Looking for a doctor specializing in multiple sclerosis

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Looking for a doctor specializing in multiple sclerosis

Post by Space Cat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

A friend just got diagnosed with lesions in the nerve tissue, so I'd really appreciate doctor recommendations anywhere in the country. Thank you.

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Looking for a doctor specializing in multiple sclerosis

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm
A friend just got diagnosed with lesions in the nerve tissue, so I'd really appreciate doctor recommendations anywhere in the country. Thank you.
I don't know any specific doctors, but it could be a vitamin b12 deficiency (and/or b9). It's very common, and very easily treated, if you don't wait too long. Do you know what any of your friend's symptoms are? For example, do any symptoms occur when he/she bends her head forward? And is your friend originally from Chile? Or from another country like the US, where certain vitamins are added to food, that aren't added in Chile?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm
Space Cat wrote:
I don't know any specific doctors, but it could be a vitamin b12 deficiency (and/or b9). It's very common, and very easily treated, if you don't wait too long. Do you know what any of your friend's symptoms are? For example, do any symptoms occur when he/she bends her head forward? And is your friend originally from Chile? Or from another country like the US, where certain vitamins are added to food, that aren't added in Chile?
There are both vitamin deficiency, head-bending issues, and also body numbing issues. Basically she needs a doctor to confirm or rule out the MS as soon as possible. She is Chilean, yes.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I have a friend whose husband has MS. He sees Doctor Barahona in the Clinica Alemana in Santiago. Any good neurologist should be able to determine if it is MS or not.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm
Space Cat wrote:
There are both vitamin deficiency, head-bending issues, and also body numbing issues. Basically she needs a doctor to confirm or rule out the MS as soon as possible. She is Chilean, yes.
You may already know all this, but I'll write it here in case you don't:

The head-bending issue is probably "Lhermitte's sign":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte's_sign

And if that's the case, I think the 2 most likely possibilities are "subacute combined degeneration of the spinal chord" because of B12 deficiency:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subacute_ ... pinal_cord

Or MS.

I know this, because I went through it 3 or 4 years ago. I ruled out MS. And B12 deficiency made perfect sense. So I followed the protocols on this site (they may have changed a bit since then), and gave myself B12 injections:
http://www.b12d.org/

There's also a very good diagnostic questionaire on that site, that's worth doing.

I used "TOL 12 Forte", which also includes some B6 and B1. Then eventually switched to the oral version. They're available at most pharmacies around here, so probably anywhere in Chile. They have hydroxocobalamine, which is generally considered better than the cheaper cyanocobalamine. Some people like methylcobalamine. But you really need to research the differences, to know which will work in your friend's situation. Or if you can find a doctor who's familiar with this (some are, some aren't), which sounds like what you're trying to do, that might be a better idea. I decided to do it myself, because I was sure what the problem was, and what caused it. And I thought it was riskier to delay treatment, while trying to figure out how the health system worked here (and then find the right doctor). I don't recommend doing it yourself, unless you're absolutely certain you know what you're doing, and can't find a good doctor. A good nutritionist would also be helpful.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm
I have a friend whose husband has MS. He sees Doctor Barahona in the Clinica Alemana in Santiago. Any good neurologist should be able to determine if it is MS or not.
Thanks a lot for the tip!
Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm
Any good neurologist should be able to determine if it is MS or not.
Yes, but we are in Valdivia which is often short on doctors of some kinds. For example, going to an ophthalmologist here takes almost 2 months because of the queues.

Also, getting a recommendation for a good one is always better. 😌
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm
You may already know all this, but I'll write it here in case you don't
Thank you, no idea in general, I'll pass the info to her. I know she is diagnosed with vitamin deficiency, including D3 and B12.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm
Thank you, no idea in general, I'll pass the info to her. I know she is diagnosed with vitamin deficiency, including D3 and B12.
Fixing the B12 issue soon is very important, before there's permanent scarring. In my case it wasn't difficult or expensive. It worked. And it fixed some other problems I had my whole life, that I didn't even know were related. I also read about a doctor who had MS, who cured it herself with B12 injections. If I can find a link, I'll post it. I think she wrote a book. Let me know if your friend has any questions, and I'll tell her what I know.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
Fixing the B12 issue soon is very important, before there's permanent scarring. In my case it wasn't difficult or expensive. It worked. And it fixed some other problems I had my whole life, that I didn't even know were related. I also read about a doctor who had MS, who cured it herself with B12 injections. If I can find a link, I'll post it. I think she wrote a book. Let me know if your friend has any questions, and I'll tell her what I know.
Thanks again, passed the info about the urgency. She got the news basically in the last two weeks and, crap, it's February now and half the country is on vacation.

My landlord's uncle died in the 80s in Februrary from some kind of sepsis because almost all the experienced doctors around Puerto Varas were absent.

passport

Post by passport » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Had a question about finding a quality rheumatologist in PV many years ago.
I checked with the American Rheumatology Association for Chilean medical doctors who are members. There were a few and I contacted them. You can do the same thing for the American Neurological Association. Any Chilean
Doctor who makes the effort to belong should be well versed in current standards of diagnosis and treatment, as well as relevant research in progress.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 pm

It is true about the doctors being off on holiday this month. I always think the saying should be "sobreviví febrero" not "sobreviví agosto"!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
Thanks again, passed the info about the urgency. She got the news basically in the last two weeks and, crap, it's February now and half the country is on vacation.

My landlord's uncle died in the 80s in Februrary from some kind of sepsis because almost all the experienced doctors around Puerto Varas were absent.
Do you know what might have caused the B12 deficiency? I was a vegetarian, and didn't take supplements. So it was inevitable for me. Some people get enough B12 in their diet, but don't absorb it for some reason. One possibility is long-term use of acid-inhibiting medication, like Prilosec and some others. Nitrous oxide from the dentist can also affect some people.