Passenger Vehicle Sirens

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

seawolf180

Re: Passenger Vehicle Sirens

Post by seawolf180 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Of course it saves time, not having to let them go. Or turning them over to prosecutors and judges who will usually release them anyway. As the president of the Prosecutor's Union made clear, to paraphrase....they dont want that many Chileans jailed, so they just release them.
The law and policing is present in Chile to keep us all safe. History clearly proves that. Except regarding minors maybe. It is the judiciary and the shit leftist politicians who appointed them, that subject us to the crime.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 pm

seawolf180 wrote:We were talking to PDI detectives, who told us they hate being REQUIRED to drive around with their lights on. It has totally efected their efectability in many cases, and makes them feel ridiculous forfeiting the element of surprise.
Driving around in a massive white 4x4 with PDI slapped on it, and big blue lights, even if turned off, wouldn't be very subtle at the best of times though I guess. They do have undercover guys though, although I don't know the ins the outs, how effective, or moral on crime fighting, as most people don't go to prison for long if at all.

But you got to think also, one of the problems is the life style people want to live on the small wages, this doesn't help. If they fined more for minor things, like the appualing driving, that would save more life and bring the whole of society up in line. Prisons are expensive, and only one end of the spectrum as far as crime/misbehaving and getting away with things.

buzzdriving

Post by buzzdriving » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:40 pm

admin wrote:yea, I was driving in Santiago last week and heard a police siren, started wiping my head around in traffic to figure out what direction it was coming from, then seen the car alarm from a parked car was making the sound. Guess some alarm company decided it was a good idea to imitate the police siren. Never encountered that before.
Mystery confirmed. You're right. I've spotted two parked cars with lights flashing in the past two weeks with the same alarm going. So presumably, there are a bunch of cars in the surrounding edificios with sensitive alarm systems that go off in the morning. God knows why.

Anyway, my frustration has an explanation now, so I just have to work on accepting it.

Chile-Dog

Post by Chile-Dog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Well of course seawolf, in this liberal culture you want to give the bad guys as much of a chance as possible.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 pm

It just wouldn't be Chile without all the needless noise.

To the OP, it will turn into a love/ hate thing as your time in Chile goes on. As annoying as it is, when I leave Chile life becomes kind of quiet. And every time I return, I know I'm back because of all the needless noise. The same noise that once drove me nuts, but now brings me an odd sense of comfort and warmth when I hear it.

Such is Life in Chile.
Living the life!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm

I just was in San Francisco for a week and US emergency services are much louder and the frequency is very annoying. It's hard to stay near the road without closing ears when fire engine passes by.

papageno

Post by papageno » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Space Cat wrote:I just was in San Francisco for a week and US emergency services are much louder and the frequency is very annoying. It's hard to stay near the road without closing ears when fire engine passes by.
Which is why the crewmembers wear hearing protection while rolling to a call. Well, maybe these are dual purposed as comm sets, but the point remains that in order to communicate amongst themselves, first they have to seal out the noise.

john

Post by john » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Space Cat wrote:I just was in San Francisco for a week and US emergency services are much louder and the frequency is very annoying. It's hard to stay near the road without closing ears when fire engine passes by.
It's an anti-tourist measure. :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell