Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Gloria » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:48 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:07 pm
:D
Gloria wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm
Moral of the story....happy wife, happy life!
Yeah, for the time being though. Wait till mem's ML350 needing complete four wheel brake job. After mem paying for the brake job, no more fancy going out for nice Dinners with his wife on hold till recouping from such a big expenses! Beside that, mem congrats in you getting that MB! Sorry couldn't resist....No offense intended despite...
You....evil man! :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:49 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:07 pm
Gloria wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm
Moral of the story....happy wife, happy life!
Yeah, for the time being though. Wait till mem's ML350 needing complete four wheel brake job. After mem paying for the brake job, no more fancy going out for nice Dinners with his wife on hold till recouping from such a big expenses! Beside that, mem congrats in you getting that MB! Sorry couldn't resist....No offense intended despite...
This really is a huge improvement. I cheaped out and spent almost nothing on an suv vehicle in 2015 (well almost nothing for Chile!). Was worried about getting a lemon, didn't get a diesel, and the car was fine more or less until 2017. Then it started acting up and no matter how many times I've taken it to the mechanic in town over the last 18 months (not a dealer) it just doesn't get really fixed. It was stalling if warm and idling in town...sometimes so bad that I had to keep the gas on while braking...it would die in the middle of intersections...and to get it worked on, we had to leave it at the mechanics for like a week or two while we rented a stupid Suzuki alto (all we can get around here) where you feel every bump and lucky to get power steering, had to switch carseats, switch them back. Then we had to take these trips 2 hrs away one way for the intendencia and every time we wondered if we would make it home.
It just all came to head...plus that car had a 3.5L gas engine that was supposed to get 16mpg, but had been getting more like 11 or 12. It was so bad, we couldn't let the gas tank get more than half empty or it really went wild...we were pouring a quarter million pesos into that car just in gas every month!

Honestly, I am actually looking forward to not dealing with the country mechanics anymore with this 2008 ML320cdi (not an ML350 ahem...those are often bad...I know hehehe). At this point I just want the car taken care of right the first time without constant fear that when my wife leftwith the kids 30mins ago and my phone rings that it's her in tears about being stuck on the side of the road with melting down kids and myself out in the country with no taxi service telling her how sorry I am.

I will report back on how painful the service costs are...but I've got almost 9000km before the next service is due. It's only 23km round trip to town and we only go 2-3x a week. A full tank of diesel on this ml320cdi is yielding like 950+km range. I can't believe how little pesos we are paying anymore in fuel.
It also is really comforting knowing I went cross eyed researching brands/models/years weeding through reviews and carcomplaints.com, recalls, most common problems, etc. I prefer the devil I know versus the one I dont ; )

mem

Post by mem » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:33 pm
Congratulations! Well done. One solid vehicle there. Oh, and the engine sound? You can record it and play on loop for white noise at your place of work to keep a smile on :)
This is my first diesel...I'm pretty surprised how quiet it is. I mean I can tell the L200 or Hillux diesels are diesels from across the street, this one is just a lot quieter, I have to be within a few feet of the car to really hear it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am

yea my hundai is an older generation diesel and a bit loud, but visits to the copec are very pleasent.

i seen a documentary on the making of the mercedes G class suv, and totaly want one now. not sure i am going to get that past my wife.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am
yea my hundai is an older generation diesel and a bit loud, but visits to the copec are very pleasent.

i seen a documentary on the making of the mercedes G class suv, and totaly want one now. not sure i am going to get that past my wife.
If you specifically mean G-Class versus GL-Class, I think it is going to be hard to find a G for sale, I can't seem to find anything for sale but GL variants. I'm sure the G's are out there, just not many or possibly any on the market...I shudder to think what kind of prices they command when one eventually emerges for sale. I was trying to find the documentary you mentioned, but not sure I found it, however I did read up on the engineering of the G and it is pretty impressive. Only vehicle ever made with 3 fully interlocking differentials

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:44 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 pm
admin wrote:

If you specifically mean G-Class versus GL-Class, I think it is going to be hard to find a G for sale, I can't seem to find anything for sale but GL variants. I'm sure the G's are out there, just not many or possibly any on the market...I shudder to think what kind of prices they command when one eventually emerges for sale. I was trying to find the documentary you mentioned, but not sure I found it, however I did read up on the engineering of the G and it is pretty impressive. Only vehicle ever made with 3 fully interlocking differentials

I'm pretty sure that the admin is referring to the "GelandeWagen" and not the wannabe GL variants.. The real G cost you an arm and leg !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:44 pm
mem wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 pm
admin wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the admin is referring to the "GelandeWagen" and not the wannabe GL variants.. The real G cost you an arm and leg !
both arms and both legs. I still cant actually find a real one for sale anywhere in Chile...only thing more pricey would be importing one lol

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm

i have seen one or two in los condes; but get the impression they were a special import. probably never had the 4x4 engaged.

yea at 150,000 plus, it is cheaper to buy some 4x4 junker and walk away from it when it breaks down or gets stuck. you can still buy 15 more, and have gas money to spare.

at that price, i would never leave the parking lot with it, let alone take it off road. i still cringe every time a black berry bush makes contact with the paint on my FJ (it is worse than running through barbed wire, while listening to nails on a chalkboard).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.