What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
41southchile

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am

I am not speakling on behalf of anybody. Just how I see things. Take it or leave it.

I think I'll just leave it then, but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am
Well....like everything else here the Revisión Técnica depends on who you know....
I see fewer cars with plumes of smoke behind them here than in Canada. Cars generally seem to be in a better state of maintenance here, and I think that's only thanks to better revision tecnica. In Canada they only check exhaust, but here they also check the shocks, breaks/tires and lights.

As to insulation, I've noticed greater use of thermopanels in new apartment blocks just over the last few years. So one easy way to improve energy efficiency would be to mandate thermopanels for all new construction in Chile in areas with a certain winter temperature range. The build cost differential is probably not that big as it is between single pane vs. thermopanel, and will get smaller with greater volume.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 am
I think I'll just leave it then, but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
Totally agree, I've been telling this again and again to both whining "expats" and self-hating Chileans. The country is really organized and well functioning for its development tier. Don't expect it to be perfect in just 30 years of freedom and you'll be fine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 am

...... but I know plenty of Chileans that have invested in double glazing and insulation, that's not just how I see it , it's how it is , and they don't really speak any eco talk either, they just do stuff. Guess that's why the country functions reasonably well, nothing is perfect, but it's shit load more advanced than a lot of other countries on many levels, because there are plenty of people that make things happen, despite the ammount of people that can't be arsed doing anything for themselves, it's actually surprising how well shit does work when you see what you are working with.
" Plenty" is not enough. What´s needed is at least to have 3/4 of the population to make a difference. The fact in part is lot of ignorance, on the other, priorities are "confused" thinking a car comes first, the latest cellular, the big tv, and brand name clothing. Plus you have the mental factor....reluctant to change and that´s a biggie! Honestly, this country for its size and population ought to run like a Swiss clock. For the some few, contented the way Chile´s running for different reasons...bless them, BUT when you have to wait an hour for a simple foreign transaction at the bank, when businesses big and small have the belief "you have to kiss their ring for serving you" and never return your call or ignore your needs...then something is not functioning properly. I must say though, there is one entity that does its job well when they are not on strike..Registro Civil.
When chilean mentality starts changing and things progressing for the better only then won´t be anymore whining expats and self-hating chileans. At the moment still the same shit just different day.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Puerto Varas
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Trust me, I know all about "thinking positively". I watched enough times "The Secret" and "dah di dah". I came saturated of "good vibes"and "good will to the new adventure" before stepping chilean soil. But once I got involved with bureaucracy and trying to open a "simple, basic and everyday bank account" I knew I was in trouble and all the positive thinking went out of the window. I kept hearing over and over by my ejecutiva in Banco Chile....ASÍ ES CHILE poh, ASÍ ES CHILE poh! So by then I had to change and wear a "new body suit", "start filing my nails" and "loosening my tongue".Now, don´t forget I´m a native and as such I thought all would be "okidoki"....not such a thing. But by then it was too late, there was no turning back. I have talked and listened enough to understand how chileans as a whole think and behave and I can tell you for a fact that they like to live at the edge of the law, sort of "catch me if you can"....always taking chances, therefore things will not change unless they are forced and by that I mean getting hit in the pockets with FINES! Once the government starts imposing drastic measures, only then things will be running as they are meant to be. The "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" system would have to be abolish permanently. I have seeing signs of this happening so its a matter of time. You can come to Chile with the best of intentions by most times doesn´t work and you have to switch to something else......ogre? :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Northern

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Patagonia

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

You got me there Buckwheat! :shock: Now I have no idea of what the hell we were talking about..... I lost my train of thought......did you take your medication? :lol: .....is just a joke.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Chile

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Live

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm
Gloria wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm
You got me there Buckwheat! :shock: Now I have no idea of what the hell we were talking about..... I lost my train of thought......did you take your medication? :lol: .....is just a joke.
Hahah yeah reading back on that Gloria I can see how that Train of thought got derailled, it made sense to me when I was writing it, but I can imagine probably not on the other end, that's what I get I guess when I write stuff waiting in for a turn at the notaria.
:lol: :lol: how funny! Oh well, from isulation, to state of mind, to a question mark. :lol: .