Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

manivel43

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by manivel43 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Any supporters for Toyota Rav4 ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm

manivel43 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Big thumbs up on the rav4.

Only problem is they seem to be forgetting the 4, in the rav4 recently. Lot of them are 2 wheel drive, and super low to the ground.. It use to have a lot of off road / campo cred as a sort of mini fj or cross over that was still kind of fun on the weekends.

Now they are getting way too domesticated for my taste.

Frigen milenials ruined a lot of good vehical legacies. That is not just a toyata problem though. Too many mall crawlen urban dwellers, that want to look all off road but freak out at the first sign of a dirt road.

My brother bought a nissian suv (how i ended up with his FJ cruiser), due to a baby. The wife wanted something very domesticated for hauling the kid around. In theory it is 4x4, but you can not even put real tire chains on it. Instead they have like these paper covers that my brother refers to as "tire condoms'. Everytime we drive up the mountain to go ski, i can just feal my brother's thoughts 'soccer mom piece of crap'. It does the trip just fine, but no where near as fun as a real 4x4 something, even though it has all sort of buttins that imply it is a 4x4.

The jeeps (perhaps the raptors), at the moment, seem to be the only thing built with any sort off road cred from the factory, but they have notorious reliability issues. So i would not want to take one too far from civilization without something to tow them home with. I would not for instance want to get caught in the patagonia trying to find parts for a jeep or a ford raptor. You midus well be driving a lambo or ferrari as far as rarity of parts go down there.

Guess that is all irrelevant, if you spend most if your time idling in satiago traffic. In which case any front wheel drive, compact car is probably overkill.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

manivel43 wrote:
As a guy who owned a lot of Toyota transportation devices in my life, I'd give this intimate piece of advice to anyone considering it: get yourself a good German-made men's multivitamin first and start taking it on a daily basis. I promise you, in about two weeks time you'll be cringing at yourself thinking you actually ever wanted to buy that sowing machine :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am

at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm
manivel43 wrote:
As a guy who owned a lot of Toyota transportation devices in my life, I'd give this intimate piece of advice to anyone considering it: get yourself a good German-made men's multivitamin first and start taking it on a daily basis. I promise you, in about two weeks time you'll be cringing at yourself thinking you actually ever wanted to buy that sowing machine :lol:
You need to add a little more of a clear description / critism than that.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am
at46 wrote:
manivel43 wrote:
Rav4 doesn't track well, is not made for tall people, and has this drab stubborn design that's completely devoid of smile and character. Compare it with the Peugeot 3008 stunner, for example. Toyotas are perfect taxi cars, but I like giving beautiful proper names to my cars :) Nothing I came up with for a Toyota ever stuck. I have respect for them, mixed with a lot of frustration, but no love.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:36 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm
admin wrote:
at46 wrote:
manivel43 wrote:
Rav4 doesn't track well, is not made for tall people, and has this drab stubborn design that's completely devoid of smile and character. Compare it with the Peugeot 3008 stunner, for example. Toyotas are perfect taxi cars, but I like giving beautiful proper names to my cars :) Nothing I came up with for a Toyota ever stuck. I have respect for them, mixed with a lot of frustration, but no love.
For people with excess cash, don't stay with the Toyota el-cheapo-affordable to anyone brand, get the rich people's glorified brand the Lexus marque. But still if you burn a head lamp filament on the Lexus, don't fork over $10 bucks for it but instead seek the Toyota branded ones for much cheaper $4 bucks, 'cause they are made to work for both brands!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:36 pm
at46 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm
admin wrote:
at46 wrote:
manivel43 wrote:
For people with excess cash, don't stay with the Toyota el-cheapo-affordable to anyone brand, get the rich people's glorified brand the Lexus marque. But still if you burn a head lamp filament on the Lexus, don't fork over $10 bucks for it but instead seek the Toyota branded ones for much cheaper $4 bucks, 'cause they are made to work for both brands!
Ah yes, if only they had diesel models. I had a 2006 RD and it was incredibly reliable and comfortable to drive

