Page 3 of 6

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 pm
by frozen-north
Space Cat wrote:
Almost – being able to step back and look at the big picture, why something exists or happens in the first place. Being just smart helps you to "play the game" better but sometimes it's practical to leave the game altogether.

Before it was harder because you would feel like a lonely weirdo but now you can have a peer group where people think in the same way, thanks to the Internet.

Marketers already have hard time with too much folks who can see through the usual BS. It will only get better.
Does anybody else use the word 'meta-smart', or you just made it up as you were writing the previous comment?

I am sure I have heard what you are calling 'meta-smart' before. I am trying to remember what other words have been used.

As for the idea that before ' you would feel like a lonely weirdo', I think that now we have plenty of people with weird ideas that no longer feel lonely. Those that think that the British royalty are lizards find plenty of company.

I am not sure where you get the idea that 'Marketers already have hard time.... It will only get better.' What will get better? People will do some fact checking? They will actually research before making a decision? Facts will actually matter? As you probably know well, marketers and con men can count on a reliable crowd ready to listen to lies. And the lies don't have to be new, they just have to be slightly different or well delivered. - 'New and improved!' 'In exciting new colors!'

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 am
by Space Cat
frozen-north wrote: Does anybody else use the word 'meta-smart', or you just made it up as you were writing the previous comment?

I am sure I have heard what you are calling 'meta-smart' before. I am trying to remember what other words have been used.

As for the idea that before ' you would feel like a lonely weirdo', I think that now we have plenty of people with weird ideas that no longer feel lonely. Those that think that the British royalty are lizards find plenty of company.

I am not sure where you get the idea that 'Marketers already have hard time.... It will only get better.' What will get better? People will do some fact checking? They will actually research before making a decision? Facts will actually matter? As you probably know well, marketers and con men can count on a reliable crowd ready to listen to lies. And the lies don't have to be new, they just have to be slightly different or well delivered. - 'New and improved!' 'In exciting new colors!'
Sure I made it up, I'm an ESL speaker after all. ;P

Fan clubs of royal reptiles are an old thing, I'm talking about more subtle social shifts that are not ideologies or movements by themselves.

The awareness of what's up is getting better. It's a numbers game: when billions have access to knowledge, millions will use it properly. The thread is about the billions who don't understand this opportunity but negative news are always more visible.

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am
by Britkid
Looks like I was wrong about whatsapp you can install it on a computer. I actually bothered to google it this time unlike in my lazy last post. I think I might have checked some years ago and it probably was true originally that you can't install on a computer, but not any more. In that case, I think fair enough if you don't want a smart phone.

About millenials...they don't seem to form communities on forums like this one? Maybe dip in and out with a quick question, but not stick around to argue about politics or see how everyone's getting on. The average age on forums seems to be going up? Maybe forums are not very usable on smart phones, or things have gone over to facebook discussion groups.

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am
by eeuunikkeiexpat
Britkid wrote:Looks like I was wrong about whatsapp you can install it on a computer. I actually bothered to google it this time unlike in my lazy last post. I think I might have checked some years ago and it probably was true originally that you can't install on a computer, but not any more. In that case, I think fair enough if you don't want a smart phone.
Actuallly, you need a smartphone even with the computer. The computer allows you to access the text/photo/voice message/gif and smile face systems but not the active telephone call system. The smartphone needs to be connected to the Internet and then on the computer app, you need to scan in the QR code displayed on the computer app to your readily available WhatsApp connected phone.
Britkid wrote:About millenials...they don't seem to form communities on forums like this one? Maybe dip in and out with a quick question, but not stick around to argue about politics or see how everyone's getting on. The average age on forums seems to be going up? Maybe forums are not very usable on smart phones, or things have gone over to facebook discussion groups.
As seen by the many Millenial and younger Xers that get blown off the forum, they are not capable of pre-research (work) before asking questions as of course their questions are unique and only about their very special personal situations, seeing things from other points of view not congruent to theirs, or holding their own in an argument if involved in the previous category, seem to think their questions demand personalized answers pronto which point to a lack of ability of sustained thought perhaps due to upbringing (educators definately and I guess Boomer and X'er parents have to take some blame) and a lifetime on psyhcotropic prescription drugs.

