Leaving Venezuela

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Leaving Venezuela

Post by admin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:16 pm

yea, the passport problem still applies.

just thinking creatively here.

colombia might be an option. they are issueing a special ID as i understand. not sure if chile is recognizing it, but if not the u.n. passport route might be an option.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:39 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:16 pm

colombia might be an option. they are issueing a special ID as i understand. not sure if chile is recognizing it, but if not the u.n. passport route might be an option.
UN issued passport? How long does it take to be expedited ?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:39 pm
admin wrote:

UN issued passport? How long does it take to be expedited ?
" In case you were wondering, no, the UN cannot help you get a passport. With the exception of the refugee travel document, passports are issued by states. UN staff members receive a light blue laisser-passer denoting their diplomatic status, but this document does not and cannot replace their passport. In the modern world of international travel, the passport occupies the place of a mythic, sacred object, a talisman of incredible power."

There´s no such a thing as..... "UN travel document, get outside the country and show you can't get a national document and presto the UN issues you one....." and saying so is pure nonsense.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
" Confirm your need for a UN passport if you anticipate needing to travel on official UN business or representing a UN organization to other international organizations. A UN certificate may serve in place of a UN passport if you as an employee have to travel on official business before the passport is issued."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

" The UNLP is a valid travel document, which can be used like a national passport (in connection with travel on official missions only). However, UNLP holders often encounter immigration officials who are unfamiliar with the document and require them to show a national passport in addition.[4] As with national passports, some countries/regions accept it for entry without the need for a visa (e.g., Kenya, United Kingdom, Schengen Area, Lebanon, etc.), while other countries may require a visa before it can be accepted for entry to the country (depending on the nationality of the UNLP holder).

Most officials hold a blue UNLP (up to D-1 level), which is similar in legal status to a service passport (however, diplomatic status may be conferred on the holder if the visa issued in the UNLP is a diplomatic visa). A red UNLP is issued to particularly high officials (D-2 and above), and depending on their rank, this may confer diplomatic privileges and the red UNLP may therefore be similar to a diplomatic passport."
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Gloria the UN travel document is real and is issued in these circumstances, in this case it is used one way.......not a passport replacement, that document has to be supported and is issued through the country you are a resident of, when you show the need for travel and cannot get a travel document from your home country.......
It's all about the wine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:12 pm

If that was the case, thousands of people from all over the world in serious situations such as this one or worse would be asking for such a document and the UN would be working overtime.....don't you think? Maybe, just maybe in a war zone going across from one country to another at the border as a refugee. However venezuelans could travel to a neighbor country with a regular ID.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Well, call it whatever you want. It is suppose to get you over a boarder (sometimes).

I met this crazy gringa in Guatemala years ago that renounced her U.S. citizenship, and obtained a U.N. passport. She said it was basically worthless, as she could not travel with it. She could remain in Guatemala, but other countries were refusing to accept it at that time.

Of all the travelling I have done and all the passports we see in our line of work, that is the only person I have encountered with one. We don't handle refugees, but I get hundreds of emails a year from "stateless" people, and have never had one say they have a U.N. passport / travel card. So I could see how not a lot of boarder guards are going to give someone the time of day with one.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:28 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Well, call it whatever you want. It is suppose to get you over a boarder (sometimes).

I met this crazy gringa in Guatemala years ago that renounced her U.S. citizenship, and obtained a U.N. passport. She said it was basically worthless, as she could not travel with it. She could remain in Guatemala, but other countries were refusing to accept it at that time.

Of all the travelling I have done and all the passports we see in our line of work, that is the only person I have encountered with one. We don't handle refugees, but I get hundreds of emails a year from "stateless" people, and have never had one say they have a U.N. passport / travel card. So I could see how not a lot of boarder guards are going to give someone the time of day with one.
Then you are contradicting yourself....................
admin wrote:
..........but if not the u.n. passport route might be an option.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm

yep, because that was the important point for someone with no other options.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 pm

This topic has roused my interest, so I got in touch with some contacts in Colombia to get a feeling about what's currently being done.

In theory, the Venezuelans can move to Chile only if they have a valid Venezuelan passport. My contact has told me that what's being done by the locals that only have their ID is to cross to Colombia through local routes called "trochas". Then they apply for the Colombian special permit for Venezuelans valid for two years. After that they chase after getting a passport. Yes, it's expensive, but in my humble opinion it's better than do it from under Maduro's rule.

Once the family is in Colombia, it might be easier for the family member to visit her family in Colombia.

Of course, this is all very risky. It's a shitty situation and I hope everyone can work out a better solution.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm

RE: UN passports: they don't exist, but there's an UN travel document that's issued for refugees only. I've seen one in loco in Brazil, when I met an Iranian journalist that we a political refugee there. It has two diagonal lines at the top and it's very easy to differentiate from a common passport.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:59 am

colombia is probably the best option.

i believe equador and peru have both moved to requiring a passport also.

i seen a stat the other day that last year something like 280 refugee aplications were filed in little puerto montt, a long way from the peruvian border. all but 2 were rejected, and those are still under review.

as far as i know chile is not recognizing venezuelans and haitens as legit refugies, and treating them as economic migrants instead.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:50 pm

thanks FrankPintor, will send her the link to this post.