There goes the neighborhood!!! Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: There goes the neighborhood!!! Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Post by admin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:29 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm
I generally do not buy in to blaiming Washington for the ills of latin America, but this one is pretty much has a 'made in America' label.

I park the blame for all this on the white house front lawn; between the trade war, and the war on immigrants, and generally being a moron, Trump has managed to single handily reverse and destabilize 30+ years of progress in Latin America.
Blaming Trump for all the ills of Latin America is like blaming Putin for all the ills of... insert your favourite shithole country here... Was he the one who approved plane-fulls of Haitians entering Chile with identical brown envelopes in hand? Was he the one who decided not to conduct any investigation of this conspiracy here in Chile?
It sure is hell is when Trump puts the global economy in to a tailspin just for his own ego masterbation routine.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:29 pm
at46 wrote:
admin wrote:
I generally do not buy in to blaiming Washington for the ills of latin America, but this one is pretty much has a 'made in America' label.

I park the blame for all this on the white house front lawn; between the trade war, and the war on immigrants, and generally being a moron, Trump has managed to single handily reverse and destabilize 30+ years of progress in Latin America.
Blaming Trump for all the ills of Latin America is like blaming Putin for all the ills of... insert your favourite shithole country here... Was he the one who approved plane-fulls of Haitians entering Chile with identical brown envelopes in hand? Was he the one who decided not to conduct any investigation of this conspiracy here in Chile?
It sure is hell is when Trump puts the global economy in to a tailspin just for his own ego masterbation routine.
Well look for some good Scotch looking for a new home Trump slapped 25% tariffs on in along with wine from Europe, he will be very popular among his 1%er friends....
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:17 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:29 pm
at46 wrote:
admin wrote:

Well look for some good Scotch looking for a new home Trump slapped 25% tariffs on in along with wine from Europe, he will be very popular among his 1%er friends....
He might be trying to hit two birds with one stone - poke the liberal Trader Joe's/Aldi/Lidl fans while trying to put a break on Germany's global ambitions. Let's see, Deutsche Bank, check, Volkswagen, check, and now the biggest German food store chains in the US, check, and, very probably, mate.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 am

There is no evidence for ascribing such a coherent motive to Trump, for anything:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce/599128/

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 pm

He somehow needs to force all that expensive LNG that's coming online in the US onto the EU. These tariffs are just a negotiating tool. Expensive LNG pushes up EU costs making manufacturing businesses look to the US.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:43 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 pm
He somehow needs to force all that expensive LNG that's coming online in the US onto the EU. These tariffs are just a negotiating tool. Expensive LNG pushes up EU costs making manufacturing businesses look to the US.
I got some swamp land in Florida to sell you called "Mar-a-Lago".

:lol:

Is it still "trolling", if I do it on my own forum?

:lol: :lol: :shock:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:35 pm

well, i have to admit I was sort of under appreciating the seriousness of the whole mess in Ecuador, in a 'Just people pissed about paying market price for gas. happens in every country when they cut the subsidies. They will get over it in a few days'.

Elvis, along with the whole government, has left the capital:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/worl ... ident.html

doubt we are going to be seeing a whole lot of those international living articles for a while on 'Ecuador, the greatest expat retirement destination on earth'.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 pm

some video on the protest in Ecuador:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9bSw5vAvms

mem

Post by mem » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:35 pm
well, i have to admit I was sort of under appreciating the seriousness of the whole mess in Ecuador, in a 'Just people pissed about paying market price for gas. happens in every country when they cut the subsidies. They will get over it in a few days'.

Elvis, along with the whole government, has left the capital:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/worl ... ident.html

doubt we are going to be seeing a whole lot of those international living articles for a while on 'Ecuador, the greatest expat retirement destination on earth'.

You weren't the only one.. the couple I mentioned earlier with the Ecuadorean wife and American husband now living in the US have started to panic after being so cavalier...about the wife's family (sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, parents) still there in ecuador.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm

The Ecuadorean expat group in Facebook is in collective freak-out mode, it's a pretty good group, the admin provides a lot of good information and nice photos too :-) but a lot of the members are the typical medical tourist / refugees oops, I mean retirees and wannabe citizens in Cuenca, this is obviously the most exciting thing to hit them in their whole lives (the earthquake back in 2016 was too far away to affect them very much).

I heard the indians are roaming the country looking for the president (who's holed up somewhere in Guayaquil), moving the government out of Quito was a fairly drastic step and doesn't exactly demonstrate confidence in the outcome.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 pm

It's the Macron mistake again.

What you have got to do is have a national debate explaining why you have to increase the fuel price, go on TV and discuss it, commission polls showing 50% of the population support it, offer to pay a portion of the proceeds to children's hospitals or something, and then do it. (I'm guessing Ecuador's President didn't do any of this? If he did, I didn't see any mention of it in the reports.)

Then if people protest you go on TV and say "all polls show that most people supported this, these protestors are anti democratic. the children's hospitals (or whatever) really need this money".

Then you win.

Once the protests start you have a danger of others joining it and protesting about other things, and then you lose control of it, and support might grow.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 pm
It's the Macron mistake again.

What you have got to do is have a national debate explaining why you have to increase the fuel price, go on TV and discuss it, commission polls showing 50% of the population support it, offer to pay a portion of the proceeds to children's hospitals or something, and then do it. (I'm guessing Ecuador's President didn't do any of this? If he did, I didn't see any mention of it in the reports.)

Then if people protest you go on TV and say "all polls show that most people supported this, these protestors are anti democratic. the children's hospitals (or whatever) really need this money".

Then you win.

Once the protests start you have a danger of others joining it and protesting about other things, and then you lose control of it, and support might grow.
The thing is apparantly in this case a lot of middle class do support this wasteful fuel subsidy of over 1.4 billion a year. According to the Economist.
The protestors are on the losing side, unless as you say there are other causes already in there.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile