Update and a few questions

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
kw2chile

Update and a few questions

Post by kw2chile » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am

Hello All

Short update and a few questions.

My experience with Chilean Jus Sanguinis

After my first post in May I spent some time getting all the relevant documents and sending them out for apostille. In August (with apostilled, certified certificates in triplicate) I flew to Santiago and went to the extranjero office in Civil Registry downtown. I suspected my translated documents(translated by a company in Miami) wouldn’t cut it and was right. Down a few blocks to the Office of foreign affairs and dammit, the dreaded Haitian line around the block. Fortunately for me they were apparently not waiting for document translation. Side Note: the Chileans waiting in that office really, really did not like Haitians. I think if those Haitians had a better grip of Spanish , and understood all the remarks thrown around, there would have been all out chaos. I have to say I really respect the line system in all of the govt offices I visited, take your number and wait your turn for the exact people you need to see. Really cut down on the stress level in that place. I was told first come back in two weeks but I think the lady saw my disappointment and said that for another 14,000 pesos I could pick it up in two days. Two days later, pick up the documents and head back to civil registry. Twenty minutes, a bunch of signatures, fingerprints and see you later. Found out today process completed and I have a brand new RUN number. Total time from submittal to approval and registration, 3 months. Lesson learned: when I come down full time in March bring every certificate, license, or degree, ever issued to me, apostilled, notarized, and signed by anyone around that has ink and an official looking stamp.

After completing this I flew to Puerto Montt, rented a car and spent 4 days just driving around and checking things out. I had only heard of the wet winters till then. Farthest north was Valdivia. Found a few leads, word of mouth, on property and actually walked 2 of them. Both had potential but I knew I had to come back with more time to really get into it as neither was listed anywhere and I imagine a guy could find a lot to look at with more time. Remote is fine with me, maybe preferable, as long as I can at least 4x4 in all year long. Mas o menos 5 hectares minimum with a good water source is what I am looking for if anyone knows someone who knows someone.

Admin, does Spencer Global facilitate property purchases? I may be too small for consideration, if so would you be able to recommend someone? I would like to get this set up so if I find something I can make it happen. Thanks in advance. You probably don’t remember but about 10 or more years ago I somehow wired you a small sum and you researched and presented to me the process I just went through. I owe you a case of your favorite beer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with Chilean citizenship I will be able to open a regular bank account as a Chilean regardless of my dual status right? I am planning a quick trip in January for about a week and was wondering if this would be time enough to open a bank account start to finish? I feel comfortable with what I have read here and elsewhere about the various ways to transfer money but realized I have only opened bank accounts in the usa.

Thanks for all the previous comments and for any more to come. This forum has provided me with much information and if I can give back in any way don’t hesitate to ask.

Travis Middleton

fraggle092

Re: Update and a few questions

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am

kw2chile wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am
..Correct me if I am wrong, but with Chilean citizenship I will be able to open a regular bank account as a Chilean regardless of my dual status right? I am planning a quick trip in January for about a week and was wondering if this would be time enough to open a bank account start to finish? I feel comfortable with what I have read here and elsewhere about the various ways to transfer money but realized I have only opened bank accounts in the usa...
You need to search the forum some more. Plenty of posts on this topic. Current Accounts are not that easy to get here, apart from the Banco Estado Cuenta RUT, which is a Cuenta Vista, useful but somewhat limited.
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Re: Update and a few questions

Post by Space Cat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Cuenta Ahorros (savings) in BE is easy but withdrawals are pricey (though it’s free to transfer money to CuentaRUT). We also accepted a wire to it without a problem.