Dilemma!!

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Rob

Dilemma!!

Post by Rob » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 am

Hi to all,

We are having a dilemma. Our plan is to move to Chile in November this year. But now we have the Covid-19 pandemic. We've been preparing for this some years now.

But now with Covid-19 all gets difficult. First: our house in the Netherlands is on the market, if we sell it we have enough money to move and build a house on our property. But if we aren't allowed in to Chile we don't have a house in the Netherlands and buying the same kind of house is impossible with the money we get from selling. If getting in to Chile is not a problem, then I need to find a job, but are there jobs in 2021 in and around Panguipulli? Now I'm an electrician in a factory, what I have to do in Chile doesn't matter for my. Here in the Netherlands, because of Covid-19, lots of people lose their jobs like all over the world. That's the case in Chile too is what I hear from my Chilean family in law. But then again they just know about Santiago.

So is it wise to sell our house and move to Chile? Or better stay in the Netherlands and wait for better times?

Regards,
Rob van den Wijngaart

Donnybrook

Re: Dilemma!!

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am

I would not change country until you see what the world looks like in 2021. Chile is going to take longer to come out of this than the Netherlands and with a far fewer resources. I would take your house off the market and wait.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:37 am

Rob wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 am
Hi to all,

We are having a dilemma. Our plan is to move to Chile in November this year. But now we have the Covid-19 pandemic. We've been preparing for this some years now.

But now with Covid-19 all gets difficult. First: our house in the Netherlands is on the market, if we sell it we have enough money to move and build a house on our property. But if we aren't allowed in to Chile we don't have a house in the Netherlands and buying the same kind of house is impossible with the money we get from selling. If getting in to Chile is not a problem, then I need to find a job, but are there jobs in 2021 in and around Panguipulli? Now I'm an electrician in a factory, what I have to do in Chile doesn't matter for my. Here in the Netherlands, because of Covid-19, lots of people lose their jobs like all over the world. That's the case in Chile too is what I hear from my Chilean family in law. But then again they just know about Santiago.

So is it wise to sell our house and move to Chile? Or better stay in the Netherlands and wait for better times?

Regards,
Rob van den Wijngaart
Do you currently have temporary or permanent residency?

assuming you do not....

given what is going on now, pretty sure there the boarders are still going to be closed in November.

as for work, yea I would not bank on finding any sort of steady work as an electrician in such a rural area, with or without a pandemic. add in the unemployment, and I would say pretty slim to none-existant chance of finding work there without getting real creative, and even then do not expect to make a lot of money doing it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am

Don't know Panguipulli or even the south of Chile that well, but can offer a few general comments about the country.

Factor in that salaries in Chile are a lot lower. Maybe 20%-50% what you could earn in Netherlands at a very rough guess with the lower end of 20% being for very low end, minmum wage stuff and maybe 50% for people with qualifications and degrees and so on. Are you planning on drastically reducing your quality of living, or is your partner able to be the main earner in Chile? Or are you coming in close to retirement with big savings? No need to answer that, just something to think about privately.

2020, internationally, is probably a year to hang on to your job rather than quit and then search for a new one. I have heard anecdotally that the job market is poor in Chile right now, in fact has been since November except certain sectors. Don't have any data though.

Chile is well behind Europe with COVID-19, maybe just getting to the peak now.

There is more difficulty traveling also.

Everything is more difficult in Chile right now because businesses are over stretched. For at least several months, things like buying or building a house are bound to be harder.

There is also the still unresolved question of the social unrest that some people have forgotten about. In October Chile was practically shut down by huge protests against inequality, as well as associated violence, looting etc. And the concerns of the protestors have not yet been resolved. The protests were just starting up again in March when COVID-19 shut them down. This could all happen again. Although I am guessing Panguipulli is a safer bet for peace and stability that the metropolitan region or a big city? Don't really know that area.

November looks a little early but it's hard to say. Of course if November is too early then you would arguably have to wait until about the end of February 2021 before coming. We landed in Chile early January, and it was harder to get things done, especially finding a place to live, because people were on holiday and the market was quiet.

passport

Post by passport » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Also consider that if you want to build a house, all the planning and permitting are best done and ready to go for the good weather when it arrives. If you begin your design and permitting process in the Chilean spring, you can easily miss your opportunity in that building season due to any number of delays, including recruitment of a decent builder once you find one. If the builder has a good reputation, he or she could already be signed up for the season.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks for your information so far, we will take it in to account in our final decision. As for the temporary or permanent residency, my wife has to look in to that.