prepping, for the super rich

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: prepping, for the super rich

Post by admin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 am

P.s. i can not believe i have never read jack london's "iron heal", and i thought i had read most everything he had written. It seems to be jack london's 1984 / brave new world.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:30 am

admin wrote:P.s. i can not believe i have never read jack london's "iron heal", and i thought i had read most everything he had written. It seems to be jack london's 1984 / brave new world.
Terrific book, read it in grammar school. Jack London was a great novelist. It was the inspiration for Orwell's 1984.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Funny how they don't understand that an individual will not last long after any social collapse. Communities and connections will matter, not how many cans of food you hoarded.

But this amount of individualism and self-absorption often made them super-rich in the first place.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Super-rich American ‘preppers’ buying in New Zealand ready for US doomsday
Published time: 24 Jan, 2017 10:49
Edited time: 24 Jan, 2017 11:13

https://www.rt.com/business/374891-us-c ... uper-rich/

So the going to Canada claim was misdirection but the masses with pitchforks once again found them out! Run elites run! :lol:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Space Cat wrote:Funny how they don't understand that an individual will not last long after any social collapse. Communities and connections will matter, not how many cans of food you hoarded.

But this amount of individualism and self-absorption often made them super-rich in the first place.
Well put!
--- Bertrand Russell

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 pm

The trickle is turning into a torrent ? http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8874617 ... es-our-way

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Space Cat wrote:Funny how they don't understand that an individual will not last long after any social collapse. Communities and connections will matter, not how many cans of food you hoarded.

I agree with you, but I know plenty of middle class and even poor who have a survivalist mentality.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:21 am

I think the miscalculation about New Zealand as a safe haven, is the risk posed by being so close to the Southeast Asia instability. They will wake up one day with a flood of Asian boat people on their front lawn, because something went horribly wrong in Asia.

Chile's neighbors have their ups and downs, but Chile is mostly out of sight out of mind to the rest of the World. Go to google news for a bout a month, everyday, and google "Chile". You will see perhaps on a really busy day, one or two articles that even mention the country in English. 50% of the time, you will still get more articles promoting chile the spice, more than the country.

It is funny, I have emergency evacuation plans in Chile for staying where I am at. Which, small town, rural area, lot's of friends, probably not a bad option for 99% of emergencies that could happen. I also have plans for evacuating to Santiago. Say, the power grid in the south goes out for an extended period of time or something, and we still need to work; but, mostly that is relate to some sort of medical need or personal emergency that might come up just because we live down south. Such as say someone in the family needs extended medical treatment only available in Santiago for a few months. However, my thinking is that in a major national disaster, Chile will pour resources in to protecting and stabilizing the Central region at the expense of the rest of the country first. I also have some plans to fall-back in to the more remote parts of the Patagonia, if that seems to be the play of the day. We got lot's of places to stay, friends, and so on much further south. Nothing, ever, really happens there. After the 2010 earthquake we had friends down there that did not hear about the earthquake for months.

Then we have the get out of Chile plans. Something really goes wrong in Chile, and we simply need to leave Chile for short, medium, or even permanently due to some drastic catastrophe. I have a short list of places to go around the World, some in South America, some in Europe, some in North America. All with friends and resources available to build a new life if we needed to. It would be no different if I lived in the United States, or Europe, or wherever I was living. Don't go anywhere, you don't know how to get yourself out.

When I lived in Guatemala, the small IT company I ran with my partners had a standing evacuation plan. In the event of the collapse of Guatemala society (sometimes was hard to tell the difference vs a sunny day), each one of the partners were to take one of the hard drives of our backup data, split-up, and make our way to Puerta Varta Mexico by whatever means we could, and we would regroup there.

The point is, that history dictates that those that migrate, move, are mobile in a crisis tend to survive. The Jews that read the tea-leafs and got out of Europe before the Nazis really started doing bad things to them vs. the German Jews that could not believe their country would turn on them like they did is an example.

The whole bunker building, hunker down, survivalist philosophy, I think is a waist of money, time, and resources beyond dealing with some relatively short to medium term emergency (e.g. the power is out from an earthquake, but the country is otherwise functional); when typically the better option is to move, and move fast. It also creates a danger of getting to attached to places and things. It is another sort of hording mentality, that causes people to stay too long. People try to protect their land, their house, their car, their stash of bullets and guns, or even worse their government (that is most likely is their biggest threat any day of the week). They are just things. Use it or loose it.

Survival is often not just about continuing to breath. It is about quality of life. I just got done reading a book about the allied POW's on sumtra island during WWII. A chapter of the war that really has been ignored. I am not sure many of the "survivors" would have consider what they did as "living".

Does it really sound like fun living in a bunker in Kansas the rest of your life after say a nuclear attack on the U.S.? Perhaps for few weeks, a month, but as some point I think I would rather risk a move to somewhere you could start a life over again. The guys risking their life crossing the Mediterranean on rafts seem to have come to the same conclusion.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Good post admin.

john

Post by john » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:55 pm

admin wrote:I think the miscalculation about New Zealand as a safe haven, is the risk posed by being so close to the Southeast Asia instability. They will wake up one day with a flood of Asian boat people on their front lawn, because something went horribly wrong in Asia.
New Zealand is a long, long, long way from Asia by boat. :)
--- Bertrand Russell

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:46 pm

john wrote:
admin wrote:I think the miscalculation about New Zealand as a safe haven, is the risk posed by being so close to the Southeast Asia instability. They will wake up one day with a flood of Asian boat people on their front lawn, because something went horribly wrong in Asia.
New Zealand is a long, long, long way from Asia by boat. :)
Not that far for desperate people, but yeah that Tasman sea is very rough too, but NZ is certainly a lot closer than Chile, boat people generally head to Aussie where they are thrown in jail to rot on a pacific atol, The one thing though that is true is be it NZ or Chile is that its relatively far away from anything major in the northern continents. Chile has its pros and cons, but NZ has become for the mega rich not even the average rich, the mega rich, so someone that is relatively rich, still doesnt have enough to throw down 20 million dollars on a farm and another 4 or 5 for a house, but the net level down, the rich with say 5 to 10 million are going to do a hell of a lot better setting themselves up here for sure. Hell that money the could buy an island and seal themselves off from the rest of the world for the natural lives if they wanted. If you dont have more than 50 or 100 million (Im guessing a hell of a lot more, probaby only billionaires get that treatment actually) the government probably wont even let you in the door to give you the citizenship to buy your land without requiring approval. Anyone can get residency to buy propperty for a few million, but if you want to buy lage tracts you have to be a citizen to get passed getting aproval from whats known as the overseas investment office

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Yea, I guess you could say Chile is the discount New Zealand for cheapskates and the poor (less than a billion dollars in the bank, although I am sure there are a few them around too).

We have lot's of clients come in to Chile and for a few hundred thousand dollars do what the mega rich are doing in New Zealand (buy a good size piece of land, build a self-sustaining house, etc), plus get residency and citizenship.

If you are willing to live on a lot less land / house (sorry swimming pools and helicopter pads will cost you extra), it can probably be pulled off for around $50,000+ (assuming you know what you are doing). Then also, my neighbor landed a helicopter on his front lawn, and he only has 5,000 square meters. Not sure I would try that. Perhaps in the neighboring pasture you could land a bush plane or helicopter.