Leaving Venezuela

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

hlf2888

Leaving Venezuela

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:53 pm

I have a Venezuelan friend who works as a doctor here in Chile. She was able to get out of Venezuela but now cannot get her family out. The passport offices are closed or non-functioning and passports are required for them to legally enter Chile. Does anyone have any leads to reuniting this family?

Gloria

Re: Leaving Venezuela

Post by Gloria » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Almost impossible w/o a passport. Where's she right now, Santiago? The high number of venezuelan are concentrated there. Tell her to look for a group in Facebook, someone may have an idea of how to resolve this situation.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:53 pm

If they had valid passports they would be able to extend them past the 5 year validity period with a stamp either in Venezuela or at a Venezuelan consulate outside. For a new passport I’m told the going rate is $2500, paid under the table to get the document quickly. The other thing to consider is that Chile is charging about $1000 for the cynically named “visa of democracy responsibility “ had it can only be obtained in Venezuela, it’s not possible to change the migratory status in Chile. Oh, and at the Chilean border at Arica they’re now demanding to see $500 in cash before letting Venezuelans enter (even if they have an onward ticket). The one-way bus from
Caracas to Santiago would be about $400 I think.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm

yea, the horrible truth is, hope maduro goes sooner rather than later.

without documents, they are essentialy stateless outside of Venezuela and she realy has no way to prove they are her children if she can not get documents authenticated.

perhaps, and this is a stretch, that with authenticated birth certificates at the chilean consulate in Venezuela she might be able to finagle a refugie status or family of a resident of chile.

the problem is, the passport requirement is hard coded in the chilean immigration law. it all assumes people come from somewhere with a functioning goverment.

one other long shot, might be to see if the "new" Venezuelan goverment embassy officials in chile are willing to issue some sort of document. chile did officialy recognize them afterall as the legit government. that all strikes me as far too early though for them to be that organized.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 pm

thanks Gloria, she lives in the 7th region. Thanks admin and Frank, will send her the link to this page.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 am

UN travel document, get outside the country and show you can't get a national document and presto the UN issues you one.....
It's all about the wine.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 pm

very interesting nwdiver thanks

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Many Chilean understand the system.......it was used by many in the past......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:37 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 am
UN travel document, get outside the country and show you can't get a national document and presto the UN issues you one.....
i was think the same thing. ran it past my wife. the problem is we are talking about children. you have to show authenticated ownership papers / birth certificates (hague convention), in adition to other documents, etc. assuming here that getting copies of birth certificates are authenticatiable in Venezuela at all. perhsps a bit easier, than getting a passport; but, passport is still required for children. yea, it is sort of a vicious beucratic circle.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

almost forgot. can she show travel authorization or legal custody?

there is whole diffrent legal mess.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 pm

She wants to get her mother, father and sister out. No children.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Getting the family to Chile seems to be fairly difficult. Maybe a more reasonable objective would be to get them somewhere safe. If they don’t have even expired passports, then I understand that they can travel to Brazil (Boa Vista or Manaus) with only an ID card and then on to Argentina. The airline (most probably Avior) would require a yellow fever vaccination certificate. You can pick up a lot of information in Instagram, there are a few expat groups around. They should be sure to get police certificates (antecedentes) in Venezuela, as well as getting anything useful like degrees or diplomas apostilles (about $100 per document now I understand).
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!