Goodbye, and best wishes for the future

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Goodbye, and best wishes for the future

Post by john » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:02 pm

Charles,

I very much appreciate the opportunity you have given me to actively participate on AllChile.net during the past eight years. The wealth of information sharing on AllChile.net is extensive and highly valuable. AllChile.net is a very important public service for which I commend you, and I wish you every success going forward. However, it has become increasing clear that the views and sentiments expressed by me are not shared by the majority of forumites, and, therefore, that our interests are no longer in alignment. Accordingly, to use an idiomatic expression, I feel it is time for me to gracefully "exit stage left".

To all other forumites, it has been a privilege to have engaged in discourse with many of you. I have learned a great deal from this interaction for which I will be eternally grateful. I offer my best wishes to you and your family members and hope and trust that you will be successful in all your future endeavours.

Farewell!

Respectfully,
John
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

frozen-north

Re: Goodbye, and best wishes for the future

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I am sorry to see you are leaving. I'll miss your postings; related to Chile, or not.

All the best.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Shame John, always a comment that was worth consideration, unlike some others who seem to relish reducing it to a personal level, and which would have been far better dealt with by PM rather than polluting these pages.

Goodbye and good luck.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Goodbye John - Pity that the 'noise' got so loud!

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Being one of those who had an often contentious back and forth with you over politics. Im never the less very sorry to see you move on.
You provoked me to define and defend my views. Relentlessly.
Which I obviously never could do as eloquently and calmly as you.
Thanks a million for that. Your patience. I wish you well.

Maybe Trump will get impeached, and you'll feel compelled to return and let me have it.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:54 pm

You need to get things back into a normal perspective, its all just internet bs at the end of the day, no reason for you to go.
Sent you a pm.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 am

It's a bit of a mistake to bring US politics to the forum, not all of us are from there, and the hatred gets to be too much. We didn't even get this worked up about Brexit, which is arguably an even more seismic shift for the country concerned. Maybe if US politics were sequestered to somewhere like the patio, you could call it the dumpster, and have arguments out there all day...

I left you my contact details John, just in case you'd like to stay in touch. Do you plan to throw a patagoniax and replace all your posts with xxx? :mrgreen:
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:43 am

john wrote:However, it has become increasing clear that the views and sentiments expressed by me are not shared by the majority of forumites, and, therefore, that our interests are no longer in alignment. Accordingly, to use an idiomatic expression, I feel it is time for me to gracefully "exit stage left".
This sort of "I don't want to talk with you because you're not from my echo chamber" disconnection created by the liberal part of the society is the exact reason why you just got this president.

While I hold very liberal views towards most of the hot topics, I cringe when people rooting for "inclusion" but exclude everyone who's not cool enough for the "progressive" hugbox.

Please strive for unity, empathy, and mutual understanding wherever you're going. Good luck!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:11 am

What you got the call to be Trump's Seratary of State????? Don't go, I to enjoy reading your posts...........
It's all about the wine.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 am

FrankPintor wrote:It's a bit of a mistake to bring US politics to the forum, not all of us are from there, and the hatred gets to be too much. We didn't even get this worked up about Brexit, which is arguably an even more seismic shift for the country concerned. Maybe if US politics were sequestered to somewhere like the patio, you could call it the dumpster, and have arguments out there all day...

I left you my contact details John, just in case you'd like to stay in touch. Do you plan to throw a patagoniax and replace all your posts with xxx? :mrgreen:
Actually, I think we've done a pretty good job, at least I myself generally have sought to, keep the US politics on the obviously US political threads. The forum has lots of threads. It is perfecftly possible to just pass on contentious politics entirely, the titles are pretty clear. You know what youre getting into. And Im sure a lot of visitors just check out the discussion for merely morbid fantasy, or entertainment, without even feeling compelled to dive in. Its pretty cathartic, and scary at first, participating. Before John came along, I wasnt inclined to, or felt I had adequate knowledge to. I had to really learn something to go at it with John. He often played me like a harp, Thats fine, I have plenty more to learn. A good thing. John sparked it in me, the political participation, and I am eternally grateful for his stuborne far left views. No one can tell me I havnt bothered to listen to the other side of things. I spared with John. The man is a wealth of progressive opinion, and at least I heard him out, and visited plenty of his links. Call me biased, but not uninformed, thanks in large part to john.
And I hope he doesnt do a PX and delete the body of his post. A rather weak practice, deleting, I think. You put it out there, own it. I hope my girls can look back at my posts some day, and, for better or worse, have another pretty good source of what their father's views and some shared experiences were. An easier task in this day and age. Thanks Charles. Dont ever close this forum. Not without providing the material first. Beware of those FCC bastards, or whoever.

Speaking to Frank's point, I would actually suggest any one who wants a certain tone or parameter, to a political topic themselves take that to the patio, requiring a more cordial tone. It might be far more manageble, if thats what youre after. Otherwise in an open forum, I recognize that raising the intensity, or even trollishness, is too hard to control for posters like me. Just sayin.

Any way, if anyone feels I chased John away, ooops, sorry.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:35 am

john,

I think you are full of it. I also personally like you and have enjoyed a periodic chat at Kaffee Klatsch.

This Jexit of yours is silliness. If you must insist on it, then you have my contact info, stay in periodic touch.

John Hyre

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:39 am

Maybe we should build a wall between politics and the forum :) Sorry to see you leave John.