Big Brother is coming

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16823
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 am

i was checking out of SCL in route to europe a while back.

my passport was flagged with an interpol arrest warrent. Lucky for me the photo that popped up in the system was a 300 pound, 60 year old guy from uruguy. The girl at pdi cleared the error with a, "that is definetly not you".

what spooks me about those situtions, is what happens when the photos are sufficuently close that they do detain you until you prove who you are (there goes that super expensive trip to europe).

obviously in my case it probably would have not gone very far. my wife was standing next to me with half the attorneys in chile on speed dial, including a few that run the PDI. but for most anyone else it is off to legal and financial hell of trying to prove it is not them.

the parniod computer geek was thinking about it a bit too much after. i realized that if you wanted to track a particular person's movements without raising too much suspicion, you could just associate a passpprt of someone with a wrong detention warrent in the interpol system. when they cleared the error in the system any where in the world, that would probably be logged and notified to whomever set the flag in the first place for review and revision.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by mem » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:27 am

admin wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 am
i was checking out of SCL in route to europe a while back.

my passport was flagged with an interpol arrest warrent. Lucky for me the photo that popped up in the system was a 300 pound, 60 year old guy from uruguy. The girl at pdi cleared the error with a, "that is definetly not you".

what spooks me about those situtions, is what happens when the photos are sufficuently close that they do detain you until you prove who you are (there goes that super expensive trip to europe).

obviously in my case it probably would have not gone very far. my wife was standing next to me with half the attorneys in chile on speed dial, including a few that run the PDI. but for most anyone else it is off to legal and financial hell of trying to prove it is not them.

the parniod computer geek was thinking about it a bit too much after. i realized that if you wanted to track a particular person's movements without raising too much suspicion, you could just associate a passpprt of someone with a wrong detention warrent in the interpol system. when they cleared the error in the system any where in the world, that would probably be logged and notified to whomever set the flag in the first place for review and revision.
How could it have been flagged other than by name? The fat guy has the same name as what is on your passport? Obviously the pictures were not a match. Doubt it's the same passport number between your and the uruguayan passport. Yeah very strange indeed. I know I'd be terrified if I even heard the word Interpol in connection with a passport control visit. "No drogas! no bombas! soy inocente!"
I've probably been watching too much "Locked up abroad" on YouTube. They did have an interesting episode where a guy escaped from a Chilean prison a few decades back

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:03 pm

And still on-topic:

China blacklists millions of people from booking flights as 'social credit' system introduced
Officials say aim is to make it ‘difficult to move’ for those deemed ‘untrustworthy’


Quis custodiet..
Après moi, le déluge

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by at46 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:03 pm
And still on-topic:

China blacklists millions of people from booking flights as 'social credit' system introduced
Officials say aim is to make it ‘difficult to move’ for those deemed ‘untrustworthy’


Quis custodiet..
If they don't tell you just how many millions are blacklisted, it's safe to say it's just the usual MSM sensationalism. Even if it is 13.860 million, that's just 1% of a population of 1.386 bn (hope I got that right). In any case, qu'ils mangent de la brioche, i.e. they can ride the bullet trains instead.

I often wondered why so few planes over China at any one time before it dawned on me that it's the bullet trains that kill air traffic.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:55 am

at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
If they don't tell you just how many millions are blacklisted, it's safe to say it's just the usual MSM sensationalism.
But they do....so whatever "MSM sensationalism" is, its probably not "safe to assume" its existence. Just read the article.
The Independent wrote:According to the state-run news outlet Global Times, as of May this year, the government had blocked 11.14 million people from flights and 4.25 million from taking high-speed train trips.
Then:
at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
Even if it is 13.860 million, that's just 1% of a population of 1.386 bn (hope I got that right).
I take it that 13,860,000 figure is something you just tossed in, its not in the source article
.
at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
In any case, qu'ils mangent de la brioche, i.e. they can ride the bullet trains instead.

