Brexit

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Billhere

Re: Brexit

Post by Billhere » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:43 pm

We are both diesel, and they are the diesel prices, only differing from petrol by a penny a litre, so no difference really. Fuel in France by the way is at least 21 pence a litre cheaper, whether diesel or petrol, which is why when we go shopping in Calais for the day I make sure my van, which has an eighty litre tank, is running on fumes when we get there. It is the government tax that makes the difference.

Diesels may be in decline as new vehicles, but ours are thirteen and fourteen years old. Years ago diesels were the industries choice, they were pushed very hard on economy grounds but paid for by sluggish performance, but a big gain was economy. At one time I was running a 1.9 Citroen on a sixty five mile daily round trip to work on just over 4.5 litres, which worked out at 59 mpg. At one time I was running the same car on recycled cooking oil which was half the diesel fuel cost and gave the same economy, although in the Winter the oil started to thicken up and made the engine performance very sluggish until it got warm.

I drove the last version Honda 4 wheel drive the other week on a delivery job. It was quiet, very fast and still giving just under the 60 mpg mark for economy. Six speed box, just over 2500 rpm at 70 mph, ad a diesel, so they are still in vogue. The argument seems to be today that they are more polluting than petrol. Thousands of diesels about, especially the French ones, and will be here for years yet.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 pm

I understand Morrison's has raised the price of Marmite by 12% and that a number of supermarkets have raised prices on many other Unilever products.

Hmm, I really do wonder how real this all is, the only part of the Marmite brand that is not 'home grown' is the glass bottles that holds the finest accompaniment to toast known to man. The container comes from somewhere in Europe, and it is still cheaper to buy in Costco's as of last Thursday when my wife was shopping there.

As for other other Unilever products we use a trade only warehouse where their weekly offers are often two for one, or 50% off on things like washing powder. Ok, it may only be for a week at a time, but it is replaced by something else the next week which gives a bit of a lie to these raised prices. Either that, or any raised prices haven't worked their way through to the bulk trade sellers yet. I do have my doubts.

I run the catering side of our local railroad club show and food prices have been static for the last four years, and that includes American hot dogs, industrial size tins of tuna and beans, and bread and bacon for butties so either the wholesalers are taking the increases (which I doubt) or there haven't been any. Nice to look back and see that we are paying the same prices as in 2014. Having said that the Westler giant hot dogs were actually cheaper this year in a promotion at Tescos so we got our supply there and saved 99 pence overall.

john

Post by john » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Billhere wrote:I understand Morrison's has raised the price of Marmite by 12% and that a number of supermarkets have raised prices on many other Unilever products.

Hmm, I really do wonder how real this all is, the only part of the Marmite brand that is not 'home grown' is the glass bottles that holds the finest accompaniment to toast known to man. The container comes from somewhere in Europe, and it is still cheaper to buy in Costco's as of last Thursday when my wife was shopping there.

As for other other Unilever products we use a trade only warehouse where their weekly offers are often two for one, or 50% off on things like washing powder. Ok, it may only be for a week at a time, but it is replaced by something else the next week which gives a bit of a lie to these raised prices. Either that, or any raised prices haven't worked their way through to the bulk trade sellers yet. I do have my doubts.

I run the catering side of our local railroad club show and food prices have been static for the last four years, and that includes American hot dogs, industrial size tins of tuna and beans, and bread and bacon for butties so either the wholesalers are taking the increases (which I doubt) or there haven't been any. Nice to look back and see that we are paying the same prices as in 2014. Having said that the Westler giant hot dogs were actually cheaper this year in a promotion at Tescos so we got our supply there and saved 99 pence overall.
You could be the advertising spokesperson for Marmite. :) Recent news articles indicate that the major supermarkets have started passing through at least some of the cost increases from Unilever, on Marmite and other food items...and it's not just on Unilever products.

