What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
41southchile

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am

I am not speakling on behalf of anybody. Just how I see things. Take it or leave it.

I think I'll just leave it then, but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am
Well....like everything else here the Revisión Técnica depends on who you know....
I see fewer cars with plumes of smoke behind them here than in Canada. Cars generally seem to be in a better state of maintenance here, and I think that's only thanks to better revision tecnica. In Canada they only check exhaust, but here they also check the shocks, breaks/tires and lights.

As to insulation, I've noticed greater use of thermopanels in new apartment blocks just over the last few years. So one easy way to improve energy efficiency would be to mandate thermopanels for all new construction in Chile in areas with a certain winter temperature range. The build cost differential is probably not that big as it is between single pane vs. thermopanel, and will get smaller with greater volume.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 am
I think I'll just leave it then, but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
Totally agree, I've been telling this again and again to both whining "expats" and self-hating Chileans. The country is really organized and well functioning for its development tier. Don't expect it to be perfect in just 30 years of freedom and you'll be fine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

41southchile wrote:

...... but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
" Plenty" is not enough. What´s needed is at least to have 3/4 of the population to make a difference. The fact in part is lot of ignorance, on the other, priorities are "confused" thinking a car comes first, the latest cellular, the big tv, and brand name clothing. Plus you have the mental factor....reluctant to change and that´s a biggie! Honestly, this country for its size and population ought to run like a Swiss clock. For the some few, contented the way Chile´s running for different reasons...bless them, BUT when you have to wait an hour for a simple foreign transaction at the bank, when businesses big and small have the belief "you have to kiss their ring for serving you" and never return your call or ignore your needs...then something is not functioning properly. I must say though, there is one entity that does its job well when they are not on strike..Registro Civil.
When chilean mentality starts changing and things progressing for the better only then won´t be anymore whining expats and self-hating chileans. At the moment still the same shit just different day.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm
41southchile wrote:

...... but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
" Plenty" is not enough. What´s needed is at least to have 3/4 of the population to make a difference. The fact in part is lot of ignorance, on the other, priorities are "confused" thinking a car comes first, the latest cellular, the big tv, and brand name clothing. Plus you have the mental factor....reluctant to change and that´s a biggie! Honestly, this country for its size and population ought to run like a Swiss clock. For the few some, they are contented the way Chile´s running for different reasons...bless them, BUT when you have to wait an hour for a simple foreign transaction at the bank, when businesses big and small have the belief "you have to kiss their ring for serving you" and never return your call or ignore your needs...then something is not functioning properly. I must say though, there is one entity that does its job well when they are not on strike..Registro Civil.
When chilean mentality starts changing and things progressing for the better only then won´t be anymore whining expats and self-hating chileans. At the moment still the same shit just different day.
I agree Gloria, there is a lot that can be improved in my opinion, but I was just disagreeing with the statement that NO Chileans can be bothered and no one is doing anything constructive which was the impression the other post was giving, or it was the impression I took away from their comments.

You are a right, a lot of things don't seem to function properly or as they should in a more efficient way, but
I've seen that happen everywhere, parts of rural USA still run on dial up internet, and the banking system in a lot of countries is slow and abysmal from my experience and what I would consider old fashioned.

The point is I worked out for myself what was wrong with my attitude and negativity with the country. I don't think anyone can change other people's attitudes and beliefs, sure you can try and people have every right to voice their opinions/experiences and views, but it's not always guaranteed to get any results, everyone thinks diffently, what makes sense to me, probably doesn't occur to a lot of other people for whatever reasons.

I believe It's like an alcoholic, they generally have to hit rock bottom (hopefully not kill themselves in the process), before they sort their shit out for themselves and address their issues, no matter how much people try and convince them drinking is killing them.
Others can try and put their point across to the alcoholic, as everyone has the right to, as with everything but in the end it is down to the individual.

I came to the realisation/conclusion that only looking for negative things was only going to produce more negative results for me, so really it wasn't helping anything or changing anything so I was only really punishing myself and no one else really gave a shit as they kept going on about their lives as they always had done.
I know that all that sounds like self help bullshit and reading it back it may sound like it and I always cringe when I hear people talking like that, but that's just my experience.

For me in Chile, the history and where people come from, social norms, beliefs, religion, shit you name it really and you can put it into the mix, they all play a part in the way Chile is today and why it functions the way it is, and why individuals brains function the way they do, (but that's only a guess I suppose because I can't transport myself into people's brains to see what and why they think the way they do).

Do I agree with a lot of things, and they way they work ? hell no, but I don't agree with the way things work or are done in a lot of countries around the world, so that is nothing exclusive to Chile.

