1Gbps plan are likely to have needs way beyond what their Fischer Price router can handle. I have 5 routers over 4 floors, 50+ IP devices, and just want to manage my own local network myself, thank you very much.

I'm currently running dual WAN with Entel and VTR (load balancing + failover). I've been consuming about 1TB up + 1TB down per day for the past couple of weeks, I could push it further but storage has been a bottleneck. I got myself a new Synology NAS and four 12TB hard drives during this week's Prime deals which will take care of this. So glad to have a stable connection and not push up data to the cloud through VTR's tiny 16Mbps straw. Anyway, I'm saying this to establish that I've been pushing it way beyond doing the usual speedtest or fast.com tests.

Earlier today I just saw guys rolling out Movistar fiber in my street, they told me they'll be done in about 10 days and the service should be available commercially in about 6 weeks once they're done with repeaters and other necessary pre-provisioning. Claro also rolled out fiber in our street a few months ago, but their offering is too weak for me. I'm told Movistar gives bridge access without any fuss, so once I contract them I'm going to have 2x 1Gbps down / 400Mbps up which will make me a happy camper for the foreseeable future.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 am

The government regulators pushed hard on the ISPs in the country to deploy more and bigger connections durring the pandemic as so many are working from home, or doing online classes, etc.

we are finally geting fiber at our house outside of town. this roll of fiber was hung up last week in front of our house. we are really last km. more like last 2 km.
20201015_193252.jpg

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 am

that is telsur. they are charging 150,000 for the installation.

which seems like a lot, but considering they hung over 2 km of fiber and still have to trench my yard to run conduit to my house, not a bad price.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 am

otravers wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm
I'm told Movistar gives bridge access without any fuss, so once I contract them I'm going to have 2x 1Gbps down / 400Mbps up which will make me a happy camper for the foreseeable future.
Movistar unilaterally migrated us to FO from ADSL last year, going from an 8/1 Mbps connection to 500/250 Mbps for much the same price. The POT line associated with the old service became a virtual one through the FO router, which probably precludes a Bridge connection as they have to reserve ports for the voice service.
So a POT connection, still considered as the ultimate in reliability for emergency use has been quietly replaced by a VOIP line that goes down when the power goes off.

As for speed, don't upload much, and I have yet to find a site faster than around 20 Mbps download so it's all academic afaic. Guess its Video and online Gaming that are the main beneficiaries of these faster speeds.

When I terminated our VTR service (which never gave any problems), they hummed and hawed with the paperwork, offering a small price reduction and then a meeting with an account manager to persuade me into keeping the service. They must have been hurting even then.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:54 am

yea past a certain speed, there is a limit to what can be done with it right now. for me it is more the unlimited data, than the speed.

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 am
Movistar unilaterally migrated us to FO from ADSL last year, going from an 8/1 Mbps connection to 500/250 Mbps for much the same price. The POT line associated with the old service became a virtual one through the FO router, which probably precludes a Bridge connection as they have to reserve ports for the voice service.
You are correct, in my case I use my own VOIP services, not the ISP's. I've read Movistar's modems have a "passthrough" option that lets you avoid pesky double NAT problems without interfering with their VOIP and IPTV service.

fraggle092 wrote:
So a POT connection, still considered as the ultimate in reliability for emergency use has been quietly replaced by a VOIP line that goes down when the power goes off.
Correct again. I have my modems and main router behind a UPS.

fraggle092 wrote:
As for speed, don't upload much, and I have yet to find a site faster than around 20 Mbps download so it's all academic afaic. Guess its Video and online Gaming that are the main beneficiaries of these faster speeds.
Usually it takes some form of distributed system to get good download speeds. I can max out 1Gbps with a couple well-seeded torrents, and I can upload to Google Drive at 200-300Mpbs, though they'll limit you to 750GB per day so you can't sustain that 24/7.
fraggle092 wrote:
When I terminated our VTR service (which never gave any problems), they hummed and hawed with the paperwork, offering a small price reduction and then a meeting with an account manager to persuade me into keeping the service. They must have been hurting even then.
VTR's CEO once told the press that consumers are acting like spoiled brats. Their reaction for the past year (riots then pandemic) has been too little too late, and completely tone deaf to boot. It's never their fault, somehow their fiber gets cut every day in various locations, people are unfair, they're working very hard blah blah blah... I hope they lose so many customers that this shithead gets canned by shareholders, or they can go bankrupt for all I care.

With DOCSIS 3.1, coaxial cable have been able to deliver up to 10 Gbit/s downstream and 1 Gbit/s, it's their decision to deliver a measly 16Mbps upstream in order to milk their underpowered backbone.