No, no cake either. Once again, the same quote:
The Independent wrote:According to the state-run news outlet Global Times, as of May this year, the government had blocked 11.14 million people from flights and 4.25 million from taking high-speed train trips.
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by 41southchile » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:13 am

So the news in NZ at the moment is that the US is trying to pressure NZ (and other allies) to stop Huawei installing any of their equipment in the 5 G rollouts, Australia has stopped them, NZ still evaluating and hasn't taken a stand the UK thinks they are ok and has supposedly vetted them, mm some interesting times ahead.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/22/us-gove ... pment.html
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16823
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by admin » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:36 am

it is not even theoretical. i have seen the backdoor in the wild. in chile.

those huawei routers i just assume they are all backdoored, and firewall filter their communication. i was brought one by entel for a fiber optic install. took 2 mins of googling to get all the low down on that models hard wired back door to a hong kong company address. even if you hard reset them to wipe them to factory default that address is in the chip. someone went through a lot of trouble to insure they could communicate with that router no matter what. of course the moron installers fro. entel had no idea what i was talking about.

my theory is the chinese are building those backdoors in to their hard ware for domestic control, but it also gives them the ability to literaly pull the plug on the internet if they ever got in to a conflict. chile and everyone else would just be collateral damage.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:50 am

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:36 am
it is not even theoretical. i have seen the backdoor in the wild. in chile.

those huawei routers i just assume they are all backdoored, and firewall filter their communication. i was brought one by entel for a fiber optic install. took 2 mins of googling to get all the low down on that models hard wired back door to a hong kong company address. even if you hard reset them to wipe them to factory default that address is in the chip. someone went through a lot of trouble to insure they could communicate with that router no matter what. of course the moron installers fro. entel had no idea what i was talking about.

my theory is the chinese are building those backdoors in to their hard ware for domestic control, but it also gives them the ability to literaly pull the plug on the internet if they ever got in to a conflict. chile and everyone else would just be collateral damage.
Sounds like a repeat of the Mutually Assured Destruction thing for the online era. Makes me wonder if this is the actual reason the Chinese are doing it - their own survival - and not to find out anyone's shopping or <banned word> preferences.

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:54 am

I must admit my last post was an attempt to reply in the way a Bot might do it, although catching the elliptical Marie Antoinette reference would probably be a bit of a stretch for it, as it is for most wetware agents including perhaps even the OP.

It was written that way after reading this piece in the current Atlantic magazine. Highly recommended read.

Big Sister is listening as well, and this technology is being swallowed wholesale by the same people who prefer their social interactions to go through a cellphone screen.
Alexa’s Most Dangerous Feature Can’t Be Undone.jpg
As for Huawei FO routers, nothing new there. My original ASDSL router had a hardwired Movistar connection as well till I reflashed the firmware.
And of course that's what https webpages are for, if its privacy you're worried about. End to end encryption! And there are always VPNs.
Après moi, le déluge

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 am

And that shiny new technology sometimes goes wrong.
.
Screenshot-2018-11-23 SMARTHUS Det enkle er ofte det beste REMA 1000 - YouTube.png
Après moi, le déluge

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by at46 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:54 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:55 am
at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
If they don't tell you just how many millions are blacklisted, it's safe to say it's just the usual MSM sensationalism.
But they do....so whatever "MSM sensationalism" is, its probably not "safe to assume" its existence. Just read the article.
The Independent wrote:According to the state-run news outlet Global Times, as of May this year, the government had blocked 11.14 million people from flights and 4.25 million from taking high-speed train trips.
Then:
at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
Even if it is 13.860 million, that's just 1% of a population of 1.386 bn (hope I got that right).
I take it that 13,860,000 figure is something you just tossed in, its not in the source article
.
at46 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:15 pm
In any case, qu'ils mangent de la brioche, i.e. they can ride the bullet trains instead.

No, no cake either. Once again, the same quote:
The Independent wrote:According to the state-run news outlet Global Times, as of May this year, the government had blocked 11.14 million people from flights and 4.25 million from taking high-speed train trips.
I love your response, although it reminded me of someone else on the forum, and hence made my own writing seem like someone else's :)

The timing of your Atlantic article right at the start of the Christmas shopping madness is pretty telling. And the Jewish author calling this thing omni-this and omni-that is a bit too much for my taste. NLP apparently can codify the structure inherent to any complex human activity, and from that codification, the structure and its activity can be forced upon others. I think that's pretty much all there is to Alexa et al.

41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Big Brother is coming

Post by 41southchile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Well NZ has drawn a line in the sand too, no to Huawei

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/busi ... uinea.html
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Post Reply