Brexit

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Billhere

Re: Brexit

Post by Billhere » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:09 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: Economy for better future dreaming migrants, or perhaps genuinely refugees, doesn't matter to the gendarme of Le France.
Weather those so called refugees or economic migrants, they are put in the Bus and distributed to "el campo region" elsewhere in France.
But take in consolation and appreciate that the Frenchee are at least putting a damper for those clowns to infiltrate to Great Britain .
One thing always intriguing me,evry time news footage hits the TeeVee most of those, have good command of English and flashing expensive smartphones, why is that, they go to English prep school before arriving to destination encampment ?
When I hit the Uni back in the 70's in NY, just arriving, and my Japanglish was remotely as good as those used from the so called refugees?
There are already several hundred already back in Calais, that is if they ever actually left in the first place.

2000 camped out in a makeshift city right in the centre of Paris near the Gare du Nord. The Police there have cleared it away twice according t the newspapers and as fast as they are being knocked down they reappear elsewhere nearby, so the problem has not gone away, in fact it would seem to be worse.

I cannot imagine the Parisians standing for it very long, they have a reputation for rudeness amongst the French so it should be interesting especially when the politicians have had enough and the CRS (riot police) move in. They seem to have been very restrained so far.

As for how they appear there were reports of 'refugees' arriving by private plane in Sweden in the early days of all this, getting off the plane and claiming asylum saying they were fleeing from Beirut, so they are not all uneducated.

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Interesting analysis on immigration impact...

Immigration After Brexit
http://ner.sagepub.com/content/238/1/R13.full.pdf+html
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Latest news...the constitutionality of Parliamentary Democracy has been upheld.

Brexit court defeat for UK government
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 95191.html
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... parliament
--- Bertrand Russell

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:38 pm

And quite right too.

I saw this coming almost immediately after the vote, but all it will do is drag this out even further. I await the views of the learned Judges at the Supreme Court, and if it still doesn't go the right way there is talk of going to the EU Court, something people voted to get away from !

Chaos, and disorganisation whichever way you look, but that is our democracy at work.

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Billhere wrote:And quite right too.

I saw this coming almost immediately after the vote, but all it will do is drag this out even further. I await the views of the learned Judges at the Supreme Court, and if it still doesn't go the right way there is talk of going to the EU Court, something people voted to get away from !

Chaos, and disorganisation whichever way you look, but that is our democracy at work.
The Brexit vote was to leave the EU, not necessarily a vote to exit the EU Single Market (i.e, a "hard Brexit"). The economic consensus points to potentially devastating socio-economic impacts (particularly for those on the lower economic strata) from a "hard Brexit" which is why it is imperative that Parliament (both houses) approve the key terms of Brexit in advance of the UK government triggering of Article 50.
--- Bertrand Russell

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Was disappointed today that I was unable to withdraw 400,000 pesos, presumably due to my 500 pounds withdrawal limit. I did manage to withdraw 390,000 but it wasn't long ago I was getting the full 500,000 for slightly less cost in pounds. That is a big difference.

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Britkid wrote:Was disappointed today that I was unable to withdraw 400,000 pesos, presumably due to my 500 pounds withdrawal limit. I did manage to withdraw 390,000 but it wasn't long ago I was getting the full 500,000 for slightly less cost in pounds. That is a big difference.
The good news is that current exchange rate is now improving after today's High Court decision. :wink:
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:54 pm

And now this latest news to further complicate matters...

Brexit: Majority now want to remain in EU, poll finds
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 95811.html
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm

What does Brexit mean?

It is a word that has become used as a shorthand way of saying the UK leaving the EU - merging the words Britain and exit to get Brexit, in a same way as a possible Greek exit from the euro was dubbed Grexit in the past.
Why is Britain leaving the European Union?

A referendum - a vote in which everyone (or nearly everyone) of voting age can take part - was held on Thursday 23 June, to decide whether the UK should leave or remain in the European Union. Leave won by 52% to 48%. The referendum turnout was 71.8%, with more than 30 million people voting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Theresa May sets Brexit course away from EU single market.

Theresa May has set Britain on course to leave the EU by 2019 in her first major speech on Brexit, saying that the UK would become a “fully independent, sovereign” country in the clearest sign yet that she wants a clean break from Europe’s single market.

Although Mrs May’s team denied she had decided to quit the single market, the EU sees the free movement of workers and oversight of a single court as indispensable pillars of a common market.

“She seems to be saying that regaining sovereignty is so valuable, she is willing to pay a price in terms of economic disruption,” said one senior EU diplomat.

Mrs May said she wanted to give “British companies the maximum freedom to trade and operate in the single market”, but not at the expense of allowing free movement or accepting the jurisdiction of judges in Luxembourg.

Meanwhile she told the conference that the UK would trigger Article 50, the official legal notification to its EU partners that it is going to leave the bloc, “no later than the end of March”.

https://www.ft.com/content/dea04ec2-888 ... 9f5696c731
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 am

There have been a lot of articles expressing trade concerns stemming from Theresa May's recent declaration that the UK would be exiting the EU single market. However, this article in today's Independent, by the author of Article 50, provides a different perspective on the Brexit negotiations.

Article 50 diplomat predicts 'one in three' chance of no Brexit deal
'Article 50 is not about trade, it is about divorce'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 34611.html
--- Bertrand Russell

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Long way to go yet, but if you are going to make a break make it a clean one then there is no chance of Brussels being able to use the bit you got left in the EU as a lever.

Strangely enough the most vociferous critic so far has been Malta which holds the EU presidency of the Council of Europe until June of this year. Quite scathing really considering they have a population of 419,000, the smallest in the EU, and have the power to veto everything, and it sounds like they might. You can get a flavour of the way it might go when Joseph Muscat says that the UK cannot expect a deal better than those already in the EU, but something considerably less, thereby trying to stave off other countries who might be thinking the same as us. Certainly the Netherlands are watching this all very closely indeed. Judge things when he is proposing an EU deal with Turkey of all places to deal with migration, and praised the EU for 'exceptional leadership skills' in dealing with the migrant problem so far. He must be mad.

Countries themselves seem quite quiet, the leader of the EU seems a little more relaxed than before but as he says it is gone to be 'very,very,very difficult', but we are in for a rough ride regardless of the promises from other countries, including the US. Front of the queue from the ginger one, but I wonder which side will come out with the better deal if it happens.

Scotland - delusional. Northern Ireland - got its own problems, and in danger of imploding shortly with real social and political problems.