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm
by at46
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Britkid wrote:Looks like I was wrong about whatsapp you can install it on a computer. I actually bothered to google it this time unlike in my lazy last post. I think I might have checked some years ago and it probably was true originally that you can't install on a computer, but not any more. In that case, I think fair enough if you don't want a smart phone.
Actuallly, you need a smartphone even with the computer. The computer allows you to access the text/photo/voice message/gif and smile face systems but not the active telephone call system. The smartphone needs to be connected to the Internet and then on the computer app, you need to scan in the QR code displayed on the computer app to your readily available WhatsApp connected phone.
Britkid wrote:About millenials...they don't seem to form communities on forums like this one? Maybe dip in and out with a quick question, but not stick around to argue about politics or see how everyone's getting on. The average age on forums seems to be going up? Maybe forums are not very usable on smart phones, or things have gone over to facebook discussion groups.
As seen by the many Millenial and younger Xers that get blown off the forum, they are not capable of pre-research (work) before asking questions as of course their questions are unique and only about their very special personal situations, seeing things from other points of view not congruent to theirs, or holding their own in an argument if involved in the previous category, seem to think their questions demand personalized answers pronto which point to a lack of ability of sustained thought perhaps due to upbringing (educators definately and I guess Boomer and X'er parents have to take some blame) and a lifetime on psyhcotropic prescription drugs.
You missed judicial application of corporal punishment in the best interests of the child, i.e. caning :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:41 pm
by Space Cat
Britkid wrote:About millenials...they don't seem to form communities on forums like this one? Maybe dip in and out with a quick question, but not stick around to argue about politics or see how everyone's getting on. The average age on forums seems to be going up? Maybe forums are not very usable on smart phones, or things have gone over to facebook discussion groups.
There are thousands of them. Reddit itself is a huge forum system with mostly 16-35yo audience. Facebook is for local discussions and fluff, all the serious discussions are on forums.

Even in the Chilean part of the Internet there's CHW.net with a huge forum where you can find everything about the tech market here. It's full of students and probably high-schoolers too.

This forum is exception regarding the age distribution because younger people usually don't have money to relocate.

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm
by snobrd4life
Space Cat wrote:This forum is exception regarding the age distribution because younger people usually don't have money to relocate.
I can think of a few sub-30 forumites, but in general, the younger crowd probably lurks, gets what they need from the search function and moves on. A lot of discussions regarding building materials or living outside of Santiago probably don't apply.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:...which point to a lack of ability of sustained thought perhaps due to upbringing (educators definately and I guess Boomer and X'er parents have to take some blame
That's a really interesting/introspective comment. Bandwagon banter on this forum usually places the blame squarely on the millennials. Didn't happen by divine intervention, pure laziness, or smartphones alone.

"Bargain hunter"-types aside, (what a d-bag) we're all trying to use resources available to improve our lives through knowledge and shared experiences. I, for one, really enjoy reading and occasionally participating here.

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 pm
by Space Cat
snobrd4life wrote:That's a really interesting/introspective comment. Bandwagon banter on this forum usually places the blame squarely on the millennials. Didn't happen by divine intervention, pure laziness, or smartphones alone.
Welp, older people are in charge of government, education, corporations, capitals, media, propaganda, probably everything except for "dank memes" on the web (though companies are paying for creating them too nowadays to appeal to younger audiences).

If I agree for a moment that the generalization about my generation being really lazy and spoiled is true and not a selection bias, then where the parents and teachers have been?

For example: I read that people in the US could call CPS if kids are playing unsupervised on the lawn. What are the chances that a person will become responsible and not narcissistic if parents had been helicoptering around him/her for years while media and ads were repeating "SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL FIND YOUR UNIQUE WAY"?

This is just a sad map (source):
playgraphicDM1406_468x518.jpg
playgraphicDM1406_468x518.jpg (138.78 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 pm
by 41southchile
The other side of the original article
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/on ... generation

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:12 pm
by thisisreallycomplicated
frozen-north wrote:As for the idea that before ' you would feel like a lonely weirdo', I think that now we have plenty of people with weird ideas that no longer feel lonely. Those that think that the British royalty are lizards find plenty of company.
One person's weird is another person's normal. I think the lizard thing is where some people literally see things symbolically, like they would in a dream. Except their minds sometimes do it while they're awake. Sort of like people with certain mental conditions see people who aren't really there. Or maybe they are, depending on your definition of "there".

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 pm
by frozen-north
41southchile wrote:
The other side of the original article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/on ... generation
And a good comment on that article:

Are young people happier or not?

Submitted by Nick Gall on August 9, 2017 - 5:14pm

I looked up Prof. Twenge's previous articles in The Atlantic and found this: "Young People Are Happier Than They Used to Be" (2015):

'Adults 30 and over are less happy than they used to be, while, teens and young adults are happier; in fact, adults over 30 are no longer happier than their younger counterparts. It seems that mature adults’ happiness has waned, while young people’s happiness has flourished.'

So which is it? :)

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 am
by nikotromus