Shipments into Chile since the protests

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Shipments into Chile since the protests

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm

Amazon order using cheapest slowest shipping. Deprisa was the shipping company and they too hand off to Chilexpress after clearance at SCL.

As this order was above US$30, it required an import fee deposit of US$20.

Order placed November 21st, entered and cleared Aduanas yesterday, received this morning.

Now using a state of the art Level 3 knee brace!
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm
Amazon order using cheapest slowest shipping. Deprisa was the shipping company and they too hand off to Chilexpress after clearance at SCL.

Order placed November 21st, entered and cleared Aduanas yesterday, received this morning.

I saw your post from Nov 21 and wanted to make a comment. There had been a number of times when I ordered something to be sent to my casilla and the company used something other than USPS (or a countries national post) or DHL local service. I don't remember the exact name of the DHL local service, but it is where DHL ships the package to Chile and then puts it into the Correos system. So you can get it delivered to a casilla.

But in those instances where the company sends it via a door to door delivery service, I had to call the delivery company and have them hold it at one of their offices for pickup. I had to do this with Chilexpress, DHL, FedEX, and UPS. Back when Amazon allowed you to choose a delivery service (and also for all the items to be in one shipment), I used DHL since they were the only company at the time that could find my house. But since Amazon uses whatever express shipping service they want now and regularly splits orders into multiple shipments, I find it hard to use them.

Here are the various sub carriers that I have come in contact with.

DHL uses Blue Express a lot to deliver items down here in the Temuco area. Plus they also had their own delivery trucks.

FedEx used to use SkyPostal and TurBus (now Starken), but since they bought TNT cargo, they use TNT for delivery in CHile. A while back I had started seeing the occasional FedEx tractor trailer in the TNT depot which is between where I live and Temuco. Now I see them a lot in the TNT depot parking lot.

UPS has been using Chilexpress in Chile. I have had to call Chilexpress a number of times to hold a package for pickup since they seemed to have forgotten where I live. They delivered fine one time. After that they couldn't find my house, heck they couldn't even get the city correct. Since that one time, I have had to direct them where to send it. So I try not to use them or UPS.

Correos used to have a Casilla Miami service where you could have packages shipped to you in Miami and then they could be delivered to a casilla or a residence since they were put into the correos system when they arrived here in Chile. I used it and it worked well for me. But at the end of June of this year, Correos stopped the service. The freight forwarding company that Correos used was TransExpress. I don't know how many FFs there are in Doral (Miami) Fl, but there are quite a few. Charles knows about that. At the time Correos shut down, they sent out emails saying that an alternative service was in place. Basically I had to sign up with TransExpress. The only problem was that they didn't deliver to a casilla. :(

TransExpress uses WSP Express which only delivers to an address and not a Casilla. I went ahead and signed up to give it a try. Well WSP found me! It is working out well. I don't have a regular street address since I don't live in town. There are a few things that you should read about on the TransExpress.com website if anyone is interested. I guess the one thing is the $5.25 Aduana presentation fee that you are charged. I believe that UPS, DHL, and FedEx also would charge that presentation fee if you shipped something direct to you in Chile. I kind of remembering that FexEx and DHL charged me that fee before. Not sure how Amazon handles that. I haven't used them in a while so I don't know. Maybe someone can verify what they do as far as fees like that. Oh, the fee isn't part of any import charges that customs/aduana might charge you.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 pm

A long time ago, I was stiffed by FEDEX via Starken (then Tur-Bus) with a huge ripoff delivery fee of can't remember $20.000 o $25.000 for a small order from Other World Computing.

So far, I have not received any extra fees for my November Amazon orders besides clearly broken out by Amazon shipping charge and any import deposit delivered by Chilexpress and I will find out about WSP delivery tomorrow.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:47 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 pm
A long time ago, I was stiffed by FEDEX via Starken (then Tur-Bus) with a huge ripoff delivery fee of can't remember $20.000 o $25.000 for a small order from Other World Computing.

So far, I have not received any extra fees for my November Amazon orders besides clearly broken out by Amazon shipping charge and any import deposit delivered by Chilexpress and I will find out about WSP delivery tomorrow.
I kind of remember you saying that in a post. I haven't ordered anything from OWC in a long while. Maybe not as long as you.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm

M: When in the 9th region (2009 - 2014, rural area, 60 km inland from Temuco), any sort of shipment from Amazon was nightmarish, regardless of DHL using Blue Express, UPS using Chilexpress, Correos, or otherwise.

Here in Valpo, not a single problem. The cheapest route these days from Amazon is usually by this trio: LandMark (to Miami) -> SkyPpostal (flight to SCL) -> WSP Express (SCL to Valpo). Some shipments sent the cheapest way are anyway routed purely by DHL (!) -- and are delivered by DHL auto.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:59 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm
M: When in the 9th region (2009 - 2014, rural area, 60 km inland from Temuco), any sort of shipment from Amazon was nightmarish, regardless of DHL using Blue Express, UPS using Chilexpress, Correos, or otherwise.

Here in Valpo, not a single problem. The cheapest route these days from Amazon is usually by this trio: LandMark (to Miami) -> SkyPpostal (flight to SCL) -> WSP Express (SCL to Valpo). Some shipments sent the cheapest way are anyway routed purely by DHL (!) -- and are delivered by DHL auto.
I am 22.5km / 14 miles from Temuco. Not as far as you were from Temuco. Plus I am on a well traveled road to Vilcun. I can understand why you had trouble with shipments.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm

How's your knee doing? Have you noticed anything yet with your treatments? I don't want to get off-topic here, so maybe reply in the other thread?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin