Traveling to Casablanca, Quintay, Cachagua and Zapallar - Recommendations?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

libertad

Traveling to Casablanca, Quintay, Cachagua and Zapallar - Recommendations?

Post by libertad » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 am

Hey all,

Its been a while since I've been active here. I've lived and traveled a good deal in Chile before and my spouse and I are returning to Chile again for 1 week in December to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. After celebrating our honeymoon in Chile, it felt like the natural thing to do.

We'll be staying at a vineyard outside of Casablanca for a few days, with a planned day trip to Quintay. We'll spend a night with dear friends and family in Valparaiso, before heading up the coast to stay near Cachagua and Zapallar. I'll send a "report" from the trip afterwards to share any insights (and hopefully, good experiences).

If anyone has any suggested sites, restaurants, experiences or otherwise in the areas we will be traveling, I would appreciate any recommendations in advance.

Blessings to all -

Libertad

admin
Site Admin

Re: Traveling to Casablanca, Quintay, Cachagua and Zapallar - Recommendations?

Post by admin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 pm

hit viu manent vinyard:

http://www.viumanent.cl/

They are one of the few to put on a good show for wine tasting. Restaurant was great, although you might need a reservation depending on the season. They do tasting in the store. The ride through the vineyard on horse drawn carriage is fun.

One of the oldest and possibly only good malbec produced in Chile, comes from the vines that pre-date the vineyard. It has become one of my goto wines for gifts to friends and clients.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pm

p.s., I never do wine tours anymore. I know how wine is made. I just want to drink it.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

libertad

Post by libertad » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Haha. Yes, I find the wine tours a bit overdone and expensive myself...we might do one, but after that, we'll aim for consumption ;)

Thanks for the heads up on that vineyard. I'll definitely look into it and maybe make a reservation at the restaurant there.

Now...how to hire someone to carry our *happy* selves back to our accommodations in Casablanca...

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 pm

When nothing else to do, one may always try to repeat this track, about 18km.
q.jpg
Starting from Curauma (15-20 min. bus ride from Valparaiso, take micro 001 or 901, 450 peso) crossing the hills right to Quintay, from where there is a bus/colectivo service back to Valparaiso (about 2.000 peso or less).
3.jpg
3.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 am

libertad wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm
Haha. Yes, I find the wine tours a bit overdone and expensive myself...we might do one, but after that, we'll aim for consumption ;)

Thanks for the heads up on that vineyard. I'll definitely look into it and maybe make a reservation at the restaurant there.

Now...how to hire someone to carry our *happy* selves back to our accommodations in Casablanca...
We always negotiate a taxi driver at the sant cruz central plaza to drive us around for the day to the vinyards.

libertad

Post by libertad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm

That sounds like a good idea. What's a range of a reasonable fee/tarifa to hire such a taxi driver for a 1/2 or full day?

I've done this before (for an all day trip to Elqui Valley), but always wondered if what the guy charged was fair! In my recollection, it was about 65.000 CLP for a full day.

libertad

Post by libertad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm

RunetheChookcha, was that a Hike that you did through the hills? If so, was there a trail/sendero or were you literally bushwacking?

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 pm

libertad wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm
RunetheChookcha, was that a Hike that you did through the hills? If so, was there a trail/sendero or were you literally bushwacking?
There are logging type roads all over the hills but I for one ended up on someone's private land trying to get as close to Quintay as possible, and got kicked out by a mounted ranger.

libertad

Post by libertad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Haha. I think we'll probably avoid that adventure...I'm not sure the wife would be thrilled with being kicked off someone's land on the anniversary trip. It would, however, make a great story around a fire, I bet.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

I love that area, the woods are gorgeous. Roonchukcha can you share your google map with coordinates of that exact route to Quintay? Assuming it's not going through someone's property :) The walk around the lake is very nice, btw, about 11 km in all.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I have about 20 GPS recordings of my own travels in the area (around Valparaiso, Curauma, Quintay, El Batro, Lo Vásquez, etc.) which I am not going to share publicly. Nor I am going to confirm whether or not I repeated someone else's tracks. Irrespective of this, however, I am open to post advice here, take it FWIW.

Firstly, here ( https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=6496177 ) you can view or download into your GPS tracker the trail mentioned in my original post. This was posted by someone else (don/t know by whom exactly). Secondly, I have reasons to believe it does cross at least two properties. Has at least one closed gate (marked by the star below),
9.jpg
9.jpg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
and a number of warning signs. Thirdly, there are "forestal" properties in the area that I think are very safe to cross, and purely "private" ones, that are a bit problematic, ethically speaking, to cross. No matter what route you take, chances are you WILL cross at least two properties, if the route is long enough. One of the safest is Curauma to El Batro (exit is possible in El Batro, or a bit further towards Quintay from El Batro). I will now post a couple of VERY safe and short trails there. Wait a bit.