As you say it's down to each individual's mentality and the way they see the world, that's kind of a scary thought I suppose but it's also kind of a relief too, if that makes sense.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Trust me, I know all about "thinking positively". I watched enough times "The Secret" and "dah di dah". I came saturated of "good vibes"and "good will to the new adventure" before stepping chilean soil. But once I got involved with bureaucracy and trying to open a "simple, basic and everyday bank account" I knew I was in trouble and all the positive thinking went out of the window. I kept hearing over and over by my ejecutiva in Banco Chile....ASÍ ES CHILE poh, ASÍ ES CHILE poh! So by then I had to change and wear a "new body suit", "start filing my nails" and "loosening my tongue".Now, don´t forget I´m a native and as such I thought all would be "okidoki"....not such a thing. But by then it was too late, there was no turning back. I have talked and listened enough to understand how chileans as a whole think and behave and I can tell you for a fact that they like to live at the edge of the law, sort of "catch me if you can"....always taking chances, therefore things will not change unless they are forced and by that I mean getting hit in the pockets with FINES! Once the government starts imposing drastic measures, only then things will be running as they are meant to be. The "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" system would have to be abolish permanently. I have seeing signs of this happening so its a matter of time. You can come to Chile with the best of intentions by most times doesn´t work and you have to switch to something else......ogre? :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Trust me, I know all about "thinking positively". I watched enough times "The Secret" and "dah di dah". I came saturated of "good vibes"and "good will to the new adventure" before stepping chilean soil. But once I got involved with bureaucracy and trying to open a "simple, basic and everyday bank account" I knew I was in trouble and all the positive thinking went out of the window. So by then I had to change and wear a "new body suit", "start filing my nails" and "loosening my tongue".Now, don´t forget I´m a native and as such I thought all would be "okidoki"....not such a thing. But by then it was too late, there was no turning back. I have talked and listened enough to understand how chileans as a whole think and behave and I can tell you for a fact that they like to live at the edge of the law, sort of "catch me if you can"....always taking chances, therefore things will not change unless they are forced and by that I mean getting hit in the pockets with FINES! Once the government starts imposing drastic measures, only then things will be running as they are meant to be. The "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" system would have to be abolish permanently. I have seeing signs of this happening so its a matter of time. You can come to Chile with the best of intentions by most times doesn´t work and you have to switch to something else.
Yes all good points, but and they actually raise more questions than they provide any answers for me anyway, but a couple of points :, The trouble with that "thinking positivity" stuff is it is still propoganda at the end and other people trying to transplant their experiences onto other people, so it doesn't work in my view, it's something that needs to come organicly through people's own awareness.
Just like the kids that can do a Rubix cube in 10 seconds they have trained their brains to do that, same as athletes, same as actors, and I guess just like Donald Trump became president, he believes in himself and has trainned his brain that way, same as anyone really, it's just training the brain, I don't think it's some divine intervention.
The government is not something to impose order on their population, isnt it supposed to be a representation of its citizens and their wishes, (then that raises more questions about what are the citizens wishes) ?
So how can a government start cracking down and fining people ?
If the population or the representatives don't want something how would that happen ?
I dont know, I'm still kind of confused about how all that works, that's only a theory it would actually be good if it worked that way.
But the type of govt we have at the moment is what we have and unfortunately it is abused by certain members of society, either through their filthy corruption or their ineptnes, so I'm kind leaning towards the opinion of fuck the government they don't know what's best for everyone and should not try to .

Yes there should be a government to protect people's basic rights, you know the traditional ones, life, property, contracts, and freedom to be yourself and do what you like as long as it doesn't impede on others, the rest of it is bullshit in my opinion.

They are needed, but need to be held to account, (somehow) to maintain those rights for people, because despite my faith in humanity I'm not some friggin idealistic eutopian individual that thinks everyone is good, that's just not the case.

The older I get the more I believe the state and the "government" doesn't know what is best for people, so I don't believe they are the best ones to offer a solution to societies ills (whatever ithey may be).

Government is prone to be influenced by individuals who want things their way, somehow there needs to be a way to balance and control government.

They (whover they is) shouldn't try and overreach with their powers and trying to influence people's behaviour and how they act around the world currently is an overreach, so all of this is just a theory.

Looking for the government to sort out issues leads to problems, just open any history book and you can see that for yourself.

Nothing is perfect, everyone is free to choose how they view the world, but that's the paradox, is that the right word ? Just in the way our brains are so powerful not even our own brains can understand them,
Ita kind of paradoxical they way I think society should function.
We are all individuals but we still need to act in a coordinated way, I think the honey bee does it better than humans.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Anyway the more I think about it, the more I know what I am going to try and do, so I guess watch this space. 🤔😀
I figure I might have another 3 or 4 good decades in me , unless I get taken out in an accident or something, I really don't rate my chances healthwise after about 80 the way I have treated my body in my younger years, because you know the scientists say all the fun shit in life is not physically good for you, so maybe I won't even make it to 80 -85, (even if there is some medical breakthrough anyway, I probably won't be able to be bothered anymore, why hang around?) but assuming I have a few decades, that's enough time to do some shit because, you know, why not?
It's that paradox again, like I don't give a shit but I do give a shit at the same time, if that makes sense?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

You got me there Buckwheat! :shock: Now I have no idea of what the hell we were talking about..... I lost my train of thought......did you take your medication? :lol: .....is just a joke.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm
You got me there Buckwheat! :shock: Now I have no idea of what the hell we were talking about..... I lost my train of thought......did you take your medication? :lol: .....is just a joke.
Hahahah, no I forgot to take it today, no I kind of meant like I want to do something. I sort of know what, but it's only on a local level, but it may start something bigger. I'm not aiming to be president of Chile or anything like that, but I reckon I can do some more things in Llanquihue, it's only got 16000 people in the community, so it's small enough to try stuff, if it doesn't work out ah well, I'll do something else , if it does, who knows ? stir things up a bit. Anyway as I say watch this space. Saludos.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Gloria wrote:
Hahah yeah reading back on that Gloria I can see how that Train of thought got derailled, it made sense to me when I was writing it, but I can imagine probably not on the other end, that's what I get I guess when I write stuff waiting in for a turn at the notaria.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
Gloria wrote:
Hahah yeah reading back on that Gloria I can see how that Train of thought got derailled, it made sense to me when I was writing it, but I can imagine probably not on the other end, that's what I get I guess when I write stuff waiting in for a turn at the notaria.
:lol: :lol: how funny! Oh well, from isulation, to state of mind, to a question mark. :lol: .