Brexit

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Re: Brexit

Post by john » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Bill, appreciate you providing your perspective.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

tomtomuk

Post by tomtomuk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Reading the comments from admin at the start "can I vote 'who cares'" is laughable. Who is this dork? Does he work for Spencer global because if he does then I won't be using their services. Clearly someone who has no ties, or interest in the UK which is fair enough but also highlighting their ignorance about how the EU works. If anythin, being in the EU is probably just as likely to start a war when you look at the way countries are ripped apart by it.

tomtomuk

Post by tomtomuk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Also laughable is the Scottish first minister's hypocrisy about wanting to be an independent country taking away control from Westminster, which I can understand although I think it's bad for Scotland and the UK. However, to then want to give that freedom away to Brussels is really ironic is it not?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

For the record

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 pm

tomtomuk wrote:Reading the comments from admin at the start "can I vote 'who cares'" is laughable. Who is this dork? Does he work for Spencer global because if he does then I won't be using their services. Clearly someone who has no ties, or interest in the UK which is fair enough but also highlighting their ignorance about how the EU works. If anythin, being in the EU is probably just as likely to start a war when you look at the way countries are ripped apart by it.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Hurrah, the Supreme Court has upheld Parliamentary Sovereignty.

Brexit: Supreme Court says Parliament must give Article 50 go-ahead
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38720320
--- Bertrand Russell

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Agreed John, but there are many here who still think it is all going to be overturned. No matter how many times it is explained it is the procedure not the decision that was being decided there an awful lot of people, including my wife, who can't understand it.

No matter how many times it has been on the radio and tv trying to bring it down to the lowest denominator there are many who think that Parliament will try and stop it. Interesting point from the Lordships that for all her blustering the leader of the SNP doesn't have a say in it.

I can see the reason for going for the executive powers, it was to move it on quickly, now we are going to have all sorts of delaying tactics, the SNP alone threatening at least fifty questions in Parliament when it is debated. However the repeal of the relevant Act that took us into the Common Market (as it was then) is set to be in the House next Thursday.

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Billhere wrote:Agreed John, but there are many here who still think it is all going to be overturned. No matter how many times it is explained it is the procedure not the decision that was being decided there an awful lot of people, including my wife, who can't understand it.

No matter how many times it has been on the radio and tv trying to bring it down to the lowest denominator there are many who think that Parliament will try and stop it. Interesting point from the Lordships that for all her blustering the leader of the SNP doesn't have a say in it.

I can see the reason for going for the executive powers, it was to move it on quickly, now we are going to have all sorts of delaying tactics, the SNP alone threatening at least fifty questions in Parliament when it is debated. However the Act of withdrawal is expected in the House next Thursday.
Bill, your assessment on what is likely to happen next will probably turn out to be accurate. For me, the real issue now is how best to negotiate the terms of Brexit. While I believe that the outcome of the Brexit referendum was a clear decision to leave the EU, it has also been interpreted by the government as a decision to leave the EU single market (even though the referendum contained no such language). Moreover, the apparent decision by Theresa May to have a 'hard' Brexit outcome in advance of the start of Brexit negotiations is a fundamental mistake from my perspective. But, let's see how it all play's out...will be a very interesting process to follow.
--- Bertrand Russell

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 am

The reason for the clean break I think relates to the free circulation of people within Europe. Any links the UK may wish to keep with the EU will have that as an absolute proviso of any deal, and that is exactly what the people of the UK, who voted that way, want to stop.

Not those who come here to work, or better themselves, but those who come to take advantage of our welfare state arrangements. The retail and agricultural sector is heavily dependant on foreign labour but these people make a contribution. A load of Eastern Europeans living in cars under a motorway in London claiming all they can don't, and that is what annoys people here.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:45 am

So Mrs May is off to see Mr Trump today. That should be an interesting set of meetings. I don't think she might the sort of walkover that he might think, she has developed very well in the last few months and is nobody's fool.

The talk is of a trade agreement I hope it goes well, we are going to need all the friends we can get in the next couple of years, but I can't help thinking it will be used as a means on inserting a crowbar into a tiny crack in the EU as a whole, and when you get the suggested Ambassador to the EU saying that the Euro might be a dead duck within eighteen months it doesn't look too good.

I always wondered why the French always have two prices on their goods, the Euro in big letters, and the French Franc in smaller ones alongside, so perhaps they are not taking any chances!

