Jam session - playing out in Santiago

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

KJS

Jam session - playing out in Santiago

Post by KJS » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Hello fellow musicians

I've searched the forum for music and jam sessions but don't see a whole lot. I live in Santiago and play guitar and sing. There seem to be a lot of bars like Cafe Brasil, etc in that neighborhood that would welcome a few dudes with guitars to play on stage. Are there any other musicians out there? What have your experiences been like playing out in Santiago? Are there any good open mic/open stage settings in Santiago that you know of? I played some while I lived in Washington, DC, so I'm looking to get back in action here too.

Looking forward to your comments and stories...and to possibly getting a session together if possible.

helibel

Re: Jam session - playing out in Santiago

Post by helibel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:25 pm

I am going to SEND A :) pm .

Skraeling

Post by Skraeling » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:58 am

A tantalizing thread begun here, guys!

More! More!

KJS

Post by KJS » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:32 pm

So ya don't say? Well, that's quite a good urban music story for sure. The secret Jazz meet is very cool and would be a great thing to stumble into. I was able to find a couple secret Rock meetings in Cleveland a while ago, granted they were less suit/tie and more canned beer style at that point. But down the cellar stairs and jamming in a padded room in the early AM, nonetheless.

I might have a contact that plays stand up bass in the Santiago orchestra looking for other music outlets. Will meet up some time hopefully to see what that's all about.

Even the open bar scenes in Santiago have a very cool vibe to them in the bellavista and barrio brasil areas. I had to get used to the smoke filled bar scene again since big cities in the US have pretty much phased that out. The live music is great though.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:39 pm

There is this place by my house called Gatobar (Tobalaba/Larraín in La Reina) that has had advertisements that they have jam sessions. I have never actually gone, so I don't know how it works, but it might be worth looking into.

KJS

Post by KJS » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for the tips. Someone else had mentioned Gatobar to me too. No website, so I'll swing by one day to see what it's all about.

I just re-read el p's jazz story again. Thank god Santiago is a city with these secrets and not completely urbanized in the sheit-y modern way that most go down. My first image impression of Santiago when I arrived about a year ago was that some of the barrios are like old east berlin in some weird way...is it the grey polluted stone buildings? Who knows?

Stay classy, Santiago. 8)

JackSantiago

Post by JackSantiago » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

I just came across this thread. KJS- Did you ever check out Gatobar? How was it? Something in the thread above must have been removed, but if someone wants to fill in a recently arrived musician about what the secret jazz meet is, that would be cool. I would love to find an open mic or a place to jam and meet other musicians to collaborate with here in Santiago. Any ideas?

KJS

Post by KJS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:24 pm

JackSantiago, looks like the music thread has been rekindled. Welcome to Santiago! I never did check out Gatobar, but I have stopped by Phone Box Pub (around Manuel Montt and Providencia) and they've got an open mic. Fairly eclectic crowd with a nice dusty stage and PA's teetering where they may. I can't remember if musicians have to stop by beforehand to kind of audition or if it's a fairly open, sign up on the list and wait for your round kind of setup.

That jazz story was removed by its author some time ago with all his other posts, replaced only with xxx's. Too bad, because it was a cool story. The moral of the story was that Santiago has a lot of cool history and little known happenings that, with a little patience, one can stumble upon, if he's got a passion for what he's looking for. Has old Tatio P taken up writing on a typewriter instead of the internet perhaps, or ceased writing entirely? We may never know...

JackSantiago

Post by JackSantiago » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks KJS.

There's also a new Irish pub in Providencia that is having an acoustic open mic this Saturday, Sept 15, at 9 p.m.

The Shamrock
Av. Providencia 1100
Local 18 - Torres de Tajamar
Santiago, Chile

It is a fun little place, owned and run by an Irish guy, and frequented by a good mix of ex-pats and Chileans.

Peace,
Jack

seefordays

Post by seefordays » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 am

hey guys any update on this? I lead a band See for Days and would love to play an open mic, I am in Santiago next week, my band has over 2500 fans in Chile and while I'm down there for travel would love to play. In general would love any help or suggestions on how the music scene is in Chile. For some reason they really dig our stuff! Thanks Les from See For Days

<LINK REMOVED>

KJS

Post by KJS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Seefordays, not a whole lot to report on the music scene. JackSantiago, true the Shamrock is a pretty cool little pub. The one-foot tall stage is maybe big enough for two or three people, but not more as they have it designed. The bar is pretty small, so not a great venue for a full band setup. You could contact them and try to set up a more modest spread though. You could still have a decent show with intimate ambiance. Shamrock owner is pretty cool, and the beer is good. On Monday, they're hosting the final presidential debate.

t.jones

Post by t.jones » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am

Hello there! Two years later, a revival once more? I moved to Santiago nearly one month ago, and I'm a musician searching relentlessly for some open mic/small performance venues to get my foot in the door.

GatoBar seems to have fallen through cracks, according to some recent reviews... As far as The Shamrock is concerned, they advertise on their home page that they have live music and open mic nights, but on their October calendar I see nothing but sporting events and language exchanges (which I'm going to give a shot, I think).

Any other suggestions/new revelations/insights on the matter? Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone is interested in getting together sometime to jam and exchange, that would also be appreciated! (I've played trumpet most of my life, but have recently switched to stringed instruments in an attempt to get my voice out there instead, which is what I prefer. Therefore, I sing and play the ukulele, and I'm searching for a good guitar mentor!)