On C.V. Testing

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

RuneTheChookcha

On C.V. Testing

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:34 pm

As I have watched a number of videos showing the technicalities of the testing, this is in response to the following forum post:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17404&p=203053&hilit=test#p203053
PXYC wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm
...Anyway the test is not exactly painless, you feel the stick entering your nose almost up to your brain ... can't imagine anyone doing it just for sport...
Quote from "The Latest in Coronavirus (COVID-19) Testing Methods and Availability":

...Molecular tests typically involve inserting a 6-inch long swab into the back of the nasal passage through one nostril and rotating the swab several times for 15 seconds. This process is then repeated through the other nostril...

Source: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/coronavirus ... ilability/

A business-insider article:

A doctor explains why some people faint when they get a coronavirus test

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-the ... int-2020-4

Quotes:

* While most people find the coronavirus test uncomfortable, in rare cases, it may make people faint.

* Because many clinicians performing the tests aren't experts in nasal anatomy, their technique may make a difference in how uncomfortable it is for a patient, too.

While momentarily uncomfortable for most, it was "excruciating" for Pauw, who already had swollen nasal passages and had to drive 45 minutes to Tacoma, Washington, to get one.

"It feels like being stabbed, to me, in a really sensitive place and then having it be twisted," she said. "And then, they had to do it twice."

One member of a private Facebook group for COVID-19 survivors told Business Insider: "It felt like I was cleaned from behind my eyeball," leading to an hour-long headache. Several others said they cried. Many used the word "intense" to describe it.

Fainting seems to be rare, but understandable

Reports of people fainting are rare, and are likely to be "connected to more primitive reflexes," Nasseri said.

Specifically, the "seal dive" or "diving" reflex, which all mammals experience when submerging their faces submerge in icy​ water.

The reflex shunts blood away from the skin and toward the inner organs, and causes a decrease in heart and breathing rate in order to conserve energy and oxygen for the heart and brain.

The swab may initiate a similar reaction and cause some people to faint from the lack of blood flow to their brain, just like some people faint at the sight of blood.

admin
Site Admin

Re: On C.V. Testing

Post by admin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:14 pm

My wife and I just did an antibodies test this weekend.

Other than the pin prick to get the drop of blood, not very dramatic.
20200620_134331.jpg
came up negative for both types of antibodies.

We were like, "yippee, we don't have covid".

Then we were like, "dam, we don't have covid".

never thought I would be so disappointed to not have had a contagious deadly disease.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm

so, how that all came about.

about two weeks ago we needed to go shopping. we were running out of various things. both jumbo delivery and lider pickup stopped working where we are at. we have pretty much managed to stay out of a grocery store since the first case was detected.

so, we decided to bite the bullet, and go to lider at the mall in Puerto Varas for one big shopping trip.

we were there about two hours. the mall was mostly shutdown. there was like perhaps one other person in each isle at most.

next day, news breaks the health ministry has shutdown the mall. seems there were 5 cases among the mall workers, and the dam company was trying to keep it quiet. mayor's office caught wind of it, called the health ministry. they shut them down.

well, I was not too terrible concerned on one level. we had close, like less than 1 meter, interaction with the checkout girl for like 20 mins. everyone had masks, took all the precautions. everything was left out in the sun for 30 mins when we got home, then wiped down.

my guess our chance of getting it was like 0.0005% chance.

but, if we are wrong, and my mother in law gets it, she has about 110% chance of dying from it.

so, we self-quartined at home for 14 days. not like we are really going anywhere anyway.

one of our clients is a biochemist, and owns a private lab. it came up in conversation, and he offered to send us some antibody tests.

we were really more curious than concerned.

guess that finally answers the question I had about that bad cold we had back in like January. it was not covid.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:37 pm
about two weeks ago we needed to go shopping. we were running out of various things. both jumbo delivery and lider pickup stopped working where we are at. we have pretty much managed to stay out of a grocery store since the first case was detected.

so, we decided to bite the bullet, and go to lider at the mall in Puerto Varas for one big shopping trip.
It's one thing to go to the stores when they are delivering and another altogether when they are not delivering. It blows my mind to watch people in the grocery stores who are so afraid that they are wearing masks in 90 degree heat instead of just having the food delivered. If they're so afraid of this thing, why are they taking the chance that a flimsy piece of material is going to save their life? Just punch in a delivery and stay home.

proger

Post by proger » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:40 pm

problem is delivery not available

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 pm

actually the problem we have is with the shit web designers in chile.

jumbo worked twice for us. then their site, after spending an hour selecting our order, tells us that the next delivery is over a month from now. a day or two we were fine with, but a month?

meanwhile, a friend that lives in town, an even more remote location on the edge, has no problem. typically they dispatch the next day to her house, and does it once a week without a problem.

first the site decided that our house does not exist.

so we had them deliver to our office in the center of town. at which point we asked the driver if they were delivering to our condo on the edge of town, he said yea all the time.

so the next time we ordered we used our office address, then had the driver call us so he knew to really wanted delivered to our house. we basically conspired with the driver to trick their computer system in to working.

so we managed to get the to delivery once to our house, then the website decided our office did not exist (in the center of town, and had been delivered to twice).

so, yea, in 2020, chile's still working on the nuts and bolts of ecommerce. The most important thing is RELIABILITY!!!!

similar problem with lider's website.

FYI, we are not asking for loaf of bread and an apple. we typically place a couple hundred thousand peso order at one time. less hassel. less contact.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Yep. That is why Cornershop is massively successful in Santiago. The supermarkets own apps and homepages are horrendous

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pm

I've been using Rappi consistently since forever exactly because I then don't have to deal with this kind of bullshit. Stuff gets delivered the same day, and that's it. Also, their customer actually works for once, so there's that as well. Although it should be expected for it to work, as, as far as I know, it is handled by their Colombian team (as opposed to a Chilean """customer service""" company).
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 am

Are you and your wife perhaps blood type O?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 am

mem wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 am
why?

donnybrok2

Post by donnybrok2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 am

I had that test in 2016, the one with the swab up a nostril. It is truly horrible. The clinic had a machine which identified various influenzas. Cost $140,000 and not covered by Isapre but gave a very quick result. Five days in quarantine in the clinic.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 am

admin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 am
mem wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 am
why?
The news reports that blood type O are more resistant to infection and if infected have less severe cases