Alternative to investment visa?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
cortes

Alternative to investment visa?

Post by cortes » Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Hey everyone, Ive been lurking here for a while, and its finally time for me to put together a plan for me to move to Chile

Im 20 years old from USA and I have travelled through the majority of South America and I fell in love with Chile above all other countries. Ultimately I would like to set up my life there

I have about 80000 USD saved up and I was originally looking at residency by investment opportunities. While I would be comfortable investing in a Chilean startup or business, I read here that the investment visa is a complete crap shoot and really isnt a legitimate choice. Through my research Ive read that there are only a few residency paths. Including the Rentista visa (dont have passive income), marriage residency (not charming enough to get this one), and the student visa (ideally would like to avoid college).

Given all this, the only realistic option for me would be to spend some years building passive income or get in on a student visa. As far as the student visa, is it possible to obtain a student visa taking a university course or two, or taking spanish classes?

Any advice or information is appreciated

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Alternative to investment visa?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed May 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Charming is in the eye of the beholder. This from a charmer-challenged individual that got my PD via marriage.

But at 20, I do not know if you have the smarts to smell out a psycopathic or sociopathic chilena.

Keep us informed of your progress or lack of.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Try googling "visa estudiante extranjero chile". The info is all there, and like every type of government tramite, involves a lot more time and effort than you may be prepared to make. Its not a shortcut to staying here indefinitely.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:38 pm
But at 20, I do not know if you have the smarts to smell out a psycopathic or sociopathic chilena.
Regarding marriage, the courts are biased in favour of women's rights anyway and women know this. Its bad enough for Chilean men, but a Resident expat married to a Chilena is at a major legal and moral disadvantage. Chilean jails are full of men locked up for non-payment of court-mandated family support, the pensión alimenticia.

Anyway, Twenty is way too young to be making this sort of long-term decision anyway. Really.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:23 pm

My very first time coming to Chile was with a student visa. Good for experiencing life here, not good if you get low on cash and have a need to make income..... unless you make cash doing something online and it's coming through some account from another country, I guess. Don't ask me about the legality or tax consequences of that.

From what I remember the key part is getting a Chilean educational institute to issue a letter stating that you will be their student/are enrolled to take classes with them. I believe this is the fundamental document you need to apply for the student visa. I don't know much about how to go about getting this, it was done for me by the California State University system years ago since they are the ones with a "convenio" (special agreement) with a university here. I suppose if your Spanish is halfway decent (could write an email) you could try writing the admissions office of a Chilean school, or perhaps an email in English is OK if there are "academies" for teaching Spanish to foreigners registered with the Ministry of Education here that could issue such a letter (I am speculating, as I really don't what is out there). There are programs in Chilean universities here that do not lead to a degree (so you are not in a 2, 4, or 5 year program), for example "diplomados" or even single courses (for example learning to code with Python or something like that), but I have no idea if that's interesting or possible for you.

Also, on a personal note, I was 20 when I first moved out of my parent's house, and I'd like to think I was relatively responsible and had my life together at that point, but there are plenty of people who are still not very independent at that age; additionally, I then, one year later, came to Chile with a student visa for 1 year also with around $8000 USD in savings, and it was barely enough, back in 2008. I suppose if you really have $80k USD then you would be fine (making reasonable assumptions about your lifestyle), but obviously the last thing you want is to be stuck in a foreign land without the means to either get back home or survive where you currently are.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Regarding marriage, the courts are biased in favour of women's rights anyway and women know this. Its bad enough for Chilean men, but a Resident expat married to a Chilena is at a major legal and moral disadvantage. Chilean jails are full of men locked up for non-payment of court-mandated family support, the pensión alimenticia.

Anyway, Twenty is way too young to be making this sort of long-term decision anyway. Really.
That is absolutely false.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm

cortes wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 pm
Hey everyone, Ive been lurking here for a while, and its finally time for me to put together a plan for me to move to Chile

Im 20 years old from USA and I have travelled through the majority of South America and I fell in love with Chile above all other countries. Ultimately I would like to set up my life there

I have about 80000 USD saved up and I was originally looking at residency by investment opportunities. While I would be comfortable investing in a Chilean startup or business, I read here that the investment visa is a complete crap shoot and really isnt a legitimate choice. Through my research Ive read that there are only a few residency paths. Including the Rentista visa (dont have passive income), marriage residency (not charming enough to get this one), and the student visa (ideally would like to avoid college).

Given all this, the only realistic option for me would be to spend some years building passive income or get in on a student visa. As far as the student visa, is it possible to obtain a student visa taking a university course or two, or taking spanish classes?

Any advice or information is appreciated
well, first of all, there is no method of applying for any residency in Chile right now, unless you are physically in the country already.

but, assuming that little problem get's solved at some point, if you have $ 80,000 u.s. in savings, find an investment to park it in that produces a monthly or quarterly payment. a lot of high-yield dividend payers are on super sale right now.

That might be sufficient to get you over the line for qualifying for a "retirement and periodic income" visa. Your periodic income does not need to be all your resources to prove you can support yourself; but, say you have $300 a month in periodic, plus the principle, it will probably get you accepted. You only need to maintain that investment sufficiently long to get you through your permanent residency being granted (1 to 2 years typically).

FYI, age is irrelevant to applying for the "retirement" visa.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu May 28, 2020 2:50 pm

I also came to Chile originally with a student visa, but I applied for mine after entering as a tourist. The required documents include el certificado de matricula and el certificado de alumno regular. The second certificado is proving full time status as a student, which are not provided for diplomados, so you would have to enroll in an actual degree program.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Apologies for sidetracking, but....
admin wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:49 pm
That is absolutely false.
Usual sloppy quote, but assuming it's referring to the jail time. Maybe I should have clarified that- I was referring to Arresto Nocturno. My bad!
Articles like this one sporadically appear in the local news:
Detienen a ocho hombres por no pagar pensión alimenticia _ Diario El Día.jpg
Its just one of a range of sanctions for non-payment.
Más de 1.700 hombres fueron detenidos en Chile entre enero y abril de este año, todos por la misma razón: incumplimiento en el pago de la pensión alimenticia para sus hijos. En total, este inmenso grupo de padres supera los 3.700 millones de pesos en deudas.
https://www.bufetes.cl/articulos/los-ri ... limenticia

¿En qué consiste el arresto nocturno?
Es la sanción que consiste en que el alimentante debe permanecer en el recinto de Gendarmería que señale el Tribunal durante las veintidós horas de cada día, hasta las seis horas del día siguiente. Esto puede ser hasta por quince días, pudiendo repetirse si persiste el incumplimiento.
[/quote]

https://www.legalchile.cl/sanciones-por ... alimentos/

There is a parliamentary project to stiffen the penalties for non-payment, by typifying it as "maltrato habitual" which will involve jail time. Dont know how its progressing.

El delito de maltrato habitual bajo el que quedará tipificado el no pago de pensión de forma reiterada tiene una pena asociada de presidio menor en su grado mínimo, es decir, de 61 a 540 días, salvo que el hecho sea constitutivo de un delito de mayor gravedad donde se aplicará la pena correspondiente a este.

https://www.meganoticias.cl/nacional/28 ... milia.html
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge