Italy vs Chile

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Italy vs Chile

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

If you are finding aspects of daily life living here somewhat incomprehensible, have a look at this article. OK it´s about Italy, but as you may have noticed, the Mediterranean influence here is quite strong....just substitute buena onda for simpatico It is a little exaggerated but the same principles (or lack thereof) apply.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 19833.html
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

GJJIM

Re: Italy vs Chile

Post by GJJIM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 am

I'm certainly no expert on the three countries, but I have visited each one as a tourist. Other than the climate in some areas, I don't see much similarity between Italy and Chile. Italy has a storied history of art, science, architecture, food, and literature. Chile has great potential, and lots of avocados.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 pm

The simpatico concept is definitely common to both countries, nice article.

John Hyre

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 pm

For those of you who don't know, my background is Italian. I am an Italian /Canadian and I lived in Italy for the first half of my life. I still have 50% of my family in Italy as well and I travel there at least once every two years. I can assure you - Italy & Chile are NOTHING alike. Not even the slightest!

Edit: just to clarify when I say nothing alike, I do not mean Italy is better in anyway. In some aspects Chile is better; in other aspects Italy is better. Of course, these are of my personal opinion and experiences.
Living the life!

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:54 pm

I think some of you are reading waaaay too much into the original post. The point was not to compare the two countries in any large sense, just to note some cultural similarity in one narrow aspect. Lighten up.

John Hyre

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 pm

patagoniax wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote: Italy & Chile are NOTHING alike.
Correcto. You have to go to Argentina.

The Argentino travels to Italy, looks at the names in the phone book, and says, madre mía, look at all the Argentinos in this country !
LOL
Living the life!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 pm

JHyre wrote:I think some of you are reading waaaay too much into the original post. The point was not to compare the two countries in any large sense, just to note some cultural similarity in one narrow aspect. Lighten up.

John Hyre
At least someone got my drift..and if you compare Milan or Turin to Catania or Palermo they are pretty different also, been in all of them.
That´s the trouble with an article full of generalizations, people will always disagree, just read the comments attached to the article itself :-)
By inference that means Argentina is therefore NOTHING like Chile...could have fooled me. Now if you had said Kazakhstan is NOTHING like Chile i might agree.

Après moi, le déluge

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

patagoniax wrote:

The Argentino travels to Italy, looks at the names in the phone book, and says, madre mía, look at all the Argentinos in this country !
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA so true. HIlarious. They do love their Italian Heritage. They also know what they're doing in the gelato department, though. I have to agree with Chupacabra to a certain extent. I used to live in Italy, and She and Chile are nothing alike when you consider the oodles of history, the culture, the food. Oh God, the food. To be fair, it's hard to compare the country that invented (or at the very least perfected) pizza with the country who deems it acceptable to use ketchup on pizza in lieu of real sauce. That alone is criminal.

On the other hand, it depends on what you're comparing no?

-Italians LOVE their red tape. I remember going to 3 different floors to get fingerprinted 3 different times, on the same day in the same building, to get my student visa processed. Never mind the multiple times I had to go before and after, just to get some official paper stamped elsewhere or because I was told something was ready and then I arrived and it wasn't. And of course every official I talked to seemed to have a different story. All this done a good 4 1/2 months into my arrival in Italy on a year long student visa that specifically stated everything had to be in order within the first 3 months of arrival and I could not leave the country until this was done. Nevermind that I drove my smartcar back and forth to Slovenia every weekend (good shopping; they hadn't incorporated the euro yet) many time before this came to pass.

-Banking. God help the foreigner that needs to open a simple bank account there. And even to close it, you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time signing away your life and first born.

-Lining up. I grew up in Canada where you're taught to respect a queue. Boy did I get an education when I moved to Italy. And when I left Italy I forgot about that until I came back to Chile, where I was re-schooled.

-Driving. Actually, I cut my teeth driving in New Orleans amongst the drunks in the land of drive-through daiquiri stands but I have Italy to thank for teaching me some serious defensive driving. Frickin' tiny people on mopeds everywhere. Sheesh. Speed and Traffic signals? Mostly just a suggestion I was assured repeatedly. The phrase Crazy, Kamikaze drivers comes to mind. I'm pretty sure there are more than a few Chileans that went to the same driver's ed school lol.

-The Pituto system. Don't know what the Italians called it, but it's alive, well and flourishing in Italy also.

-Overpriced Electronics. No wait, my bad. That's pretty much everywhere except China and the US, no?

So yeah, if you really want to find similarities, they are there. Yet, when you take into account the centuries of history; the art, the music, the food, the architecture, THE CHEESE!!!... well it's very difficult to find similarities if those are foremost in your mind. Did I mention the cheese?
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm

patagoniax wrote:

patagoniax wrote:Incorrecto. What curious logic for such an inference.
Let me spell it out:
You state that Chile and Italy are not alike.
But you also say that Italy and Argentina are alike.
Hence Chile and Argentina cannot be alike, simple enough?

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Px, I was actually enjoying the discussion!

Incidentally the IV Reqion has quite a sizeable Italian colony. They settled here after WW2 and have done well in Agriculture, Transport and Wine, among other activities.

Après moi, le déluge

Kia.Kruse

Post by Kia.Kruse » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:16 pm

I have not varrived in Chile yet, but Italy is the most overrated country in history. I have been there many times to work icluding a brief job last year in Taranto. The country every where is in total chaos.The roads are like those in Africa, hardly any building has been cleaned, it appears that every park I have seen was over grown and trash was everywhere. Last year in Rome, I saw just about every corner full of chicken bones and two teenager girls pulled their pants down,very near to the Vactican and did their toliet in front of every passer by. Near Milano, I saw long lines of sub-sarahan Africans prositiutes jumping into any vechicle that stopped. The only area I saw that was of middle class standards was in the Balzano area. It is very expensive and the police have the worst reputation in the EU for violence and illegal stop and control. Other areas like Lucca are so bad now, with high unemployment, the criminals now conduct armed robbery in just about any corner of town. Stay out of Italy or maybe for two days!Two scoops on a ice cone will set you back 8 euros!

otravers

Post by otravers » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Italy (as it exists now, i.e. with Somalia and Ethiopia in it) and Chile are entirely different just like aged parmigiano and cream cheese are entirely different. Both still belong to the dairy food group if you get my drift...
http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles4/1 ... 256516.jpg

I can't wait for northern Italy to secede from the southern bullshit, Savoie and Haute Savoie to secede from French bullshit, and to see an Alpine Free Confederacy be formed between these two, Switzerland, Slovenia and Austria. I "just" have to make $5M in the Americas then I'll retire there somewhere near a lake. A house in Lugano is a bit outside of my reach right now!
http://www.immoscout24.ch/IS24Web/_V2/D ... 57&index=3