The Day After

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Day After

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 am

In 1918 it is estimated in India alone, 40 to 50 million people died of the Spanish flue.

India only had a population of around 250 million people at that time.

Now at 1.4 billion people.

How many are going to die this time?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gregf

Post by gregf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm not quite sure how some of you folks are capable of the mental gymnastics that reduces this crisis to some sort of overblown hoax, or saying its not even as bad as the seasonal flu.

And it isn't just deaths from covid. Its the massive crush of patients on our health care systems, that can't withstand it forever. that comes with treating the folks who get very sick but can recover with hospitalization, oxygen, intubation. That crush results in more and more deaths, covid or otherwise. Without that treatment the death rate will soar higher.

Jesus, just look at Italy and Spain. I'm not saying it is the end of the world, and I do think we'll eventually get through it all and it won't be a decade but it might be 12-18 months before anything seems "totally normal" again. But christ I am so tired of reactionary far right types swinging in here telling everyone its a fucking hoax and overblown and its some sort of democratic hoax to make trump look bad. Irresponsible is the nicest thing I can think to say about you folks.

gregf

Post by gregf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:55 pm

To be clear by "here" i do not mean just allchile but all social media in general.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm

The one thing I think will change, international tourism.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Yeah, and digital nomad culture as a whole. I have just finished a call with a friend who's an economist who researches digital nomads and gig economy. She's working on a paper on this, but this whole pandemic shows how fragile that ecosystem is.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm

gregf wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm
I'm not quite sure how some of you folks are capable of the mental gymnastics that reduces this crisis to some sort of overblown hoax, or saying its not even as bad as the seasonal flu.

And it isn't just deaths from covid. Its the massive crush of patients on our health care systems, that can't withstand it forever. that comes with treating the folks who get very sick but can recover with hospitalization, oxygen, intubation. That crush results in more and more deaths, covid or otherwise. Without that treatment the death rate will soar higher.

Jesus, just look at Italy and Spain. I'm not saying it is the end of the world, and I do think we'll eventually get through it all and it won't be a decade but it might be 12-18 months before anything seems "totally normal" again. But christ I am so tired of reactionary far right types swinging in here telling everyone its a fucking hoax and overblown and its some sort of democratic hoax to make trump look bad. Irresponsible is the nicest thing I can think to say about you folks.
The coronavirus-denial club:
https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/608926/

I like what this guy said at the end:
“I personally hope that Trump and Bolsonaro get to stand on a stage two months from now and have a big Make Brazil Great Again rally where they mock all the haters and snowflakes for blowing the virus out of proportion,” Winter told me. “Because that will mean we all got through this without tens or hundreds of thousands of deaths. But unfortunately I have my doubts.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Have any forumites been infected yet? Guess not, so far.

If I get it, promise to keep a journal here...for as long as I can :)
(or until get better)
Tempting fate?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Yeah, and digital nomad culture as a whole. I have just finished a call with a friend who's an economist who researches digital nomads and gig economy. She's working on a paper on this, but this whole pandemic shows how fragile that ecosystem is.
yea the "gig" economy just got its trail by fire.

I might actually be inclined to invest in the companies that survive and thrive, if there are any left.

like the personal shopper thing, in all its forms, might do good.

but the likes of ...

uber is toast,

Amazon is literally killing it.

ect.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 am

How does the world change?

The world becomes a lot more prepared, next time there is a friggin virus outbreak in China or wherever, borders will be shut down immediately, citizens wont go on a women's march (or whatever else) with 100s of thousands of other people all together in the midst of a near pandemic, they wont do half ass shut downs in cities and regions, they wont (hopefully) repeat a lot of the mistakes they made this time in helping spread the disease.
They will hopefully be well stocked up with medical and safety supplies, they won't have left their hospitalsand scientists underfunded.
Or maybe they wont and will just repeat all the same mistakes we made this time in another 50 years time .

Hopefully this will apply to individuals and families too, and people wont go crazy at supermarkets and will be prepared.

A lot will change, I would hope
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:32 am

Hopefully more national self-sufficiency in the basics to sustain and maintain life. Nothing wrong with nationalism if used correctly.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Hopefully less globalization and Just-in-Time production for essential goods. But who am I kidding, this would require a cut in profits.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Actions to take against the cuicos and "their" pandemic
Cure the problem by burning the rich.
terrorismo.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge