Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Post by Britkid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:27 pm

What's needed for kids is the ability to regulate I think. Smart phones should come with some kind of controlling feature that means that they can only be used for a maximum of x hours per day and y hours per week, and once those limits are passed, they turn off and won't turn back on until the next day/week.

So say you decide to set your kids smart phone to 2 hours per day. The phone could have a little clock on it showing time remaining which starts popping up or getting bigger in the last few minutes.

There would need to be an override function. Say you get 10 extensions of an hour per year and 10 complete overrides where you can use it all day per year. Once you've used them all up, there are no overrides until the next year unless for an emergency call or call to parents only but everything else blocked.

I think this would be a big help. If anyone knows which smart phones already have this let me know. You can also buy independent software for this. I did find one last month but then there were payment errors when I tried to buy it. But I am going to have a look for another one some day.

It would be a lot easier than constantly negotiating/arguing/confiscating.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:23 pm

One problem with not having a smart phone is I believe that you can't use whatssapp if you just have a regular phone and a computer at home, (or can you? is that right?). You may need to be in whatssapp group with other parents at your kids school or the group of your apartment/condominio or work colleagues. It could even lose you a chance to make a new friend if someone offers to connect by whatsapp and then you have to say you don't have it. They hardly know you yet, they are not going to bother to text/call you to get to know you. I can't remember the last time someone in Chile sent me a text message instead of whatsapp. Texts are dead. When they ask if you have whatssapp they expect you to say yes. If you don't that might contribute to a failure to integrate culturally in Chile or at least missing out on a few things. That's the only problem I can think of with not having a smart phone, though.
I carry a dumb phone when out but have a smart phone using wifi for WhatsApp at home. Also the WhatsApp application on my Mac needs and works in conjuction with the wifi connected smartphone so that I don't have to constantly pickup the smartphone to read and respond to messages while working, researching and reading on my workhorse laptop.
Well there is one other one, it can very occassionally be useful to have internet access while out.
Use mobile hotspot (VMs Freemium SIM) with wife's non cel iPad or my Mac laptop as needed.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:36 pm

When I was a kid we had 1 phone, and it was attached to a wall in our kitchen. And it had a dial with numbers on it. I'm not sure if pushbuttons were invented yet. We even had a party line, so sometimes we had to wait for the neighbor to finish talking, before we could use the phone. And somehow we managed.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:07 pm

admin wrote:Another example, software. I have seen this crazy trend over the last say 5 years or so, and especially the last couple of years as millennials sort of work their way in to decision making positions, to change things in software that has sometimes worked flawlessly for decades. Everything from trying to redefine what counts as an icon on a cell phone, to rebuilding the very core of Linux that all other opensource projects hang on. Some with near catastrophic results; but, what they often have in common is this total lack of a good argument, or often even a bad argument, for the changes they are making. they are totally arbitrary, in some desperate attempt to put their name on it.
Luckily, Linux is maintained by Linus Torvalds who is super stubborn when it comes to breaking backwards compatibility or changes for the sake of changes. But web development is a NIH world ("not invented here"). There are literally dozens of new frameworks created each year. Trends completely change in 2-3 years.
Britkid wrote:It looks to me like the generation below us is going to be a bit smarter than we are. Yes, there are some things a bit better, some a bit worse, but overall you are being a bit harsh.
Sites like Reddit and Tumblr are famous for the mass self-reflection threads. Many people, including me, got hundreds of small insights about society, culture, and shared shadow parts of our minds. Properly used Internet helps you to become meta-smart.

The problem is that majority doesn't care about these topics and these sites are introvert geeky clubs. But no way we'd get this without everybody being connected to the web.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Properly used Internet helps you to become meta-smart.
What is 'meta-smart"?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Britkid wrote:
I have been sat in restaurants with my friends in the UK and everyone at the table was on their smart phone but me, and I didn't have one so I just had to sat there and stare at the walls.
Why would you and your friends get together in that case? I know many people seem to be doing that, but I don't follow the logic.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:45 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Space Cat wrote:
Properly used Internet helps you to become meta-smart.
What is 'meta-smart"?
Maybe it means smart about being smart? I dunno, I had the same question:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Almost – being able to step back and look at the big picture, why something exists or happens in the first place. Being just smart helps you to "play the game" better but sometimes it's practical to leave the game altogether.

Before it was harder because you would feel like a lonely weirdo but now you can have a peer group where people think in the same way, thanks to the Internet.

Marketers already have hard time with too much folks who can see through the usual BS. It will only get better.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm

I just installed WhatsApp for the first time last week, for a project we were working on. My wife has been on my case to install it for a while, because Chileans are all WhatsApp crazy and won't even call you anymore unless forced to.

Guess what, not impressed. Depends on the internet. In fact, don't even understand why it needs a phone number associated with it. It is just another internet dependent messaging app. Wait until the next 8.0 and the phone networks are up and down, for hours or days, and only a text message get's through when the cell network is up for 3 seconds, then goes down again. Do you really want your phone in full blown smart phone mode draining a battery all day, just to perhaps get a text message?

On the other hand, text messages have become super unreliable, on a nice sunny day. They are going through at about 50-70% success rate recently. so, not totally convinced text messaging is what it use to be. Something changed in the networks.

I also have some doubts about their biz model. Where exactly are they going to make money off that crap? They just ate twitters lunch, and twitter never really figured out how to make money.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 pm

I am not referring to linux. I am referring to the Systemd; but that is a religious argument, that is not appropriate for the forum. There are far more examples however out there in opensource land of the millennials getting their grubby hands, on otherwise good opensource projects. Bet we see more and more of them going forward.

It makes me feel old, but it is driving me deeper in to the more remote corners of the old school opensource projects to get away from them, like BSD land. Places the millennials are not inclined to go, because they are too old, unsexy, or just better managed and controlled by more experienced programmers.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm

admin wrote:
I just installed WhatsApp for the first time last week, for a project we were working on......

Guess what, not impressed. Depends on the internet. In fact, don't even understand why it needs a phone number associated with it.
Como le dijo el lobo a Caperucita Roja: 'Para comerte mejor!'

Since WhatsApp is owned by Facebook, I suspect that it is just for the purpose of tracking the users.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 pm

admin wrote:I just installed WhatsApp for the first time last week, for a project we were working on. My wife has been on my case to install it for a while, because Chileans are all WhatsApp crazy and won't even call you anymore unless forced to.

Guess what, not impressed. Depends on the internet. In fact, don't even understand why it needs a phone number associated with it. It is just another internet dependent messaging app. Wait until the next 8.0 and the phone networks are up and down, for hours or days, and only a text message get's through when the cell network is up for 3 seconds, then goes down again. Do you really want your phone in full blown smart phone mode draining a battery all day, just to perhaps get a text message?

I also have some doubts about their biz model. Where exactly are they going to make money off that crap? They just ate twitters lunch, and twitter never really figured out how to make money.
The idea of WhatsApp and competitors was in reducing the enormous costs per SMS. Mobile operators' revenue plummeted when these messengers got popular. Plus it made easy to send photos and videos because MMS had never worked and cost too much too.

I don't like the phone number auth and prefer login/password but it seems other people really like to not have any passwords.

There's no monetization because they got bought by Facebook along with Instagram to neutralize possible social networking competitors, so Facebook is mining data from WhatsApp to target their ads better.