Sounds like your local railroad club has the right person running the catering end of things. 8)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... und-brexit
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:35 am

Morrisons have been having financial problems the last couple of years. They were originally a north country supermarket chain who took over a southern group, possibly over expanded and have struggled, so they may well have been the first to give in.

My wife uses Persil, owned by Henkel and licenced for manufacture by Unilever, and she bought her latest big box from the wholesale warehouse at nearly 50% off. A loss leader possibly, but she pays nowhere near the equivalent price of the supermarkets. Having had a quick look through a list of Unilever products, we don't actually seem to use a lot of their stuff. The other English staple - tea, is taken care of with Yorkshire tea (not grown there), a mans taste in that English essential.

Funnily enough my wife buys her Knorr stock cubes in either France or comes back laden from Chile because she says it tastes different.

Anyway, no doubt we will be paying more eventually, just seems some are getting in early.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:43 am

No sign of anything on the Brexit front government wise except the French insisting we take some of the abandoned children from the Jungle camp in Calais. Children in this case are those under the age of eighteen, and having seen the photos I am more eighteen than some of them. One came here and then declared he was twenty three, another arrived saying he was sixteen and then went on a dating site saying he was twenty two. Children to me look like children, those under about thirteen, and need some help, those over that sort of age, well I don't quite know. I do wonder about the worldy wisesness (!) of those checking these people. I had experience many years ago of dealing with gypsy children who were quite clearly sixteen or more and insisting that they were twelve, and therefore below the ago of criminal responsibility, and the thing was the Social Services agreed with them.

We have been very wary about taking in refugees, and no wonder when a headline in a Friday red top newspaper declared that a Syrian refugee with four wives and twenty two children had just claimed £320k ($390k) in aid from the German government in the last year. They had arrived as part of the open door policy and seems to have milked a system that was unprepared for them. When told by the Germans he had to choose one as his main partner he said he was unable to as his religion said he had to treat all equally.

Only one, very extreme, example there but probably more about of the same ilk. He says he wants to work, but can't. I don't suppose he has the strength anymore!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm still waiting for "Saint'' Bob Geldof to accommodate three or four refugee families in his own houses as he generously promised last year, and of course he wanted others to follow his unselfish example.

But since then it hasn't happened. He must have realized what he was letting himself in for.....

Twat.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/so ... -refugees/
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Billhere wrote:No sign of anything on the Brexit front government wise except the French insisting we take some of the abandoned children from the Jungle camp in Calais. Children in this case are those under the age of eighteen, and having seen the photos I am more eighteen than some of them. One came here and then declared he was twenty three, another arrived saying he was sixteen and then went on a dating site saying he was twenty two. Children to me look like children, those under about thirteen, and need some help, those over that sort of age, well I don't quite know. I do wonder about the worldy wisesness (!) of those checking these people. I had experience many years ago of dealing with gypsy children who were quite clearly sixteen or more and insisting that they were twelve, and therefore below the ago of criminal responsibility, and the thing was the Social Services agreed with them.

We have been very wary about taking in refugees, and no wonder when a headline in a Friday red top newspaper declared that a Syrian refugee with four wives and twenty two children had just claimed £320k ($390k) in aid from the German government in the last year. They had arrived as part of the open door policy and seems to have milked a system that was unprepared for them. When told by the Germans he had to choose one as his main partner he said he was unable to as his religion said he had to treat all equally.

Only one, very extreme, example there but probably more about of the same ilk. He says he wants to work, but can't. I don't suppose he has the strength anymore!
nd having seen the photos I am more eighteen than some of them.
Ha,ha,haa, in accord with your comment! Those so called refugees cleaned up in Calais, they all flashing smartphones and they're all looking expensive ones? Refugees that can afford high end smartphones? And they all clearly vociferating that their goal is the mighty GB..cause there pay is way higher than Hollande's mother Le France..Refugges bearing expensive smartphones and pretty wise in knowing the the Great Britain will embrace them with open hands..!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:41 pm

fraggle092 wrote:I'm still waiting for "Saint'' Bob Geldof to accommodate three or four refugee families in his own houses as he generously promised last year, and of course he wanted others to follow his unselfish example.

