Passenger Vehicle Sirens

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

buzzdriving

Passenger Vehicle Sirens

Post by buzzdriving » Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 am

Hi all.

New to the boards but been in Chile for 2.5 months now.

I have a question that's been nagging me for the last couple of weeks. I'm in an edificio at a major intersection in Nunoa. Every morning I'm woken up by multiple soundings of a series of different emergency alarms. It's like couple of seconds of police sirens, followed by couple of seconds of firetruck, followed by ambulance, truck backing up, telephone ringing etc, etc. There's about what feels like seven or eight sirens that play rapidly one after the other. I hear this several times each morning.

This week I was walking along the street and heard the same siren coming down the street. I whipped around to see what vehicle was producing this cacophony and couldn't see anything significant. As the sound came nearer, I realised it was coming out of a non-descript soccer mom white panel van!

So my question is, WTF! :| :|

zer0nz

Re: Passenger Vehicle Sirens

Post by zer0nz » Sat May 28, 2016 5:17 am

buzzdriving wrote:Hi all.

New to the boards but been in Chile for 2.5 months now.

I have a question that's been nagging me for the last couple of weeks. I'm in an edificio at a major intersection in Nunoa. Every morning I'm woken up by multiple soundings of a series of different emergency alarms. It's like couple of seconds of police sirens, followed by couple of seconds of firetruck, followed by ambulance, truck backing up, telephone ringing etc, etc. There's about what feels like seven or eight sirens that play rapidly one after the other. I hear this several times each morning.

This week I was walking along the street and heard the same siren coming down the street. I whipped around to see what vehicle was producing this cacophony and couldn't see anything significant. As the sound came nearer, I realised it was coming out of a non-descript soccer mom white panel van!

So my question is, WTF! :| :|

everyone in chile uses the same alarm... they are horrible!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 am

yea, I was driving in Santiago last week and heard a police siren, started wiping my head around in traffic to figure out what direction it was coming from, then seen the car alarm from a parked car was making the sound. Guess some alarm company decided it was a good idea to imitate the police siren. Never encountered that before.

Which is all the more annoying that the police and ambulances drive around with their emergency lights on, even when it is not an emergency.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:25 am

making sense is not a prerequisite in Chile.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:59 am

The beacons on police vehicles allow them to cruise around in an island of tranquility, as the malulos spot the flashing from a long way off, and can easily get out of the way. Makes sense from the police POV anyway, means less work for them......as for all that noise, it didn't used to be that way, but that's a whole other story.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sat May 28, 2016 1:52 pm

"making sense is not a prerequisite in Chile"
:lol:

buzzdriving

Post by buzzdriving » Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I understand that the emergency vehicles might abuse their privileged siren use, but that's my point. These clearly are *not* emergency vehicles but private ones. In my home country, and I'm guessing most of ours on these boards, using a siren in a private vehicle would be considered a serious misdemeanor and you would be made to pay a heavy penalty. I just can't believe that it's legal to do this!

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Sun May 29, 2016 12:53 am

Police and ambulances/etc just driving around with their lights on is terrible.

Non-police/etc having lights and sirens is also terrible.

Not sure what is legal, I am a little familiar with the norm. I am glad that I mostly drive only to-from work.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun May 29, 2016 2:14 am

If I recall correctly, I think a regulation states that all emergency vehicles must always have their emergency lights on.
I think someone told me about it (perhaps px), and I subsequently ran into the regulation. It might take a bit of effort for me to find it and prove it.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

katml412

Post by katml412 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 pm

The police lights confused me when we first arrived here. I kept checking out our window to see if something was happening in our neighborhood.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:47 am

admin wrote:
Which is all the more annoying that the police and ambulances drive around with their emergency lights on, even when it is not an emergency.
One of my most hated things of Chile. Ambulance times must take twice as long due to this.

Carabineros do now use green or off in none emergency in Santiago, and red for emergency recently. Ambulances are the one that annoy me the most, as their tones vary, and some are very quiet. Never mind, it's only quality of living and Darwin at work I suppose.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:23 pm

We were talking to PDI detectives, who told us they hate being REQUIRED to drive around with their lights on. It has totally efected their efectability in many cases, and makes them feel ridiculous forfeiting the element of surprise.
Don't Tread On Me Either.