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Billhere wrote:The reason for the clean break I think relates to the free circulation of people within Europe. Any links the UK may wish to keep with the EU will have that as an absolute proviso of any deal, and that is exactly what the people of the UK, who voted that way, want to stop.

Not those who come here to work, or better themselves, but those who come to take advantage of our welfare state arrangements. The retail and agricultural sector is heavily dependant on foreign labour but these people make a contribution. A load of Eastern Europeans living in cars under a motorway in London claiming all they can don't, and that is what annoys people here.
Understand that reasoning, but the wider questions of national and cultural identity also played a significant part in leave voters decision, as did the assertion that leaving the EU would be more economically beneficial (e.g., free up £350M a week extra to spend on the NHS). Of course, we have no way of knowing if the outcome of the Brexit vote would have been any different had the Referendum language actually specified that leaving the EU also meant leaving the EU single market...but, I suspect it would have tipped the outcome of the Brexit vote to the side of the remain camp.

Concur with your concerns about abuse of the welfare system. Clearly, the EU needs a more rational immigration system and the "freedom of movement within the EU" policy is not sustainable. I would have preferred a different outcome of the Brexit vote as I believe the UK could have been a major influence in effecting needed changes of the EU Charter from within the EU. I also still hold to my opinion that the UK will be significantly weaker economically outside the EU and that a large percentage of leave voters (particularly low income ones) will disproportionately bear the brunt.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Billhere wrote:So Mrs May is off to see Mr Trump today. That should be an interesting set of meetings. I don't think she might the sort of walkover that he might think, she has developed very well in the last few months and is nobody's fool.

The talk is of a trade agreement I hope it goes well, we are going to need all the friends we can get in the next couple of years, but I can't help thinking it will be used as a means on inserting a crowbar into a tiny crack in the EU as a whole, and when you get the suggested Ambassador to the EU saying that the Euro might be a dead duck within eighteen months it doesn't look too good.

I always wondered why the French always have two prices on their goods, the Euro in big letters, and the French Franc in smaller ones alongside, so perhaps they are not taking any chances!
Theresa May is going "cap in hand" to Washington...and Trump know's it. I predict the meeting with be long on pageantry, symbolism and platitudes but short on substance. Trump is an avowed protectionist who has said that US trade policy will be "transactional" which doesn't bode well for the continuation of any 'special relationship'. The following articles highlight the difficulties she faces in making any meaningful headway...because the reality is that the UK has very little to gain from a bi-lateral trade deal with the US.

UK-US trade deal will have 'very small upsides' for Britain, says former Bank of England economist
Cutting tariffs would bring little benefit, economists say, because duties between the US and UK are already very low
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk-us ... 46866.html

Once again the British Government is overestimating its influence in the US. Theresa May might as well stay home
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/don ... 47891.html
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Brexit- fast forward 2016~2019.. The Brits had more than 2 and half years to devise a plan to separate from the EU but still does not come to agreement in British parliament. A few days a go they voted No to PM May's Brexit plan presented to parliament and she got beaten up 220 to 437 or so. Are we to see the soon to great again GB breaking out of EU grasp without any accord?

If that to happen, GB will be corralled to fight an enourmous hard battle against formidable EU. Its economy will go down precipitously and all Brits will suffer the consequences. Exports from GB will be facing tariffs from the EU making British made products impossibly at handicap.

Japan alone has more than "one thousand" firms operating in GB with fabrication plants all over the UK not even counting other international firms established in GB as well. They all pretty soon has to close-down those factories or curtail its production...They have till 3/29/2019 to exit from EU or, just prolonged its exit by asking the EU for its restructuring but I see the EU not granting that wish? Where is GB or UK heading?

https://theconversation.com/brexit-how- ... -eu-109966

Brexit: how article 50 could be extended to delay UK’s departure from the EU..

In the aftermath of the crushing defeat of the government’s Brexit plan in the House of Commons, the question on everyone’s lips is “what next?” Opinion is divided: some say the UK is now heading for “no deal”, others for “no Brexit”.

If nothing is agreed, current UK law means the UK will leave the EU without a deal on March 29 – two years after the prime minister, Theresa May, triggered article 50, the article of the EU treaty which governs a state’s withdrawal. If the UK takes the decision to revoke article 50 the UK remains within the bloc with all its rights under EU law intact.

But both major parties insist that it is still possible to conjure up a new Brexit deal. As time is now very short, debate is turning to extending article 50, deferring the date on which the UK leaves the EU.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.