mem

Post by mem » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:56 pm

I finally did it. Got my tourist rut/erut printed at SII so I didn't have to worry about my expired Carnet. Took the bus up to Santiago and bought a 2008 mercedes ML320cdi for 12mil flat. I intended to pay for 7mil of it with my amex and the remainder with a combination of cash and bank transfer. However that didn't work out , thought it could/should have. The seller was a wealthy elderly man living in los condes. He used to be a citroen dealer for 25 years and now has 32 cars for sale privately. The car was bought originally at Kaufman Mercedes in Santiago and has been serviced there since new had the full maintenance record and we even went to Kauffman in Santiago and had the maintenance record authenticated. Had all the warranty work done there and I will continue to service it at Kauffman in temuco. The only reason putting a portion on my amex so I could pivot it to a 0% balance transfer didn't work was a comedy of errors. He had the ability to take credit cards via a transttauto app that was run through transbank on his home pc, but when we tried to charge the card for 7mil they weren't even trying to hit amex with it. I called amex and they said we don't even see an attempt. We called transttauto and they thought it was because they wouldn't handle the clp to us currency transition. So the seller says, I got a buddy at a Suzuki dealer, let's go there and swipe/charge the card there, then they can give me the cash, so we go there and they won't do it because they are sticklers. Then the seller says I got a another buddy that has a Renault dealership let's go there. So we go there and it still does not work, and I assume cause it is still transbank. So I end up paying for the car with 12mil cash...we get back to the sellers house which is an absolutely ridiculous large apartment mansion in Los condes I mean ridiculous...never seen such a massive apartment in Los condes, it must have been 400sqm. He owned it and rented another apartment a couple floors down for income. While I'm there (he let's me hang out there so I can get online and work for my us based job as this whole thing took all morning and I had to start working. I seen an email from amex saying fraud alert for 7mil pesos at Renault santiago!! It would have worked! If I had known it was just denied for the fraud alert (in spite of me calling amex multiple times preemptively to make sure a large charge would be allowed) but by that time I had already paid in cash, but I could have called amex at Renault and got it allowed if I had been a bit more vigilant. Then the sellers wife insisted and I mean literally insisted against my protest on making me lunch. Which was delicious. So anyway drove it back to region 9 that night and it's great. Got my other car in the shop in prep for revision technica.
I came super close to getting a Hyundai Santa fe or Kia sorrento diesel automatic, but carcomplaints.com reported these vehicle acceleration surge problems that warded me off. Also came super close to getting a Lexus RX 350 or 450h, but they have the same problem!. We had a 2006 RX in the us that supposedly had the same issue and when I asked my wife of she remembered that uncontrolled surge thing happening she was like Oh yeah I remember that happening a few times! I don't want my family driving around with a vehicle with those issues. At any rate, wife is happy.. diesel automatic and the mileage is insane. She can't believe how great the mileage is. We can make 40+ 25km round trips to town on a full tank of diesel.

Hope it stays rosy ; ) I realise the maintenance will cost more but at least I know my wife and kids have a reliable safe vehicle. If its beyond the pale I can always resell it down here. Most of the mercedes are sold in Santiago so getting it down here already it should be easy to resell for near to what I paid.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Moral of the story....happy wife, happy life!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

223D0E40-C4CF-48D1-9AD2-B10610F6EFB2.jpeg
Couldn’t resist.
Gloria wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm
Yeah, for the time being though. Wait till mem's ML350 needing complete four wheel brake job. After mem paying for the brake job, no more fancy going out for nice Dinners with his wife on hold till recouping from such a big expenses! Beside that, mem congrats in you getting that MB! Sorry couldn't resist....No offense intended despite...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Congratulations! Well done. One solid vehicle there. Oh, and the engine sound? You can record it and play on loop for white noise at your place of work to keep a smile on :)