Argentina Economy, Election, and possible default?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Re: Argentina Economy, Election, and possible default?

Post by nwdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:06 am

at46 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm
However you want to slice that pie, at the end of the day Argentina is spending, and has been spending, way more money than it has; for a very, very long time.
How do you spend money that you don't have? Let a lone for a very long time. Something doesn't add up.

I miss the Argies. Hope Christina works her magic and they come back to spend their summers here like they used to. They deserve a little respite after the years of Macri torture :)
The IMF gives it to them........and has for a very long time, I remember the Austal...
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 am

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:06 am
at46 wrote:
admin wrote:
However you want to slice that pie, at the end of the day Argentina is spending, and has been spending, way more money than it has; for a very, very long time.
How do you spend money that you don't have? Let a lone for a very long time. Something doesn't add up.

I miss the Argies. Hope Christina works her magic and they come back to spend their summers here like they used to. They deserve a little respite after the years of Macri torture :)
The IMF gives it to them........and has for a very long time, I remember the Austal...
Well, if someone gives them the money to spend, it's not like they don't have the money :) It's over a trillion dollar economy though (PPP) - or half a trillion in nominal dollars - the IMF is a midget in comparison.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:35 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 am
nwdiver wrote:
at46 wrote:
admin wrote:

Well, if someone gives them the money to spend, it's not like they don't have the money :) It's over a trillion dollar economy though (PPP) - or half a trillion in nominal dollars - the IMF is a midget in comparison.
Then why do they need the billions from the IMF if they have a real ECONOMY......just asking.
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:52 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:35 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 am
nwdiver wrote:
at46 wrote:
admin wrote:

Then why do they need the billions from the IMF if they have a real ECONOMY......just asking.
Who says they actually need it if it never gets to the real economy? Who benefits from it? Just saying...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm

One of my most useful possessions is an "Industria Argentina" made cast iron enameled plancha bought at the then Mendoza Carrafour that I have used for a decade (and again just last night) allowing me to have that grilled taste in the comfort my apartment rental or when traveling to self-catering lodgings :)
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Assuming "who benefits from it" is a rhetorical question, one theory to consider is that in U.S. and other countries with large economies, after the corrupt politicians and institutions take their "share", enough money remains to maintain society whereas in smaller economies that is not true.

Argentina especially, given it's large land mass and abundant natural resources, should be among the top ten strongest economies of the world.
"Rich as an Argentinian" was once a common and popular saying in the first few decades of the 20th century, sadly since the Peron administration it's not heard anymore.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm
One of my most useful possessions is an "Industria Argentina" made cast iron enameled plancha bought at the then Mendoza Carrafour that I have used for a decade (and again just last night) allowing me to have that grilled taste in the comfort my apartment rental or when traveling to self-catering lodgings :)
I buy maybe 20-30 US bucks worth of Argie beef per month and 40-50 bucks worth of Argie yerba mate. And that's just my little voluntary and eager contribution to their economy. Those are premium product even if most Chileans don't recognize them as such. In some countries they make bets on Argie yerba, like they do on a case of cognac in others :)

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm
Assuming "who benefits from it" is a rhetorical question, one theory to consider is that in U.S. and other countries with large economies, after the corrupt politicians and institutions take their "share", enough money remains to maintain society whereas in smaller economies that is not true.

Argentina especially, given it's large land mass and abundant natural resources, should be among the top ten strongest economies of the world.
"Rich as an Argentinian" was once a common and popular saying in the first few decades of the 20th century, sadly since the Peron administration it's not heard anymore.
Macri was installed to siphon off the IMF money. And he did :) - just look at who he is: son of a businessman who was in construction (read: corruption), and then chief of Buenos Aires government from 2007 to 2015 (read: a whole lot more corruption). Once elected president, the sky opened up above him pouring out a deluge of IMF money while a tsunami of devalued local pesos took him up for a ride of a lifetime.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 pm

at46.......I don't get where this apologist position for the shitty governance that the nieghbours have shown for 70 years comes from, sorry if you based your business on the the nieghbours dropping by, maybe that was not such a great idea....as I have said I've seen 3 currencies over there in 40 years and the only currency that has always mattered to an Argentine is the USD, well maybe now the Euro has some pull......
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:55 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 pm
at46.......I don't get where this apologist position for the shitty governance that the nieghbours have shown for 70 years comes from, sorry if you based your business on the the nieghbours dropping by, maybe that was not such a great idea....as I have said I've seen 3 currencies over there in 40 years and the only currency that has always mattered to an Argentine is the USD, well maybe now the Euro has some pull......
I never did much business with the Argies personally, but they did drop quite a bit of money here on the coast adding some welcome lustre to the local economy.

I don't know why you're so upset about their shitty governance or the number of their currencies. It's not something you can change so what's the point of bitching about it?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 pm

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 am

here is a better version of the link:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1VF0NU

for our part, we have not seen an increase in Argentinans, but we also don't deal with a whole lot of argentinean clients. not our market.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.