Latam customer service ordeal

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Re: Latam customer service ordeal

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:08 pm

My saga trying to redeem accumulated Kms on LAN for a RT ticket to Tokyo Japan still continues. Tried to change my reservation booked on 12/22 2017 and purchase the ticket on 12/30/17 but when I called in and gave my reservation code, the chap at the other end told me no good your reservation expired on the 12/29/17.

When I booked the reservation on 12/22 the Gal at LAN told me that my 50K Kms will expire on Jan.01/18 so to call in and purchase the ticket and pay for the tax at that time will be OK. I called in on 12/30 so I had few days till my Kms expiry so I argued with LAN rep and demanded to speak with his supervisor but same this time, the SPRVSR is not visible therefore I will create a case for you he said. OK let do that pronto I said.

Men never thought changing accumulated Kms to purchase OneWorld partner fare, this case for Japan Airlines was this hard! Then a few days later received email from I guess the Supervisor stating to hurry up and pay for the tax $141.59, so I did. In order to pay for the tax have to go through LAN's cash collecting system, I think he called EDR? First you have to log in to your LAN account and create a new 4 digit code and after creation, the LAN rep comes on the phone and plugs you to computer automation which prompts you to enter your frequent mileage # the the 4 code pin you just created. Then the credit card # entry but the recording in the computer system instruct you to punch in your CC code in a such heavy accented English that is hardly discernible so I had to do it twice back and forth..

In sum, the ticket according to JAL site for flight on March 7 Tokyo bound and returning a couple weeks later is listed for $629 but you have to fork over 70.000 Kms not
62.900 as it should be. Asked LAN why over charging me and he said LAN rounds them up to 70K even, go figure ! I have a bad feeling that this ordeal still will continues..Tune up for the next episode..

P.S. They tried to charge me a baby seat fee on the tax and it was $161 bucks, argued then he said let me ask my supervisor. !? But the supervisor suppose to be invisible.? Anyways, he said you're lucky, he was able to reduce that child seat off and settle on $141.59! Lemme tell you, LAN may be class act in the air but on the terra firma, rather be dealin' with the Italianos insted!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:06 pm

LanChile was a class act.
Latam sucks. a little less than the other Western hemisphere airlines maybe but not by much.
They're trying hard to catch up though.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Yup the LAN employees will tell you what a mistake it was to merge with TAM (the smelly dead seagull hanging from LATAM's neck).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Question for those that has purchased air fare using LAN Kms. My understanding is that, every Km equals $1.00. So if a RT trip ticket SFO/TKO cost for March 07 in JAL site says US$629 or so. So isn't theoretically equals to 62.900 or thereabouts? Why LAN charges me 70.000 Kms?
I'm paying $700.00 for a $629.00 ticket? Does anyone know how this redeeming accumulated Kms for a given priced ticket value?
How about it EEUU-san, how many Kms did they deducted from your Kms bank when you purchased your ticket to the Empire? Do you remember how much was it for you? Ouch I feel that Latam is getting me going and coming! From now on, Iam getting a JAL mileage card and accumulate points on that card and then redeeming for south america bound Lan flight. Done with using Lan visa card for Kms accumulation.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

HybridAmbassador-san,

I accumulate miles with American Airlines who has a very transparent FF program vs. LAN (now LATAM). But even in the AA program, the miles needed for Economy/Business/First awards on partner airlines are fixed according to a public accesible table and one can never realistically draw a 1:1 parallel between airline FIAT miles vs. real dollars (even if FIAT in all other respects). Also see how airline FIAT miles have been massively devalued in almost every program the world over.

LATAM's program is only good for REAL FREQUENT business-type travelrs (say like Charles and Co.), thus the reason why I stick with AA despite the declining advantage of accumulating miles and being "loyal" overall.

--EEUU-san
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm

I have only used LATAM miles on LATAM flights. As EEUU says then you cannot do a 1:1 comparison to USD value. My estimate is pretty close to 1 USD for 100 km though.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:50 pm
Ouch I feel that Latam is getting me going and coming!
Yes they are doing exactly that. and so is every other North and South American airline.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Well, being accumulating 1 km per every dollar spent.
So 70k flat charged vs 63K leaves me with a 7K deficit equaling as to spend "seven thousand Dollars" to earn it..

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

I used mileage with AA and never had to pay any tax. There is a fee of $70, and they waive that fee to their frequent flyer customers. A few days ago, I flew coach from HOU to DFW to SCL for 30,000 miles and $5.60 booking fee.

Typically, I used AA miles to buy ticket on AA flight operated by LATAM when possible, and used LATAM upgrade coupons (given to me for being Santander credit cardholder). LATAM international upgrade is fairly easy (easier than AA upgrade). I have so much km on LATAM and never thought about using LATAM km to buy AA ticket. Thanks for the hint.

TP

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 am

Son got bumped off LATAM from SCL to LAX last night along with 15 others. Oversold. Was promised taxi back home but put in full van. Fortunately everyone else in the van was going to one hotel. The van driver said LATAM had been filling hotels in Santiago all day. There used to be an advantage to LAN over SKY but not anymore.