Useless country ratings strike again

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Useless country ratings strike again

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 pm

I've encountered another "Expat Rating" and it's ridiculous as always if you take a look at Chile's placements. It really looks like all these "researches" push their Ecuador/Cost Rica/Panama/whatever agenda each time:
https://inassets1-internationsgmbh.netd ... survey.pdf

Overall: 39 from 60, near Morocco and Malaysia
Travel & Transort: 37, lower than Thailand where there is no public transport on the most popular islands
Health: 49, lower than Russia (and believe me - Russian healthcare is a disaster even if you have money)
Safety & Security: 36, near Kazakhstan that has 2.5 times higher homicide rate

But what I enjoyed most and the reason I decided to post it here is the "Ease of Settling In" table.

Feeling welcome: 42
Friendliness: 57 (from 60!!)
Finding friends: 53

And as a bonus:
Work-Life Balance: 56, worse than 12-hours-work-day South Korea (41)

bert.douglas

Re: Useless country ratings strike again

Post by bert.douglas » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:I've encountered another "Expat Rating"
Health: 49, lower than Russia (and believe me - Russian healthcare is a disaster even if you have money)
A family member recently arrived in western siberia ( just east of Urals) with multiple detachments in both retinas. He had no difficulty finding prompt high quality treatment at a reasonable cost. The latest German equipment and a doctor trained at the factory on how to use it.

So not a disaster.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:46 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Space Cat wrote:I've encountered another "Expat Rating"
A family member recently arrived in western siberia ( just east of Urals) with multiple detachments in both retinas. He had no difficulty finding prompt high quality treatment at a reasonable cost. The latest German equipment and a doctor trained at the factory on how to use it.

So not a disaster.
I'm not saying it's not functional. :) There are plenty of amazing doctors, especially in big cities though they usually earn less than US $1500 a month.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 am

Seriously useless ranking. Does it say anything anywhere about number of respondents?
I really like the language part. What on earth is that based on? How easy it is to learn the native language? If yes, then I am somewhat bewildered to Kenya being no 1 and UK being no 20?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

The real estate developers and other expat dependent businesses (expat magazines, relocation and immigration companies, banking for expats, etc) in the typical expat destinations in central america are in trouble (Ecuador, Argentina, SE Asian included). They are the ones that over expanded in the 2004 to about 2010, then the bottom fell out for Americans buying real estate in Latin America craze (they got slammed by the U.S. / Europe housing bubble too), along with most of the economies in those countries (e.g. commodities tanked). There just was not sufficient Americans and Europeans to go around.

Now Chile is a mega threat to them, because it has not fully imploded. It is pretty much flat lined. I don't see any change, year over year, in the numbers or types of people moving to Chile. Kind of same old, same old. Perhaps some growth in interest from people in other developing countries to move to Chile (e.g. China, India). I would say I have seen an increase in high-networth people moving to Chile, and / or people that are well traveled. Big drop in people that were paper-rich with mortgage / real estate money since 2008, but that is no surprise. Perhaps a bit of a pull back from Europeans, but I almost write that off to the fact that people with money can buy real estate as cheap or cheaper in parts of Europe right now (hell, I have kicked around the idea of buying something).

Chile always was, and will always be, a destination for those that have been everywhere else. They tend to appreciate what it is, and is not. The place for the typical social security check retired American, looking for a cheap beach resort to stretch their small budget, Chile is not; so, good luck with Moscow.

Had we been a pure play relocation type business, we would have gone under back in 2009. We sort of seen that one coming about 2007, when an old ranchers (don't think he could even read or write) in the Patagonia while looking at his 1.5 million dollar property with a couple of Americans, one time leaned over to me and whispered, "Do those gringos really have the money"?

Good question. Turned out most of them did not. They had drank the mortgage offer kool-aid the banks were pushing in the United States. Those that managed to actually buy, using that mortgage money from the banks in the States likely did o.k., because they managed to save themselves. Those that were too late to the party, around late 2007, we started seeing one real estate deal after another where they could not close for lack of money.

For us, it was a rather simple and cheap to shift gears to focus on more traditional international legal work. Imagine what it is like to have 100 million dollar property development in central america, that won't be done for 5-10 years, when your customer base evaporates. Meanwhile, the number of "expat destinations" exploded. So suddenly, rather than a few dozen, highly concentrated markets of expats, everyone thought it was a good idea to get in to it.

I'm glad Chile is not over-run with the expat crowd. Better to have a nice stead stream, that can resist the fad expat destination thing, than be drowning in expats one day and they all disappear the next.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 am

The Independent actually wrote an article based on that survey:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 16316.html?

Tells you how much to trust newspapers...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:26 pm

I am curious to see how big an impact the Zika hysteria in the States has on those countries (and Florida). There was some study out that like 60% of Americans would not visit countries or areas outside the U.S. where Zika was common. To be fair, only 36% of Americans have a passport, so who cares if 60% of the 64% without passports said they won't go where there is Zika. They would never leave home anyway.

Chile might get a major boost, just for the lack of Zika.

Not like they bothered to mention dengue fever, Malaria, etc is in almost all those "top relocation" destinations on their list. Zika is the least of the problems.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:28 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Is it just me or why is this a bad thing? Keeps the riffraff (especially the shit-for-brains US baby boomer types) away.

The intelligent will come because they are intelligent and do their own research and think independently.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:34 pm

admin wrote: Chile might get a major boost, just for the lack of Zika.
This map is from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC)

The area marked in orange are the countries with active Zika virus.

[img]zika%20south%20america.jpg[/img]
Attachments
zika south america.jpg
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:46 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote: Keeps the riffraff (especially the shit-for-brains US baby boomer types) away.
Might be a bit late for that as that ship has sailed.:)
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 pm

It's funny how people want to post and discuss things they don't agree with.

Although, "useless country ratings strike again" really delivers as a thread title. It has a great ring to it.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268