Latam customer service ordeal

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Latam customer service ordeal

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Had notification sent from Latam stating that my LAN kms are to be expired by Jan 01-2018! The number was 50k kilometers so decided to investigate this issue further by calling the phone listed in Lan.com ...

There spoke to a young customer rep that was few days ago but he said their site was down so to call another time. Today called again and this time got a young girl and her english not a la par with Latam's caliber but sigh "que voy a hacer".

Anyway told her that I will have 50k expiring soon and wanting to buy a RT ticket to Tokyo via JAL. Chose JAL due to alliance airliner to LAN and ANA is not also they offer marvelous ample seats with enough legroom!

Strange but JAL site offers "premium economy" but the Gal at LAN says that can't use free miles for that category and I would be good to only either economy or next class up, the Business class...The economy seating RT price was suffice enough with only 70k Kms but she hit me with
$140 Tax in US Dollars? Then the business class need to fork over 200k Kms.. Ouch! So needless to say, chose the economy but legroom is good
to: 33" so I'm OK with that but why do I have to pay US$140 in Tax? Also why can't LAN accommodate me with upgrade to premium economy. Can anyone comment on that please...EEUU-san are you there?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Latam customer service ordeal

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Doubt most airlines have created an award category for Premium Economy and LATAM would be an unlikely leader in that innovation. Look at their close partner AA's site and you can see there is no Premium Economy in the partner airline award categories.

Yes, you must pay taxes on award flights, I just did in May on UA to the States and I also need to pay tax on my LATAM benefit to employee family flights.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 pm

I've always paid tax on award flights but never more than $20 or $30 dollars. If you get miles via credit card you can make a small purchase on the card to prevent the miles from expiring.

You can also keep miles from expiring by donating some to a charity or you can even buy a few miles. Any type of activity in your account will keep them from expiring.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 am

Actuelly pretty happy with the lan miles program. I dont think we have paid for more than one or two flights to santiago all year, and my wife flies typically once a week. I go like once or twice a month, depending what is going on there.

We bought international tickets with cash earlier in the year, and realized the miles earned would keep us flying for free inside chile for the rest of the year and in to 2018 vs. Buying the international ticket with a combination of cash and km ( that we were short, and would of had to buy more).

We use our lan credit cards all over the place, and pay off the balance each month; while also getting access to the excutive lounges.

As shareholder, i sure as hell hope lan did the math correctly, because so far their new low cost airline model is starting to look more like a none-profit airline model.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 am

I got my end of the year book keeping coming up, so im going to break out the flight costs vs previous years and see what we are spending flights vs previous years. Think we are spending about the same, but flying whole lot more.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:28 pm

I use US bank credit card promoting the Latam kms award for every purchase gaining and accumulating LAN Kms. But had notification that big chunk of my earned Kms would expire by the 1st of January 2018. So in order to prevent my hard earned Kms evaporating, had to use portion of expiring Kms to purchase a flight ticket, either for LAN flights or affiliated airlines. NO, the expiring Kms was going to happen anyways, and using the credit card was ineffective to prevent the expiring Kms. But US$140 for taxes? I thought the tax amount is always around $30~$40 bucks but never as high as $140.00 ! The Gal at LAN said that is the amount of tax if airfare purchased using LAN Kms.. But the tax amount is way less if ticket purchased by cash.? Go figure !

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:34 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:42 pm
Doubt most airlines have created an award category for Premium Economy and LATAM would be an unlikely leader in that innovation. Look at their close partner AA's site and you can see there is no Premium Economy in the partner airline award categories.

Yes, you must pay taxes on award flights, I just did in May on UA to the States and I also need to pay tax on my LATAM benefit to employee family flights.
EEUU-san, how much tax did you pay for that international airfare using your LAN Kms? I still think US$140 is way too high and the tax portion has to be paid by cash. Not able to use accumulated award Kms. Anywhere to find out if amount charged is adequate ? Appreciate any advise.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:28 pm
I use US bank credit card promoting the Latam kms award for every purchase gaining and accumulating LAN Kms. But had notification that big chunk of my earned Kms would expire by the 1st of January 2018. So in order to prevent my hard earned Kms evaporating, had to use portion of expiring Kms to purchase a flight ticket, either for LAN flights or affiliated airlines. NO, the expiring Kms was going to happen anyways, and using the credit card was ineffective to prevent the expiring Kms. But US$140 for taxes? I thought the tax amount is always around $30~$40 bucks but never as high as $140.00 ! The Gal at LAN said that is the amount of tax if airfare purchased using LAN Kms.. But the tax amount is way less if ticket purchased by cash.? Go figure !
American Airlines is a One World partner with Latam. You might check with AA to see if you can book an award flight with less taxes.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:51 pm

I need to check but my one-way UA economy award flight SCL-IAH-LAX came out to something like $60 so $140 for a RT NA to Japan might be correct.

They should have sent some kind of invoice showing the "award" purchase including tax breakdown. Maybe you can ask (of course it is LATAM, so YMMV) if they can email you an invoice.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54 pm

As far as I know, tax is depending on airport. I have used several airline programs and the tax is never included when buying with miles. Always paid in cash

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Received this from Latam. What is new for from LATAM pass Kms to LATAM pass points?

As previously mentioned, starting on January 3, 2018 our current currency LATAM Pass KMS will become LATAM Pass Points, and you will be able to continue earning and redeeming as you currently do.

Your statement and award redemption methods will not be affected.

Learn more about LATAM Pass Points

In order to implement this important change to our program, LATAM Pass services will be intermittently available, and during January 3 some will be completely inoperative. See details here:

22 December 22 to January 3:
+

The accreditation of your LATAM Pass KMS earned through commercial and financial alliances will take longer than usual to be reflected in your account. We remind you that your KMS will not be lost, it will only take additional days for them to be credited to your account.

December 28 to January 3:
+

January 1 to January 3:
+

January 3 from 10:00 p.m. EST to January 4, 5:00 p.m. EST :
+

We regret any possible inconveniences that this maintenance could cause you. All of our contact channels and our Contact Center service will keep your information channel active, for any questions you may have. During the day January 4 all these services will return to normal.
Thanks for your preference,
LATAM Pass.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:28 pm
American Airlines is a One World partner with Latam. You might check with AA to see if you can book an award flight with less taxes.
I did test that option too but the exorbitant high tax for award Kms RT ticket purchase US~Japan flights amongst One World partner airlines are all the same amount. I think LAN is charging this amount as if "service charge" ? In order to use the award Kms, one must go through the LAN representative anyways. There is no way to use accumulated free Kms but to book the flight through LAN. So pretty much you're stuck with the LAN rep..The Gal at LAN got fed up with me after trying a few other OneWorld alliance airliners and she keep telling me the tax $ is same across any of the OneWorld partners.? Tried callin' other airliners and asked about the tax amount but said you have to go through LAN in order to redeem the award Kms..
American Airlines British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Qantas, etc.