Buying tickets online with Avianca

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

FrankPintor

Buying tickets online with Avianca

Post by FrankPintor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Avianca has done it again... when I was living in Ecuador I found it was impossible to buy tickets on avianca.com. Even if I got a confirmation, and the money was deducted from my credit card, a few hours later Avianca would send an email canceling everything.

Now the same thing is happening in Argentina :roll:

They appear to be geolocating the visitors to their page, switching language and currency to that locale (annoying already), and then using a local credit card processor to process and verify the transaction. Fails every time. Confirmed booking canceled. Money returned to credit card after whatever interval they deem appropriate (could be hours or days).

Then I can go to an Avianca office (if I lived in the sticks I would be totally shafted), show them the cancelled booking, tell them that avianca.com has royally screwed up once again and can they please copy all the data from the cancelled booking to a new one, charge me more (of course, because now my booking is "presencial"), and let me pay with the same credit card that was rejected online. Wtf...

Any ideas anyone? VPN, or is there some way to force avianca.com to open the international page? Some browser setting? (I use Safari at home, Chrome or IE 11 at work). Private browsing? Tor? Silk Road? :D
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

tiagoabner

Re: Buying tickets online with Avianca

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm

A VPN may solve this issue, if it is a simple matter of them rerouting it to a crappy local payment processor. A simple alternative is to purchase the ticket at an online ticket processor, although that comes with a small fee most of the time.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm
A VPN may solve this issue, if it is a simple matter of them rerouting it to a crappy local payment processor. A simple alternative is to purchase the ticket at an online ticket processor, although that comes with a small fee most of the time.
OK, well it seems to be a combination of geolocating users and rerouting. What VPN would you recommend?

I tried hideme.be which is just for anonymous surfing... but things get lost, scripts and so on, so complex web pages don't work properly. Would this be an issue?

By online ticket processor you mean b*oking, e*pedia, v•ayama and so on? I've used all of them at some point, they're happy to take my money any time, but there is this worry in the background that if something goes wrong, you get to deal with the ticket processor and not with the airline. Almost got stranded in Venezuela because of that :shock:

papageno

Post by papageno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm
OK, well it seems to be a combination of geolocating users and rerouting. What VPN would you recommend?

I tried hideme.be which is just for anonymous surfing... but things get lost, scripts and so on, so complex web pages don't work properly. Would this be an issue?

By online ticket processor you mean b*oking, e*pedia, v•ayama and so on? I've used all of them at some point, they're happy to take my money any time, but there is this worry in the background that if something goes wrong, you get to deal with the ticket processor and not with the airline. Almost got stranded in Venezuela because of that :shock:
Why not LATAM, unless you're too heavily invested in miles with Avianca? I have other issues with them, but the website works well enough to buy your tickets (other functions, not so much).

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeah, I have a bunch of business miles travel with them. In the air Avianca is great, plus they have USB chargers in every seat so goodbye to arriving incomunicado with an empty phone.

Neither LATAM nor Copa seem to have the same revenue-denying geo-location mania that Avianca has. However, LATAM is really at the very top of the price matrix. Sometimes Copa works, sometimes not.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 am

LATAM web site still has it's issues, but has been getting better over the last few years.

The one we have problems with all the time is them not honoring our seating assignments.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm

My biggest gripe is the exorbitant amount of their change fees, and that on a 6-leg combination (round trip), no changes are allowed on 2,3,4&5--essentially holding 1 &6 hostage. Illustration: LAX to PMC, changing planes in LIM and SCL. Changes are only allowed from LAX to LIM and LIM to LAX. Solution--separate tickets? Though that reduces the baggage allowance within Chile. ..