Venezuela crisis

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2959
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by nwdiver » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:00 pm
It was Ruso air defense systems that thwarted the neocon war thirsty push in Syria, and perhaps it will here too. Popcorn time people.
Rhetoric and emotion aside, Venezuela has had their own S-300s deployed around Ríos airbase for over six years, so not much has changed. And we’ve seen the spectacular results of Russian mercs and proxies use of lesser systems in Crimea and Syria (MH17, Il-20). Russia has not allowed any use of their S-300s in Syria, so it follows that the uniformed troops are in Vz to maintain control of the launchers and probably some other stuff as well. It's not difficult to imagine a Venezuelan (Cuban) general* negligently pulling the trigger on an American surveillance plane or airliner over the Caribbean, prompting an actual full scale military response.

Which is more likely: that Russia is winding down its relationship with the Chavistas in order to salvage their investments in Vz, or that they eagerly prop-up Maduro, a liability who has no ability to pay? Maduro has nothing to offer.

Considering how hard-left and anti-US every politician in Vz is, the Russians must easily assume that they will continue to do business there. And they need to negotiate with the same AN that declared most of their loans illegal. Anything that appears as support for Maduro is just bad theater and posturing.

*With over 3000 generals, many have some rather menial assignments. Remember the one placed in charge of toilet paper? =)
Yes I agree, the Russians have nothing to gain from supporting a lame duck, they probably don't know where Maduro stashed the money they lent the country......it certainly didn't go into infrastructure.........they will hang around to make claims from the new government........but of course the new government will 0 the clock and not pay any of the loans taken out by the Chavistas.......poor Russia and China, you would think by now they would understand what a bad borrower looks like......
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 561
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:58 pm

:wink:
admin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:34 am
what would it take for chile's military, with the backing of most of the chilean public, to use the military in an offemsive capacity?

Offensive? It would take a hell of a lot, I dont even think Chile has ever gone on the offensive, it's always been provocationfrom others hasnt it?. Defensive? Yes for sure The same as in the past if one of the neighbors that border them directly tried to lay a claim to Chiles territory, Argentina, Peru, or Bolivia other than that can't really see any other scenario.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:38 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm
AnciaVagar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:00 pm
It was Ruso air defense systems that thwarted the neocon war thirsty push in Syria, and perhaps it will here too. Popcorn time people.
Rhetoric and emotion aside, Venezuela has had their own S-300s deployed around Ríos airbase for over six years, so not much has changed. And we’ve seen the spectacular results of Russian mercs and proxies use of lesser systems in Crimea and Syria (MH17, Il-20). Russia has not allowed any use of their S-300s in Syria, so it follows that the uniformed troops are in Vz to maintain control of the launchers and probably some other stuff as well. It's not difficult to imagine a Venezuelan (Cuban) general* negligently pulling the trigger on an American surveillance plane or airliner over the Caribbean, prompting an actual full scale military response.

Which is more likely: that Russia is winding down its relationship with the Chavistas in order to salvage their investments in Vz, or that they eagerly prop-up Maduro, a liability who has no ability to pay? Maduro has nothing to offer.

Considering how hard-left and anti-US every politician in Vz is, the Russians must easily assume that they will continue to do business there. And they need to negotiate with the same AN that declared most of their loans illegal. Anything that appears as support for Maduro is just bad theater and posturing.

*With over 3000 generals, many have some rather menial assignments. Remember the one placed in charge of toilet paper? =)
Yes I agree, the Russians have nothing to gain from supporting a lame duck, they probably don't know where Maduro stashed the money they lent the country......it certainly didn't go into infrastructure.........they will hang around to make claims from the new government........but of course the new government will 0 the clock and not pay any of the loans taken out by the Chavistas.......poor Russia and China, you would think by now they would understand what a bad borrower looks like......
Maduro paid a few billion to the nationalized US oil companies as recently as September last year, from what I remember. One of the beneficiaries was Exxon/Mobil (think about that for a second). They're not getting paid now, but only because of the US politics, not because Maduro was/is not willing to pay them. And, surprise, surprise, he continues to pay both Russia and China. Moreover, the prices they're getting are way, way lower than what they would have been getting without this artificial crisis. Talk about Trump's payback to Putin for all his support :) In any case, Russia's oil exports are 275 mln USD per day. It has a stellar fiscal position. For example, it has accumulated reserves greater than all of its government and private debt combined. A few billion spent on a good, even if speculative, cause here and there is really, really small change.

The bushists in Trump's administration want a re-issue of the Monroe doctrine, but who's gonna let them? lol That boat has long gone. Pompeo's 500 mln USD for support of anti-Venezuelan NGOs will go down well to buy up New York and California latino voters in two years' time, since the young 'principled' dems cannot be bought.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Anyway, America is going back to the Moon in five years, not to war in Venezuela :) Good luck with that, eh? I guess it's better than bombing Yugoslavia or doing the Lewinsky scandal to distract the American public from all the internal problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxvFsqevSdw

AnciaVagar
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by AnciaVagar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm

El Helicoide is burning; SEBIN destroying evidence.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm
El Helicoide is burning; SEBIN destroying evidence.
Gesundheit!

AnciaVagar
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by AnciaVagar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:33 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm
AnciaVagar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm
El Helicoide is burning; SEBIN destroying evidence.
Gesundheit!
The political prisoners trapped in their cells are not laughing.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:33 pm
at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm
AnciaVagar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm
El Helicoide is burning; SEBIN destroying evidence.
Gesundheit!
The political prisoners trapped in their cells are not laughing.
I'm trying to see things from your perspective, but I just can't get my head that far up my ass.

AnciaVagar
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by AnciaVagar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 pm
I'm trying to see things from your perspective, but I just can't get my head that far up my ass.
One year anniversary of the burning death of sixty-eight political prisoners in a prison in Valencia.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 pm
at46 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 pm
I'm trying to see things from your perspective, but I just can't get my head that far up my ass.
One year anniversary of the burning death of sixty-eight political prisoners in a prison in Valencia.
Oops, sorry, got distracted. So here's more great comebacks if you wanna expand your repertoire. https://thoughtcatalog.com/melanie-berl ... -a-genius/

Julito
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Villarrica

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by Julito » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 pm

Venezuela UN Ambassodor´s take on things...

http://thesaker.is/the-saker-interviews ... venezuela/

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17471
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by admin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 pm

I don't think it is an accident that magical realism and magical socialism, pretty much function the same way in latin America.

A history of hydroelectric projects in Venezuela:
https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2019/ ... ro-system/
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply