Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Gen life: Have smartphones destroyed a generation?

Post by admin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:14 pm

You have no privacy. Get over it.

https://www.wired.com/1999/01/sun-on-pr ... t-over-it/

I have to admit i even over think it for day to day garbage apps, and i really know how to do it.

You can have convience or you can have privacy. You cant have both.

And privacy, as a right of some sort, is a marketing gimmic. Hell, simply not being someone elses property is a fairly knew gimmic for indivduals, and obviously that did not last long. Even lords have kings.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm

It used to be that someone needed a good reason to spy on you, because it was expensive to pay someone to do it. These days it's a lot different, because it's pretty cheap to spy on anyone. All I have to do is talk on the phone, and next thing I know I'm seeing adds for whatever it was I was talking about. That's just too creepy for me. And I'm sure advertising isn't the only thing it's being used for.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Quite ironic how even the Chile joven far left are enamored with Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube, Google etc. when there is more than enough evidence of their C I A sponsorship if not covert control of all the shite.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 pm

admin wrote:
You have no privacy. Get over it.

https://www.wired.com/1999/01/sun-on-pr ... t-over-it/
A few other famous quotes:

5. The PC was never meant for home use

10. Windows will never be a 32-bit OS

http://www.zdnet.com/article/top-10-wor ... -all-time/
It is also difficult to mass produce food, should we just get used to eat food with pesticides?
Why toxic chemicals keep sneaking into our food

Most people would avoid deliberately eating pesticides - but they don't realize that they're eating them without knowing it much of the time.

http://www.dw.com/en/why-toxic-chemical ... a-40009502

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Space Cat wrote:
I just found this amazing paper: "Microaggression and Moral Cultures":
Horwitz makes a strong case that unsupervised and unstructured play among children teaches them private, noncoercive ways to resolve conflicts and generate cooperation, lessons that are very important to how they conduct themselves when they become adults. Supervised play, by contrast, trains children to expect adults to step in to adjudicate disputes and apply coercion. Horwitz fears this is flipping the social default setting from "figure out how to solve this conflict on your own" to "invoke force and/or third parties whenever conflict arises."
Is that free-market anarchism, or is it laissez-faire economics as applied to child rearing? :)
trains children to expect adults to step in to adjudicate disputes and apply coercion.
I don't believe that the 'coercion' part is demanded by the children, I believe it is a 'freebie' from the adults.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

It's another vicious circle. First it's a freebie, later it becomes a power move to call mom every time you are not happy with your peers' actions. Kids are masters in manipulating their parents.

But the idea from this paper makes perfect sense. Obsessive hyper-protective parenting changing the whole culture by forcing behavior patterns for 15-20 years in a row sounds more plausible than just 10 years of smartphones and social apps usage.

I also don't remember any complaints towards millenials (and even usage of this term) in the ex-USSR countries besides the usual "youngsters are not the same as us". Parents there rarely have so much time to micro-manage kids' lives. Both me and my younger brother who's 19yo now were roaming alone and doing stupid stuff in the streets since being 8-10 years old.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 am

Space Cat wrote:I just found this amazing paper: "Microaggression and Moral Cultures":
http://reason.com/blog/2015/09/11/victi ... beyond-dig

And now...
Horwitz makes a strong case that unsupervised and unstructured play among children teaches them private, noncoercive ways to resolve conflicts and generate cooperation, ...
Nonsense. When children are unsupervised, there are fights to determine who is the strongest. Then that one dominates the rest. If the lack of supervision extends for a long period of time, then gangs develop.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 am

Space Cat wrote:
But the idea from this paper makes perfect sense.
No, it does not. Neither the paper you are referring to, nor the article that started this thread are any good.

This statement from that article is an example of nonsense:
Psychologically, however, they are more vulnerable than Millennials were: Rates of teen depression and suicide have skyrocketed since 2011. It’s not an exaggeration to describe iGen as being on the brink of the worst mental-health crisis in decades. Much of this deterioration can be traced to their phones.
Space Cat wrote: Obsessive hyper-protective parenting changing the whole culture by forcing behavior patterns for 15-20 years in a row sounds more plausible than just 10 years of smartphones and social apps usage.
Parents can't avoid doing what they are doing. Let's blame the whole thing on Dr. Spock.

