Help understanding terms used in car sale ad descriptions.

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Donnybrook

Re: Help understanding terms used in car sale ad descriptions.

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 am

The restriction for catalytics affects cars registered before 2011. Mine is 2008, so affected. It means there will be one day a week that you cannot drive between 7.30 am and 9 pm. This is one of those laws which has arrived without any plan on how to implement it. There is no sticker to identify these cars - as is the case with non-catalytics. The only indication will be the license plate. This will start on the first of May and end the 31st of August.

perfor8

Post by perfor8 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am

Why ban vehicles WITH catalytic converters?

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 am

Supposedly for the EURO 5 diesel regulation:
https://www.autofact.cl/comunidad/restr ... ticos-2017

The law was supposed to go into effect this year, but has been postponed. However, it seems that they keep the "cut-off" point at 2011 - I guess due to the above.

http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noticia ... ?id=414743

Nice when I have a 2012 car that I have no intention of replacing any time soon - I thought they would adjust the "cut-off" every year.

I also note that leña will be forbidden and changes to Transantiago buses will apply. Both initiviatives that should have much more impact on the polution level than the car thing, IF they actually enforce it...