Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by Gloria » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm

This topic should be called....."How many men does it takes to screw a light bulb?" :roll:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm
This topic should be called....."How many men does it takes to screw a light bulb?" :roll:
Hey Gloria-san, tell your experience to "mem" in owning your Yaris hatchback over the years. I know you had to buy a door mounted mirror but have you being spending much for its upkeep beside that mirror replacement? Last time me taking a ride in the front seat along with Dwayne at the helm, that Toyo engine revved so smooth and hardly discernible of unwanted noise. Your hubby didn't even notice that he's being running in 3rd gears all along out of 4 gears, that quiet the Toyo motor runs.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I'll summerize it for you. Normal upkeeping spent, ( oil, tires, air filter). Dependable, economic, comfortable. Won't buy none other than Toyota!.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, went sking at valle nevado on saturday and their was a porsche cayenne suv in the ditch just down the road from the resort. Based on the amount of snow on the hood, it looked abandonded for a few days.

Then also if my car went in the ditch on the way to the ski resort, i would grab my skis and leave the car for another day too.

It was gone on the way back. Perhaps the snow plow pushed it over the edge of the cliff.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 pm

I would say whatever you buy, buy something that can take a hit and allow you to at least walk away, if not fix the car after. Physics says bigger is better, or at least wins, in most impacts.

I have so far this year compacted two compact cars this year with my toyota fj, with no damage to the fj. My big mud tire on back took both hits.

The first one was sort of my fault. I could not see it parked behind me, and i had accidently turned off the backup sensor (put a piece of tape over it after that) backed up and the rear spare tire completly colapsed the hood and entire front end. Barrely touched it at less than 5km an hour. It was probably totaled. It was a toyota rental car. exchanged info with the people, filed a premetive report with my insurance company. Never heard a word about it again.

The second one was totally not my fault. I was parked with engine off at copec paying for gas when the guy rear ended me. Again he bounced off the spare tire, and completly colapsed his hood. I would say it was probably totaled, but it was an old piece of crap hyundai that had probably already been written off by some insurance company and resold. The fact it was still on the road though says something for hyundai.

The bummer is the bumper. i keep waiting for someone to mess up my bumpers so i can buy new off road bumpers with the insurance check. They just never seem to get past the spare tire to make contact with bumper.

Other than that, i have never had an accident in my life. I have however had some very scarry close calls in chile. A couple i have had to pullover after and let the adrenline leave my system.

Chileans are for the most part crappy drivers, and MOP is even crappier at designing safe roads and traffic flows. For instance, look at all the bridges in chile on route 5 or anywhere else. The bridges all have a square curb sidewalk along side of them, that is neither marked nor has any sort safty devise (e.g. water barrels, angles to deflect you away). If you hit one of those at night at a 120 km an hour, most any regular vehical is just going to disingrate around you. That is if your car does not jump the railing on the bridge. There are a million little safty design features, signs, etc missing from the roads in chile.

So get something with some serious safty engineering behind it, and pay for the extras like more side curtain air bags if they dont come standard.

Statisticaly, one of the most dangerious things humans do every day is be in or around cars. So armore up.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 pm
Chileans are for the most part crappy drivers, and MOP is even crappier at designing safe roads and traffic flows. For instance, look at all the bridges in chile on route 5 or anywhere else. The bridges all have a square curb sidewalk along side of them, that is neither marked nor has any sort safty devise (e.g. water barrels, angles to deflect you away). If you hit one of those at night at a 120 km an hour, most any regular vehical is just going to disingrate around you. That is if your car does not jump the railing on the bridge. There are a million little safty design features, signs, etc missing from the roads in chile.
On Ruta 68 going towards Valpo, midway between Santiago and Valpo, there´s a piece of concrete 15-20 cm high that sticks from the median almost into your lane. I was pretty shocked to see it the first time five years ago and it's still there today. And Ruta 68 used to be 50% owned by a Canadian company, too.

Someone should do an equivalent of the Sosafe app for roads in Chile...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:22 pm

This morning on tvn there was a report on an intetsection in satiago that had like 3 pedestrians hit in 2 weeks, plus years of car accidents. One of the stores on the corner caught them all on camera. They brought traffic expert to look at it, and the guy just went iff on everything that was wrong.

Those intersections number in the thousands, if not 10's of thousands, across the country. All badly designed intersections in chile that are just such a mess of a design that it is impossible for a human to keep an eye on all the varriables needed to safly navigate.

That is besides the waist of energy and time. I joke to my wife that 3/ 4 th of chile's energy use is just in badly designed roads. You for instance need to turn left, to get to a point that is 100 meters away. To do that you end up driving 3 km more, and sitting traffic for another 20 or 30 mins. Sometimes if they just changed a single sign, pultion in a neighborhood would drop dramatically.