But since then it hasn't happened. He must have realized what he was letting himself in for.....

Twat.
And a number of other 'celebrities' the same, Juliet Stephenson and Benedict Cumberbach who used to give the audience a verbal blasting every night after his lead appearance in Hamlet slagging off the Government for not doing more. Time moves on, and so has he, now that he is an even bigger 'celebrity' and getting better paying acting roles.

Perhaps they realized they were going to be taken for a ride like some of the countries in Europe are starting to be now.

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:48 pm

[quote="HybridAmbassador
Refugges bearing expensive smartphones and pretty wise in knowing the the Great Britain will embrace them with open hands..![/quote]

Not much chance now, this is what the core of Brexit is about. I am working part time now to keep me out of the wife's way. I work here and there with Poles and Rumanians without problems, and they have no problems either because they pay their way.

It is the likes of those posing as children at over twenty one and being admitted there is a problem with. They have cracked the system, they are here, they can say what they like because they will now claim asylum and be allowed to stay instead of being shipped back to France, or their country of origin, or at least to the country they say they are from.

We are our own worst enemy sometimes because we are too lenient. I actually envy the French sometimes where things are a little more robust.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:40 pm

Well, all those rounded up refugees are put in buses and destined to way in the interior cities all over Le France.
When the refugees arrive at designated cities or villages, then the welcome banner which displaces " We don't want them"
"Send them back where they came from" "Refugges are criminals" Etc. Etc.. I see footage in Tee Vee's that they are put in a nice hotel like edifice and given " designer brand " clothing.. But outside the building where they are lodging, fierce and savage Frenchs vociferating,go home yankees, er, refugees. Perhaps Mr.Hollande should send them to Ms, Merkel?
EU has opened a can full of worms, and they keep coming, mercy on those refugees..

Billhere

Post by Billhere » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:33 am

There is a difference between refugees, with whom I have every sympathy, and economic migrants, with whom I don't as they are riding in on the backs of those in real need.

Problems in Paris last night with the former Jungle people who don't like the idea of having their details taken so that the French might actually know who they are! That has always been a problem as the bottom line is they are all illegal immigrants, and many are very reluctant to go through the basic register of their host countries knowing who they are.

All very well Governments inviting them in but the nuts and bolts of actually identifying them has not been addressed as far as I can see, judging by all the covered up faces, and camera shyness whenever there is a news item.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:41 pm

"Billhere"]There is a difference between refugees, with whom I have every sympathy, and economic migrants, with whom I don't as they are riding in on the backs of those in real need.

Problems in Paris last night with the former Jungle people who don't like the idea of having their details taken so that the French might actually know who they are! That has always been a problem as the bottom line is they are all illegal immigrants, and many are very reluctant to go through the basic register of their host countries knowing who they are.

All very well Governments inviting them in but the nuts and bolts of actually identifying them has not been addressed as far as I can see, judging by all the covered up faces, and camera shyness whenever there is a news item.[/quote]
There is a difference between refugees, with whom I have every sympathy, and economic migrants, with whom I don't as they are riding in on the backs of those in real need.
Economy for better future dreaming migrants, or perhaps genuinely refugees, doesn't matter to the gendarme of Le France.
Weather those so called refugees or economic migrants, they are put in the Bus and distributed to "el campo region" elsewhere in France.
But take in consolation and appreciate that the Frenchee are at least putting a damper for those clowns to infiltrate to Great Britain .
One thing always intriguing me,evry time news footage hits the TeeVee most of those, have good command of English and flashing expensive smartphones, why is that, they go to English prep school before arriving to destination encampment ?
When I hit the Uni back in the 70's in NY, just arriving, and my Japanglish was remotely as good as those used from the so called refugees?