Open subjects

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

rocksana

Re: Open subjects

Post by rocksana » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:23 am

frozen-north wrote:
I always heard about how progressive they were in Sweden, so I was very surprised to discover that, if a couple is not married and one of them dies, the survivor has no rights of inheritance.

Sweden has arcane inheritance laws, so absent marriage and a will, common-law spouses have no entitlement to an estate and no recourse through the courts,

http://www.nationalpost.com/Estate+plan ... story.html
Strange actually, i would not expected that either, but maybe that has changed by now (3.5 year old article)

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:41 pm

rocksana wrote:
Donnybrook wrote: A friend's daughter is doing a short stint in Norway as part of her university education and her reports somewhat echo what you have posted.
Wow we are at least three then! (the other one a PhD student who did his Ms in Finland... the first one to warn me of the coming hell...)
Is she from Chile or USA?
Neither. She is Australian. A very well travelled and observant young lady.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:45 pm

rocksana wrote:
Donnybrook wrote: One often finds an almost unrecognizable Chile on lists of one sort or another. Why should it be different for Norway?
Because they patronize everybody else, due to their *perfect* system where everybody is happy and wealthy, and because of their equality.
There are countries that like to perpetuate myths abiut themselves, through their citizens to project somewhat of a different impression to the outside world donnybrook is 100 percent right. I dont like to bag my own nationality and wont here, but i could tell you a few home truths over an asado.

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:18 pm

El Lechero wrote: donnybrook is 100 percent right. I dont like to bag my own nationality and wont here, but i could tell you a few home truths over an asado.

For some reason I assumed you were a Kiwi :) and that you live in Southern Chile. I seem to remember reading posts of yours, and milk, south well New Zealand comes to my mind. For me, carrots please, I am veggie :)
In any event, I think most of the citizens of this forum are world citizens, aren't we.
Donnybrook wrote: Neither. She is Australian. A very well travelled and observant young lady.
I have never have the chance to go to Oceania, but it's interesting though that experiences from people of different backgrounds (and age groups I assume) give similar outputs, especially from within the matrix itself.

In any event would like to highlight that Norway is an OK country, my main point was that the wealth everybody talks about is not tangible at all... A good fella told me their wealth is not material but it is their health system, but for that case I think you can find almost the same system all over Europe. There is a nice thing though, something like a 2500 kroner cap, which is the maximum anyone in this country is supposed to spend in health per year, the difference is state provided. That is quite generous, but I am not sure it compensates for the lack many other things (and it does not include dental, unlike in Finland where dental care is also both state provided and private).
And back to the 2500 kroner yearly max, I think the probability of needing that much is quite low. Should I save that amount every year I am healthy, I would end up with enough savings to pay form my pocket private health care in Chile at least :s, if I ever need. But that is an iffy argument. I guess it is always good to have decent public health care available and also affordable choice of private care. Maybe i ask for too much and my ideal country just does not exist :D

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:43 pm

There is, indeed, no perfect country. You move from one to the other and - once the nostalgia for the last place wears off - you realize that. I think my perfect country would have to contain bits of each of the several places I have lived or, at least, the bits that were there when I lived there. Countries change, we change, each of us looks for different things. My list changes too. I could no longer take a harsh winter with piles of snow, although I have fond memories of a year in New England with its spectacular autumn. I guess the most you can hope for is an OK country, once you have added up all the pros and subtracted the cons. On that score, Chile works well for me but doesn't for everyone and I guess Norway is the same.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:56 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

john

Post by john » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:55 pm

marti wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:There is, indeed, no perfect country. You move from one to the other and - once the nostalgia for the last place wears off - you realize that. I think my perfect country would have to contain bits of each of the several places I have lived or, at least, the bits that were there when I lived there. Countries change, we change, each of us looks for different things. My list changes too. I could no longer take a harsh winter with piles of snow, although I have fond memories of a year in New England with its spectacular autumn. I guess the most you can hope for is an OK country, once you have added up all the pros and subtracted the cons. On that score, Chile works well for me but doesn't for everyone and I guess Norway is the same.

So there's a real difference between us,
And I will tell you what it is. Out yonder
Under the skies men have a common saying :
"Man, to thyself be true!" But here, 'mongst Trolls,
"Troll, to thyself be... enough! "

Peer Gynt
Act 2, Scene VI
But, wasn't Ibsen a Danish interloper? :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Donnybrook wrote:There is, indeed, no perfect country. You move from one to the other and - once the nostalgia for the last place wears off - you realize that. I think my perfect country would have to contain bits of each of the several places I have lived or, at least, the bits that were there when I lived there. Countries change, we change, each of us looks for different things. My list changes too. I could no longer take a harsh winter with piles of snow, although I have fond memories of a year in New England with its spectacular autumn. I guess the most you can hope for is an OK country, once you have added up all the pros and subtracted the cons. On that score, Chile works well for me but doesn't for everyone and I guess Norway is the same.

Very wise actually. I guess in the end it is about balancing the crap you are willing to put up with and the 'must have'.
Also keeping expectations low is always good I guess. In my case expectations were too high.

SCL

Post by SCL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Valpo is not my favorite city, but it makes the news from time to time. When will it really improve? Who knows...

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/02/can ... nk3_022515

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Tijuana is way worse than Valpo and it has no view----and thanks to a mostly flat landscape and open sewers, there is a constant odor that if you are there for more than a day or two, the smell takes two days to leave your nose----also no trash pick up so residents burn their trash, so there's that.

###

john

Post by john » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:13 pm

marti wrote:And when Valpo doesn't make the news, it's the same old Valpo, where "microbasural" was invented.

Some like 520 of them in the last census.

Valpo is the pisspot of the country.

In all of Latin America, I mean, Letrine America, I have only encountered one city filthier than Valpo, and that was an oil-town in Argentina.

rata_baja2.jpg
And, paradoxically, Valpo is one of the most beautiful cities in the Americas.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell