Venezuela crisis

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm
Location: Talagante area, Chile
Contact:

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by Britkid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm

One of the things that I find interesting about this is how much, much higher the interest in Chile is compared to is a similar situation was happening in say Russia or Zambia or Thailand.

I don't think the fact that Venezuela is closer in geographic distance to those places, or that the fact that the situation will lead to more immigration to Chile, can fully explain it. Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama are the same distance from Chile as Venezuela, and no-one here would care as much if there was a similar situation there.

There appears to be a "fellow South America" country thing that doesn't apply to Central American or the Caribbean.

I also noticed in the 2018 world cup that all the matches of fellow South American countries were shown on the main TV channels and talked far more about in the press, and by people I met, than matches with no South American countries.

As a general rule, Chileans don't have an intellectual interest in anything that won't affect them much. But, this has been the exception to the rule and I suspect it would be the same if something major happened in Colombia or Ecuador.

bow26
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Top of a hill, Mantagua, V Region.

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by bow26 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I think people can also relate to it because they draw comparisons about what happened in the Allende then Pinochet years, and there are plenty of opinionated posts flying around my Facebook about US involvement in this or the “I can remember all the queueing I had to do in the Allende years” type posts.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm
One of the things that I find interesting about this is how much, much higher the interest in Chile is compared to is a similar situation was happening in say Russia or Zambia or Thailand.
288K Venezuelan immigrants currently living in Chile are in a lot of Chileans' FB circles now. And since there's nothing interesting going on in Chile right now, sure, they'll take a look at whatever those Venezuelans are posting.

Secondly, and more importantly, the US is the second biggest trading partner of Chile. And, given how uncomfortable Pinera looked standing next to the Venezuelan pretty boy during that press-conference, I think he just didn't have a choice but to be there, even if only for greater body count.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21833
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 am

seems a couple free Molotov cocktails beat an expensive 50 caliber round, and was more effective at stopping the trucks.

what comes next, not very pretty.

as for the interest in chile, this has been turned in to a left vs. right political bla, bla, bla, and mostly by the left that is trying to cover their asses after all these years of supporting maduro, chavez, and castro.

pinera vs. bachelete

udi vs. communist / socialist party

allende vs. Pinochet

take your pick

however, a recent poll showed a 70% support for what pinera is doing with venezuela, and that is exactly why their heads are exploding on the left. it is a clear indicator, cutting deep in to their base, that the old school socialist bullshit is reaching it's end in chile.

the left have even gone so far as to try and block pinera via congress from even getting involved in foriegn affairs; in some sort of last ditch attempt to protect maduro. none of those morons spoke up about bachelet's foriegn affair policies or trips. oh, that's right. she was off flirting with castro and maduro, and doing photo ops to praise them.

too late you wankers.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by 41southchile » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:46 pm

So does anyone have a good reason or explanation as to why Piñera felt the urgent need to go to Cúcuta ? Was it just part of his payaso style of leadership where he feels the need to be seen in the right places.
The lightning trip to Araucania the day before he went was also quite pathetic. 1 year in and Piñera just doesn't seem to be doing it for me , the opposition eventually will land some hits , theyve certainly had enough to practice on the last few months, hes like a bumbling old fool sometimes rather than a presidential leader, but that's no surprise that's his style, after his first term it was pretty clear what he was like.
Sure him and his crew are better than the last lot, but Chile still haven't found what they are looking for in political leaders (and I wonder if they ever will, they like to moan and complain, but election participation rates are only around 40 percent, ) .
Things will just coast along rather than any great transformations in the medium future here .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 pm
they lit the first trucks to cross on fire
Apparently, it's the opposition themselves who lit the truck on the Colombian side, in frustration of not being able to cross and to create the 'right' TV visual.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:46 pm
So does anyone have a good reason or explanation as to why Piñera felt the urgent need to go to Cúcuta ?
Hedging his bets in case the next US president is a Dem.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21833
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 pm
they lit the first trucks to cross on fire
Apparently, it's the opposition themselves who lit the truck on the Colombian side, in frustration of not being able to cross and to create the 'right' TV visual.
ok, show me the footage. there were only thousands of cameras in the area.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:23 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm
at46 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:02 pm
they lit the first trucks to cross on fire
Apparently, it's the opposition themselves who lit the truck on the Colombian side, in frustration of not being able to cross and to create the 'right' TV visual.
ok, show me the footage. there were only thousands of cameras in the area.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Hb7YiWoAA0wLw.jpg
https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1099415428496011264

AnciaVagar
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by AnciaVagar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 pm

I seen it on twit, now I'm so convinced.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by at46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:59 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 pm
I seen it on twit, now I'm so convinced.
Did you see a tweet showing the trucks burning on the Venezuelan side? If not, what's your point?

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8162
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Venezuela crisis

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:49 pm

So can anyone contradict the Twit and other posts of whodunnit Molotov aid truck firebombings? The Chile press and other MSM seem to have gone quiet on this.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Post Reply