Or should we blame it on television ? :)
How Dr. Spock destroyed America

In the last 50 years, our nation has taken a moral nosedive.

Since 1960, the rate of violent crimes has more than tripled. Every day there are news reports of heinous crimes unheard of in America a generation ago. Children murder their playmates, their teachers and their parents.
Benjamin McLane Spock (May 2, 1903 – March 15, 1998) was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care (1946) is one of the best-sellers of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Spock
Is television destroying our children's minds?

21 July 2004

Should parents worry about what television is doing to their children? Is it making them fatter, stupider, more violent?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/200 ... socialcare

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

bert.douglas wrote:Nonsense. When children are unsupervised, there are fights to determine who is the strongest. Then that one dominates the rest. If the lack of supervision extends for a long period of time, then gangs develop.
We were playing unsupervised all the time. Nobody fought and I'm not in a gang now.
frozen-north wrote: No, it does not. Neither the paper you are referring to, nor the article that started this thread are any good.
It does for me. Like the last piece of the puzzle to the answer what's wrong with all the "everybody is offended" trend. I saw kids like these in my childhood, nobody liked them. And now more and more kids in the US and probably some other developed countries are raised in this fashion.

Also I got it as a counter-argument to the thread starting article which is a stretch in my opinion. It's lazy thinking to blame the tech tools for society's problems.

proger

Post by proger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Britkid wrote:It looks to me like the generation below us is going to be a bit smarter than we are. Yes, there are some things a bit better, some a bit worse, but overall you are being a bit harsh.

One problem with not having a smart phone is I believe that you can't use whatssapp if you just have a regular phone and a computer at home, (or can you? is that right?). You may need to be in whatssapp group with other parents at your kids school or the group of your apartment/condominio or work colleagues. It could even lose you a chance to make a new friend if someone offers to connect by whatsapp and then you have to say you don't have it. They hardly know you yet, they are not going to bother to text/call you to get to know you. I can't remember the last time someone in Chile sent me a text message instead of whatsapp. Texts are dead. When they ask if you have whatssapp they expect you to say yes. If you don't that might contribute to a failure to integrate culturally in Chile or at least missing out on a few things. That's the only problem I can think of with not having a smart phone, though.

Well there is one other one, it can very occassionally be useful to have internet access while out.

I have never paid money for a smart phone. Occassionally someone has taken pity on me and given me one at Christmas.

I have been sat in restaurants with my friends in the UK and everyone at the table was on their smart phone but me, and I didn't have one so I just had to sat there and stare at the walls.

I actually dislike smart phones. To me, they are a tool with a practical use. I don't enjoy using them like I do with a computer or a kindle. But at least I don't have to stare at the wall in a social situation.

Yes, agree about the whatsapp thing, definitely helps around...

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Space Cat wrote:
It does for me. Like the last piece of the puzzle to the answer what's wrong with all the "everybody is offended" trend. I saw kids like these in my childhood, nobody liked them. And now more and more kids in the US and probably some other developed countries are raised in this fashion.

I am not sure what are you referring to with 'the answer what's wrong with all the "everybody is offended" trend'.
' I saw kids like these in my childhood'
Had those kids been raised on smartphones? And they were the only kids raised on smartphones?

If you look at the links I posted, you will see that it is not the first time that something has been blamed as the cause of society's problems, only to be replaced by something else a few years later.
Also I got it as a counter-argument to the thread starting article which is a stretch in my opinion. It's lazy thinking to blame the tech tools for society's problems.
So, you proceed to blame the parents? As I said already, it is all Dr. Spock's fault. :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Probably we are not on the same page then. The linked paper names it "the culture of victimhood".

There were no smartphones during my childhood, I got one when I was 25.