The stupid thing is, there now is super advanced software that will crunch out a plan for every single little detail of traffic flow down to what color of paint to put on a curb, lights, signs, etc. Most cities and mop are still doing this with pencil and paper in chile.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:13 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:32 pm
manivel43 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm
I am kinda in dilemma between choosing a mazda 3 sedan and hyundai accent sedan.
You inputs about these 2 cars would enlighten me a bit.
Here's the list of strongest selling cars in Chile, meaning you'll have no problem servicing these anywhere in the country. http://www.emol.com/noticias/Autos/2017 ... va-del-ano.

I had a weird experience with a second generation Mazda 3 once - got it for as a rental for a week, it was my first experience with a Mazda, and, while the first hour in it was fine, after about three hours of driving I started hating every minute in it. It started feeling excruciatingly uncomfortable, cabin ergonomics/design aesthetics fell apart. I just couldn't drive it anymore and had to get my son to drive it instead. I know it's very personal, but I've never had a such a bad experience with any other brand before or after. Well, maybe with a Dodge Caliber :)

Now, if your Hyundai Accent comes in a diesel, that might be a good thing to have - it pulls better and saves you good money at fill up.

Maybe look at Chevrolet Cruze diesel also - another Korean product.
I dont think im going to ever get an american brand car...especially if its true they are stripping safety features
Also shocked Mitsubishi is at the bottom of thr list. The L200 trucks are EVERYWHERE in region 9. They also have the least amount of problems compared to hilluxs and navaras. The newer NP300s are as good but way more expensive. The L200's are rhe cheapest and most reliable it seems. I guess the survey is probably skewed by santiago and concepcion versus the countryside. Also surprised Mercedes and BMW and VW arent on the list. See tons of those even in the country...course ot might be dummies taking there "status symbol" on vacation near us. The Amarok trucks are quite popular.
I will probably stick with Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi (mitsubishi only if want a small pickup like an L200).
Beware the Navarras and Pathfinders from the years between 2004 to 2015..there are tons on the market...for good reason...they are built on the same chassis and they have a design flaw were they break in half! People are trying to pawn them off

I was/am considering the Landrover freelander 2's... (not the older Landrovers/freelanders) they have some nice things about them, but a little cconcerned on service costs, though probably cheapee than Mercedes and BMW

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:18 pm

[/quote]
I was/a considering the Landrover freelander 2's... (not the older Landrovers/freelanders) they have some nice things about them, but a little cconcerned on service costs, though probably cheapee than Mercedes and BMW
mem, thought your budget is $12 mill for a given marque of vehicle as for your candidate. But if you are going for a freelander 2, you might have to dig deeper ... Besides, the Brit marque is not as reliable as the Japanese brands but if you willing to afford the incuring repair/upkeep bill go ahead and get whatever you want.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 am

Some landrover fanatic in an article a while back gave an arguement for why landrover people were so loyal to a vehical with such a bad reputation for reliability along the lines of "because we can afford it".

Bmw never been a big fan of them. For the reputation, they just always feel cheep and plastic.

Mercedes perhaps.

I was up at one of the higher end parts of santiago for lunch a couple of weeks ago. In front of the restaurant there were Massaradis, porshe, even a farrari. Use to be a bently dealership across the street that sold lamborghines. Few harley davisons hogs parked outside too. Within site was probably 10 million dollars of rubber. I looked around and thought ' what was the most interesting thing on the street'?

I realized it was an old beatup, covered in bondo, vw bug. I could totally envision that bug fully restored being the coolest, and possibly the most fun, ride on the street.

The problem with vehicals the last 10 years or so, due fuel standards, use of wind tunnels and CAD design, they all look the same. There is only so many ways to get air to flow over and around something in an efficient way. Thus, why a bmw, porsche, ford, chevy, hyundai, etc SUVS all look the same: because they are basically the same. Even the motors and other parts will not be all that diffrent. What kind of computer do dads they put in them might be the only diffrence of any real importance. Other than that we are haggling over who has the better quality control in the manufactoring for the money.

Interesting conversation i had with friend recently that lives in los condes. He said After a bunch of car jackings, all the people with money have started dumping their flashy high end sports cars for more ho hum sedans and suvs as to not atract attention. Another friend of mine just sold his porsch 911 for a similar reason. That and where do you drive a car in santiago that is designed not to be happy under 150 km an hour. Down south i have plenty of nice paved roads with no traffic, but up there all you get to do with your sports car is sit in traffic.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 am

Nothing against the mitsubishies. Just they are really expensive for what they are.

The amerokes i have trouble getting excited about. They come off as all show and no go. More like an urban pickup. I dont think i would want one in the patagonia.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Been driving a Smart electric all summer, I want one in Chile.......it's the opposite of big is safer...monocoque egg shape, if you are hit it's pushed or rolls away......always wear your seat belt......sometimes tiny is good.
It's all about the wine.